Universal Air Filter fit

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Universal Air Filter fit
(I thought this would be the most appropriate place for this thread.)

So today in the post I received a universal cone air filter courtesy of ozonehostile. Whilst originally thinking "ITS f*cking MASSIVE" I thought f*ck it, i've bought tools lets give this bad boy a go.

Alas, after taking apart my box and air system, it was f*cking massive. Lucky for you guys I took some pictures. In doing so I hope you can advise me how to go about getting it fit.

My conclusion is it needs a pipe that's small and one end and larger at another. (Induction kit?)

Air filter box lid off (air filter very dirty, found a few too many flies):
[Image: 379860_10200308241083075_2047626824_n.jpg]

It all together, come right down to the front:
[Image: 931430_10200308242043099_1810162269_n.jpg]

Dirty bastard:
[Image: 936384_10200308242363107_1300685213_n.jpg]

As you can see, on the left is the end of the air filter, on the right is size by which my system goes by, quite a difference!
[Image: 934756_10200308246043199_399867223_n.jpg]

Finally, what is this extra bit on the right that connects to the air box? Seems something to do with oil? I left my handbook in Surrey so I can't look it up.
[Image: 484400_10200308243923146_721617919_n.jpg]

Hope you can advise me on what to do next! Also there is loads of space when the box is taken out if it was to hang there freely, (obvs held in place by the tube, cable ties etc).

Thanks in advance.
Thanks given by:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Silicone...3f0b266a56

Would something like this work? But maybe aluminium?
Thanks given by:
lash insulation tape round the throttle body to make it big enough so the filter fits jubaliee it on job done!
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
I see what you're saying, where abouts on my system would you recommend? (From the second picture). Keep the box?
Thanks given by:
I did mean put the filter directly onto the throttle body but after a second look the filter wont fit i dont think due to the throttle linkage.

take the filter out the air box, do away with air pipe and put it on there.

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Thanks for your help buddy, just to clarify, you mean this part?

[Image: 399817_10200308582811618_1811427877_n.jpg]
Thanks given by:
it wont fit due to the linkage. this is exactly the same thing i did a few years ago. Keep the air box but take the filter out and obviously clean the insides of the box. Then the filter should fit straight onto the box.

What youre missing is the adapter rings. You should have just bought new off ebay as nearly all filters come with adapter rings!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Twin-Cone-Univ...3ef774b574
Thanks given by:
yea thats the bit mate just take the standard filter out whack some tape round till it fits then put filter on

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
(27-04-2013, 03:04 PM)SRowell Wrote: it wont fit due to the linkage. this is exactly the same thing i did a few years ago. Keep the air box but take the filter out and obviously clean the insides of the box. Then the filter should fit straight onto the box.

What youre missing is the adapter rings. You should have just bought new off ebay as nearly all filters come with adapter rings!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Twin-Cone-Univ...3ef774b574

yeh was looking at them but thought it would be ok thats why i got it straight off ozone. I did try and fit it into the box but as its a cone rather than the oval one it doesn't fit straight in.

Have you possibly got a picture handy of what you did?

(27-04-2013, 03:08 PM)Danny2009 Wrote: yea thats the bit mate just take the standard filter out whack some tape round till it fits then put filter on

I'll definitely give this ago mate, thanks for your help.
Thanks given by:
(27-04-2013, 01:30 PM)MRiches Wrote: Finally, what is this extra bit on the right that connects to the air box? Seems something to do with oil? I left my handbook in Surrey so I can't look it up.
[Image: 484400_10200308243923146_721617919_n.jpg]

That's the oil breather pipe...the bit that dirties your filter lol. TU engines seem to chuck loads of oil through the breather so you can't just leave it open (I did and ended up with a bay splattered with oil). Your choices are to add a long pipe onto the throttle body for the cone, then make a hole and stick the breather into the side of that pipe (how the induction kits do it) or to add an oil catch tank to it instead.
Thanks given by:
it will work ive done it loads of times, just like using the proper adapters Wink

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
(27-04-2013, 03:12 PM)Toms306 Wrote: That's the oil breather pipe...the bit that dirties your filter lol. TU engines seem to chuck loads of oil through the breather so you can't just leave it open (I did and ended up with a bay splattered with oil). Your choices are to add a long pipe onto the throttle body for the cone, then make a hole and stick the breather into the side of that pipe (how the induction kits do it) or to add an oil catch tank to it instead.

Ahh yeh I've heard of the oil catch tanks.

In theory, if I was to do what danny has said, still have the box etc, therefore the that pipe would still be connected to the box. Would that be fine? Or would the air induction then take in that oil, due to the filter being taken out of the box.

Sorry if that seems a stupid question my knowledge is pretty non existent.
Thanks given by:
not into the box! on the end of the box. This was my first car. 1.4 Tongue

[Image: 2011-08-02185923.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Oh dear.

