Whistling Noise

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whistling Noise
Hello all,

I hope someone can help. My car has developed a very high pitched whistling sound between 2/3000 revs and more so at higher speed mainly from 50 upwards!

It's only started happening in the past few days.

Thanks

Dan
Thanks given by:
Is that on light throttle or hard throttle??

has the performance changed?

is there any smoke from exhaust while this happens?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
It's approx half way on the pedal travel not thrashing it.

Not that I can tell just a god awful noise.

I couldn't see any smoke, it was just getting dark and I was on the motorway.
Thanks given by:
try a hard boost run, 30-60mph in third...as the boost comes on see if the whistling comes on with it...if so...start searching for a boost leak...or new turbo...but lets hope boost leak.

it could alternatively be a aux belt...

friend of mine had me getting a new turbo for her 306....whistling noise....she was 100% on it...till the aux belt snapped
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I have done the aux belt recently, but could be. I'll try do that tomorrow. Anything else to look for?
Thanks given by:
suspect belt if you done it recently...worth a quick look...see if loose
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I'll take a look tomorrow. I'll try record the sound too.
Thanks given by:
Sure you've set the tension on the aux belt properly? Could be a dodgy pulley especially if it's tightened too much
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I had similar was tensioner, started whistling then screaching then grinding over a fair few weeks tho
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
If you did the belt without a new tensioner then the tensioner is probably failing, same happened when I done the belt on my hdi. New tensioner sorted it.
Thanks given by:
Cheers for all the replies. I'll check the belt then. I did it without a new tensioner as it was like new and felt fine, also tensioned it according to the manual.
Thanks given by:
Well today I have been out in the car and done as suggested and don't think it's my aux belt as it only happens between 2500/4200rpm and then stops again. I have attached a video sorry about the quality but it' the only way I could get the video on my own.

[Image: th_12422DEB-A8B0-41B0-A98B-53943F264F38-...1908ce.jpg]

Noise can be heard from 20 seconds onward.

Thanks
Thanks given by:
Its the compressor wheel touching on the housing, time for a new turbo
Thanks given by:
Ohhhhh damn! Better get looking then. What we taking time wise and difficulty for replacing?
Thanks given by:

Thanks to darren its easier, if its your first time book a weekend for it
Thanks given by:
Ohhh that looks ok. I think I could do that myself, just need to find a new turbo or get mine refurbished.
Thanks given by:
Remove the belt and start engine. If noise goes away, then it is coming from one of the pulleys on the accessories, thus eliminating a vacuum leak on the engine.
Thanks given by:
(23-01-2014, 06:30 AM)natashajohny Wrote: Remove the belt and start engine. If noise goes away, then it is coming from one of the pulleys on the accessories, thus eliminating a vacuum leak on the engine.

Hi mate but if you look at the date it was a few months ago he posted this lol
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Loud whistling!! underground375 11 2,439 23-07-2013, 08:58 PM
Last Post: underground375