Guess who's broken down!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guess who's broken down!
I ran my hdi soo low the needle didn't even go into the red on many occasions and only cut out once :p mine also lit eml for afew days
TD04 11mm Sedan, now 2.1 vnt

Sedan Project http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-5763.html

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
China 5dr '6 Death by cambelt failure
Matt White HDI estate Death by wiring
Sedan Dturbo aka triggers broom
Diablo estate Dturbo Living dead
Thanks given by:
Bit wank that from the french

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
2 can play at this game

[Image: 541781_10152711613185632_1423327988_n.jpg]
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Tom's right, they cut off completely in higher gears on the hdi.

But that still doesn't make it 0 mpg, quite the reverse haha!
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(17-04-2013, 06:54 PM)Poodle Wrote: Tom's right, they cut off completely in higher gears on the hdi.

But that still doesn't make it 0 mpg, quite the reverse haha!

No it really IS 0 mpg if you think about it. Yes you're covering miles, but you're using zero gallons - zero multiplied by anything will still be zero. Or have I got my maths wrong?
Thanks given by:
Yes, you have got it wrong... it'd be 0GPM

Oh and I ran out twice in my DT, it used to run out on a 1/4. Had my Audi reading 0 miles left twice too, made it though
Thanks given by:
It makes no difference surely?

Say you coast for 2 miles (long hill lol) 0gallons/2miles is still 0mpg. Confused

Whats odd with the Vec is it changes to gph under 8MPH - Gallon per hour lol......which is 0.1 while idling usually.
Thanks given by:
No because for however long it is, you'll be doing, say, 80mpg. So for those 2 miles, you've saved a small amount of fuel. 0MPG is if you'd made no progress at all. Come on Tom, I thought you were the MPG expert? Wink
Thanks given by:
(17-04-2013, 04:52 PM)ginge191 Wrote: 2 can play at this game

[Image: 541781_10152711613185632_1423327988_n.jpg]

Hahaha! Was that today?
Thanks given by:
No tom because the engine still uses fuel to idle. Thats why its actually more economical to stay in gear with your foot off the throttle if the momentum will keep you at the speed you want. because the management usually cuts all fuel when in gear but 0 throttle.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
How can it be 80mpg?

We need some maths experts here - zero multiplied or divided by ANYTHING is still zero. You're using zero fuel, so 0mpg!

You could have a 500 mile hill and still do 0mpg as you wouldnt use any fuel at all...0 gallons!

Its not so difficult lol. lol
Thanks given by:
But for the purpose to accurately work out fuel consumption, it would have to be 0MPG, rather than the 99999999.9999MPG the scanguage shows?
Thanks given by:
(17-04-2013, 08:10 PM)Niall Wrote: No tom because the engine still uses fuel to idle. Thats why its actually more economical to stay in gear with your foot off the throttle if the momentum will keep you at the speed you want. because the management usually cuts all fuel when in gear but 0 throttle.

Err, thats what we're talking about Niall, keep up! The injectors shut off if you're over about 1500rpm with no throttle.

It'll be using no fuel at all at that point.

(17-04-2013, 08:12 PM)callumcull Wrote: But for the purpose to accurately work out fuel consumption, it would have to be 0MPG, rather than the 99999999.9999MPG the scanguage shows?

Finally! Big Grin Someone gets it lol.
Thanks given by:
oh my bad!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Do the injectors really cut off below 1500, the scanguage still displays 999.99 with no throttle under 1500?

(17-04-2013, 08:13 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(17-04-2013, 08:10 PM)Niall Wrote: No tom because the engine still uses fuel to idle. Thats why its actually more economical to stay in gear with your foot off the throttle if the momentum will keep you at the speed you want. because the management usually cuts all fuel when in gear but 0 throttle.

Err, thats what we're talking about Niall, keep up! The injectors shut off if you're over about 1500rpm with no throttle.

