Loud whistling!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Loud whistling!!
Hi all ive had my turbo derv for about 5 months now, and from what I could remember the turbo never made a noise. The only thing i have done to the car since is remove the standard inlet setup and shorthand the piping to stick one of them aftermarket air filters on. Well for the last 4 weeks or so all i can here now is the whistling from the turbo! After it gets past 7psi it realy go's for it, sounds pretty epic when accelerating with your windows down in a narrow country lane. There no smoke and is still boosting to 12psi, the car hasn't been tuned yet. Apart from the air filter and my FMIC, its a early model so has the decat pipe on it. Any suggestions?
Thanks given by:
Boost leak
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
I could check the fmic piping, This is really loud tho after 7psi, so wouldn't the boost gauage read less then 12psi? Which Is pretty much the standard from factory?
Thanks given by:
Mine currently makes that whistling sound, is on standard tmic, I think it's a boost leak. Wouldn't even know where to begin looking for it though
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
(18-07-2013, 10:39 PM)Matt Wrote: Mine currently makes that whistling sound, is on standard tmic, I think it's a boost leak. Wouldn't even know where to begin looking for it though

The boost pipes might be a start
Thanks given by:
I hate you Vaughan!
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
(18-07-2013, 10:48 PM)Matt Wrote: I hate you Vaughan!

Luv yuuuuuu <3
Thanks given by:
Shame if it was a boost leak!!!!! You get the crappy dump valves or blow off valves. Which don't do no good for the turbo, then you have the whistling i have which sounds epic Sad I guess there is no sound to relate to a turbo'd car which doesn't come with down sides. !!!
Thanks given by:
Turns out it was a boost leak, a pretty bad one, it was on the inlet, which was after the boost gauge hence why the gauge was still reading 12psi. All sorted now! Smile
Thanks given by:
(23-07-2013, 05:40 PM)underground375 Wrote: Turns out it was a boost leak, a pretty bad one, it was on the inlet, which was after the boost gauge hence why the gauge was still reading 12psi. All sorted now! Smile

Not necessarily, the gauge measures pressure, not flow. The turbo could just be spooling enough to still make 12psi even with the leak, just working chronically hard to make the same amount of boost.

I had a hole in a FMIC pipe I could fit my finger in and it screeched like hell, leak was well before the takeoff for the boost gauge and still pinned the wastegate at 22psi even with a chronic leak. Just ran like a bag of spanners and made a horrible howling noise.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Wasn't me.....ohwait
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
I have noticed I have abit of power back that's for sure, when I started to notice the sound I was on the way to my camping holiday, were I had 4 passengers and anuff stuff in the back to make my car look like it was lowered about 60mm. So I put it down to the weight in the back.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Loud noise on startup? Jimmy306uk 20 3,148 29-11-2014, 06:17 PM
Last Post: Mattcheese31
  Whistling Noise DanWY 17 3,309 23-01-2014, 07:14 AM
Last Post: Lwilliams