Manual Boost Controller and wastegate adjustment

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Manual Boost Controller and wastegate adjustment
Right, first let me say, wow! An MBC really IS a great improvement. There is next to no turbo lag now and the boost flies all the way up without slowing down when the wastegate starts creeping! I think that the manual boost controller overrides the wastegate as on the lowest setting of the MBC I am getting a peak boost of 17 psi when before I was getting 14.5 psi which is standard. So as I understand it I do not have to touch the wastegate anymore, correct?
Thanks given by:
Correct i think.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Yes wg standard and mbc does the work, it is a great improvement over shortening the bar!
Thanks given by:
Heh, KKK K14 turbo on mine anyway so it's even more of a faf to adjust than a T2 which has a bar to shorten! Loving it so far!
Thanks given by:
(25-04-2013, 08:00 AM)306Puggy Wrote: Heh, KKK K14 turbo on mine anyway so it's even more of a faf to adjust than a T2 which has a bar to shorten! Loving it so far!

i would say K14 is easier to adjust than a T2 . . . .go figure . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
k14 is so easy to adjust!

takes me about 4/5min max and thats with jacking the car up for better access!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
But it doesn't work for over 19psi it is dangerous and will blow your turbo. You can adjust an MBC from inside the engine bay and it is the proper way to set it up. Also with the other benefits it absolutely flies and I'm only running 17 psi!
Thanks given by:
Right, but if you dont add preload you'll only get so far with an MBC until exhaust mani pressure starts to force the wastegate open
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Damn, I didn't think of that! So I have to add preload to the spring in the wastegate still? I was under the impression that the MBC completely overrides the wastegate, but now I think about it like you said there is nothing to stop the exhaust gases in the mani. What is the best setting to have it on? Just screwed all the way in?
Thanks given by:
(25-04-2013, 09:00 PM)cwspellowe Wrote: Right, but if you dont add preload you'll only get so far with an MBC until exhaust mani pressure starts to force the wastegate open
I didnt get this on my k14 even when I put the 30psi gauge right round to vacuum.

(26-04-2013, 06:35 AM)306Puggy Wrote: Damn, I didn't think of that! So I have to add preload to the spring in the wastegate still? I was under the impression that the MBC completely overrides the wastegate, but now I think about it like you said there is nothing to stop the exhaust gases in the mani. What is the best setting to have it on? Just screwed all the way in?
Just stay below 40psi and you'll be fine!
Thanks given by:
Cool, thanks con.
Thanks given by:
Welded WG FTW lol
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
That means that you can't adjust the boost though :\
Thanks given by:
You can only give the car enough fuel to make so 24psi. Thats how welded gate people do it, through fuelling.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(26-04-2013, 09:48 AM)306Puggy Wrote: That means that you can't adjust the boost though :\

I can by adding or lowering fuelling Smile im happy with 28psi atm and when resealed manifold upping to 35

Then will be looking at 40psi with 11mm and devilsown kit Smile
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Heh, nice if you've got a spare engine handy I suppose! Thing must fly. So there is no benefit to an MBC for the people going for a high power tune then? I always thought an MBC was the "proper" way of adjusting the boost, seems like I needn't have botheredUndecided But then I don't know anywhere that does welding or how I would get the turbo there without my car working so...Undecided
Thanks given by:
MBC is the proper way of adjusting boost but not always the easiest, it's hard to fit the wastegate in near the bulkhead with a TD04 for instance . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
I would go the effort of having a working wg, you aren't controlling boost with fuel your limiting fuel with boost imo. eg 2 identical cars, or the same car different time Wink one wg one without, the turbo/engine/ic etc is capable of say 24psi, thats the limit, anymore the turbo breaks or doesnt add air, the wg'd car will be able to run more fuel and be faster......no?
Thanks given by:
De-wastegate: Car can produce as much boost as it wants as it's deregulated. It also means every last drop of exhaust gas spins the turbine, which produces silly heat and can drastically shorten turbo life. All the while the turbo is spinning up at silly high speeds, the compressor isn't efficient enough to flow more than a maximum rate of air, so while the turbo is running itself into an early grave, there's no real benefit past a point. Welding wastegates just means faster spool and crazy bad heat/stress

Wastegate and MBC: wastegate stays shut until the desired boost pressure is reached, pretty much no wastegate creep, turbine spins up to peak RPM's for your desired boost pressure, excess EM pressure is diverted out the wastegate and down the exhaust, turbo is happy for a long time. It also controls boost very well, as opposed to a de-wastegated blower that does whatever the f*ck it wants until it decides to overspeed the turbine, bits break and everyone gets sad.

Ruan will back me up on this. If you want big boost pressure, fit a stronger actuator spring and an MBC. Don't just de-wastegate it, i'm the king of all rednecks and even I wouldn't do that after learning the hard way.

/rant
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  T2 wastegate arm AdamInNi 4 1,372 02-09-2014, 11:02 AM
Last Post: Dave
  welded wastegate help daveylennon93 16 3,791 31-07-2014, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Dum-Dum
  kkk turbo wastegate adjustment LewisG306 5 1,374 22-06-2014, 05:52 PM
Last Post: LewisG306