It'll be using no fuel at all at that point.

(17-04-2013, 08:12 PM)callumcull Wrote: But for the purpose to accurately work out fuel consumption, it would have to be 0MPG, rather than the 99999999.9999MPG the scanguage shows?

Finally! Big Grin Someone gets it lol.

Ha, win!
Thanks given by:
(17-04-2013, 08:15 PM)callumcull Wrote: Do the injectors really cut off below 1500, the scanguage still displays 999.99 with no throttle under 1500?

It might be down to like 1100rpm in the HDi, I never had a scanguage so couldn't say.

BUT if it goes down low enough to be governed then obviously it'll start using fuel again.
Thanks given by:
Yeah for sure!

Don't buy one, you'll stop being arsed to enter numbers in it every time you stop for fuel.

On the other hand, it is very handy for reading and clearing fault codes and engine temps!!
Thanks given by:
Nah I don't want a scanguage anyway lol. And I can clear codes or read data with my fault code reader anyway.

Fed up with the Vectra on borad computer though, the mpg is totally wrong! So I've still gotta work it out manually anyway haha. Shoulda stuck with the Golf, the mpg on that was max of 1mpg out either way!
Thanks given by:
But it won't be using no fuel, just very little. So you will still have an 'MPG' figure. But, my point is, even if for arguments sake it was using NO fuel... it would be zero gallons per mile. You're still making progress, just not using any fuel...
Thanks given by:
How will it be using fuel, wheres it going? Yes the HP pump is still keeping pressure, but until the injector solenoid is operated it won't inject any fuel into the cylinder. It doesn't need to, fuel is only there to keep the engine turning above its mechanical losses (800rpm say)....if you're above those losses with gravity, momentum and the wheels turning the engine (via the 'box obv) why would you need any fuel in there?

But I still can't see how makes a difference whether its GPM or MPG. lol I'll take you're word for that though.
Thanks given by:
(17-04-2013, 08:33 PM)Toms306 Wrote: How will it be using fuel, wheres it going? Yes the HP pump is still keeping pressure, but until the injector solenoid is operated it won't inject any fuel into the cylinder. It doesn't need to, fuel is only there to keep the engine turning above its mechanical losses (800rpm say)....if you're above those losses with gravity, momentum and the wheels turning the engine (via the 'box obv) why would you need any fuel in there?

But I still can't see how makes a difference whether its GPM or MPG. lol I'll take you're word for that though.

I'm with Tom on this!
Thanks given by:
It'll be using no fuel, that's right. But if it's using no fuel, it'll be getting infinite miles to the gallon, not 0.

MPG = miles/gallons

Anything divided by zero equals infinity.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
This^, thank you Alex.

I don't know the ins-and-outs of the modern diesel engine, thought it must be using a small amount of fuel hence there would be a figure... but yeah, that's what I was meaning.
Thanks given by:
Tbh this is a bit of a silly argument anyway because the MPG displays in even the most modern cars dont take a lot of things into account like idling at a stand still or stop start.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Mine was more an argument of common sense than anything
Thanks given by:
(17-04-2013, 09:15 PM)Curt Wrote: Mine was more an argument of common sense than anything

Thats true but then again toms involved so i give it another 8 posts before it is about mpg and not if coasting is infinite mpg or 0 mpg lol
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
That's generous!
Thanks given by:
Toms floating down bypasses in neutral videoing his mpg gauge as we speak.....

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
No no no, in gear, he'll tell you off for that Wink
Thanks given by:
New astra I had said 0.7 gal/hr when idling, sitting in traffic ect. But if accelerating would go to mpg.
so it would be 0 mpg when idling or coasting ect, even though you could travel 2 miles coasting,
So in theory if you travelled at 60mph and coasted 60 miles you would do 86mpg roughly on that astra.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Guess what we have been doing today HDIkyle 18 4,553 04-03-2012, 07:12 AM
Last Post: Jake