Don't put it on or in the box lol, just get a bit of pipe....
Thanks given by:
but then what do you do with the oil relief pipe? i think thats what it is. the one that plugs into the air box!
Thanks given by:
(27-04-2013, 03:54 PM)SRowell Wrote: not into the box! on the end of the box. This was my first car. 1.4 Tongue

[Image: 2011-08-02185923.jpg]

Brilliant, this is exactly what I needed! Ok so I see you still have that oil pipe connected to the box, what's in the box? And where does that extra oil go to?
Thanks given by:
nothing is in the box. its empty. otherwise it would be double filtered. What im calling the oil pressure relief line is actually the oil breather. Hardly any oil actually comes out of it its just gas. If there is any small amount of oil its not going to do any damage anyway as itll just sit in the bottom of the box.
Thanks given by:
But you're losing the noise by letting the air bounce around in the airbox....

You make a hole and join in the breather as I said. Tongue

And I dunno about yours but my TU spat quite a lot, especially at higher RPMs. It doesn't do any harm though, just dirties the box tbh.
Thanks given by:
(27-04-2013, 06:10 PM)SRowell Wrote: nothing is in the box. its empty. otherwise it would be double filtered. What im calling the oil pressure relief line is actually the oil breather. Hardly any oil actually comes out of it its just gas. If there is any small amount of oil its not going to do any damage anyway as itll just sit in the bottom of the box.

Ahh ok that makes sense! Is it true you lose the noise?

(27-04-2013, 08:44 PM)Toms306 Wrote: But you're losing the noise by letting the air bounce around in the airbox....

You make a hole and join in the breather as I said. Tongue

And I dunno about yours but my TU spat quite a lot, especially at higher RPMs. It doesn't do any harm though, just dirties the box tbh.

If I were to do this what material you think would be best? I've seen silicon tubing at 45 and 90 degree angles, would be easier to fit that breather.

If it was to be metal tubing I don't really have the tools to sort it.
Thanks given by:
no idea about loosing the noise. It gives the manifold a greater area inside so you might loose a bit of noise. Of course you should get a pipe and do it but on ebay they are like £80! Id just put it on the box like i have done for now so its working and you can judge for yourself. Then you can spend some time looking into a proper pipe etc.
Thanks given by:
(27-04-2013, 10:19 PM)SRowell Wrote: no idea about loosing the noise. It gives the manifold a greater area inside so you might loose a bit of noise. Of course you should get a pipe and do it but on ebay they are like £80! Id just put it on the box like i have done for now so its working and you can judge for yourself. Then you can spend some time looking into a proper pipe etc.

Good shout, that's what sundays are for! Fiddling about with cars. Just need to get some insulation tape.
Thanks given by:
Silicone would be fine, just need a reducer from the TB to cone.....will cost less than a tenner and comes in pretty colours lol...
Thanks given by:
Just to update you guys, got another cheaper and slightly smaller universal cone, also came with smaller fitting rings which worked a treat. Had to trip the rubber a bit so it would fit around but managed to get it securely fitted to the main injection! nice airy space for it as well. Thanks for your help along the way guys.

[Image: 269945_10200330591041810_1683966851_n.jpg]

[Image: 420677_10200330592041835_570542662_n.jpg]

[Image: 282350_10200330591001809_1681579438_n.jpg]

As you can see nothing is on the oil air escape, thinking of getting one of those mini filter thingys ive seen just to get it covered up.
Thanks given by:
shame my old one didnt fit, xud pipe sizes must be a fair bit bigger than the petrol engines
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
AHHHH this is such a bad idea!!!! how is that getting any cold fresh air??? thats just sucking in dirty warm air now Doh

You should really use both of the below to take the cone to the front of the engine bay where the air is cool

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/90-Degree-57mm...4ac170f262

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metal-Alloy-Al...3f10f73c3e

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Dude route it down to behind the passenger headlight, that's getting ,major heat soak
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
It's a 1.4....you really don't notice the difference lol, its for noise, not power.

Even on the 1.8 where the cone was pretty much sitting on the rad it didn't make any noticeable difference, its not until you get something that's actually got some power you notice the heatsoak.
Thanks given by:
Theres an absolute massive area of nothing where it is. At the moment theres no other place I can put it and don't have any tubes or pipes to move it.

[Image: 269945_10200330591041810_1683966851_n.jpg]

You can see in this in the middle next to engine that small metal piece what was holding the orginal filter piping in place, its bolted to the side of the engine and also holds some other wires in place, I was going to have it there, attached to the box as in SRowells picture but unless I get rid of that it wont fit.

Then further down past that bit is the radiator piping which surely is hotter than where it is now?

It's in a nice open space not near anything too hot so will it really be a major problem like this? Again I don't know much so any advice is welcome, also my funds aren't great being a student... Not much in the way of tools either. (DIY skills even worse if I had to put together a system to get it to the front.)

[Image: timspics099.jpg]

This from another forum that a guy did to his 1.4. Looks like he has the original piping up to where the box would still be, looks like that would then bring the cold air up to the space and where the filter fits.

What do you think?
Thanks given by:
I think air doesn't travel in straight lines...keeping the original pipe there won't make a difference imo....
Thanks given by:
It wouldn't put a grate deal of cool air over there, ideally you'd want to extend it right up to the filter

cheap and cheerful http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-76mm-Flexi-I...27c020da53

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by: