No High pressure feed from the Pump

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No High pressure feed from the Pump
Posting for a mate round the back of me with a HDI, He basically only has low pressure at the fuel rail, changed the High Pressure pump and still the same, Any obvious things to check as my knowledge of HDI's is zero
Thanks given by:
In tank pump, pull the pipe off to the fuel filter, and crank and see off u get a good strong supply of fuel, other than that u may have a I knackerd injector
Thanks given by:
You got Peugeot Planet miles? Any fault codes or anything untowards?

Likely a dying LP pump or a dicky fuel pressure regulator.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Almost certainly fpr. If youve got any pressure at all the lift pump is probably working fine. Have a look at my guide thread on the subject, should see him right.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Yes the low Pressure pump is fine, good flow to the injectors. No codes but that means nothing on these old Girls,
Will try and find a FPR
Thanks given by:
FPR is on the end of the hp pump, held in by two torx screws.

What's the actual issue, cutting out/won't start/poor running?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Just will not start unless you add some easy start, The seals on the pump have been done but made no difference, If on the pump thou knowing the other pump came off a running engine the same problem was apparent
Thanks given by:
Sounds like you haven't got enough pressure at the rail, but that would throw a code. Only real option i can think of that wouldn't throw a code is the immobiliser.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Have you checked the glow plugs?
Thanks given by:
Glow plugs arent necessary to start an hdi in british weather conditions.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I've seen glow plugs cause this fault before, I've put a high pressure pump on before the realised it was the glow plugs at fault, so they must have some impact when starting,
Thanks given by:
Fair enough, random. Mine dont work and its been fine all winter haha!
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I've never touched a glowplug in the entire 8 years i've had the car, HDI barely uses them. Even in baltic -14 mine started on the dot.

FPR for sure, was my first thought.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
FPR is part of the pump has all been swapped over, You should get allot of pressure when cranking at the rail I would have thought not normal indirect injection flow
Thanks given by:
sounds to me there is too much leakoff on the injectors for the pump to get enough pressure to allow the ecu to inject
Thanks given by:
The fpr doesn't always come with refurbished pumps, thought it was worth checking. The HDi needs ~280bar to fire, not much more than you'd see on an idi. If there really is that little fuel up at the rail, you will have a fault code, try getting a better reader on it.

In the meantime you could stick a multimeter on the FRPS to see what pressure it's seeing - should read about 1.3v at cranking. If that's right then you're looking at a loom or ecu/immob fault.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Thanks so far, he's away for 7 day's now so will pass the info on, Catch 22 as too much time on here isn't cost effective so it's looking like the scrapper at the moment
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  High exhaust manifold pressure dr_jekyll 1 1,247 23-08-2018, 12:51 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  What pressure does the LP pump run at bashbarnard 10 3,138 21-03-2017, 06:53 AM
Last Post: bashbarnard
  Cleaning low pressure pump pick up? JTaylor2005 7 1,643 08-11-2016, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Piggy