V6 help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
V6 help
I'm looking into converting my d turbo to a 3.0l v6 just a weekend toy seen a few on YouTube and just wondered if anyone got any pics and possible quides to look at so I can get everything I need before I start thanks Chris
Thanks given by:
I'll start your list of

1. V6 engine.

In honesty most on here haven't done it, check the gti forum as a few over there have done it and know more about it
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
2. Sledge hammer
[Image: fe6eddc8-1731-4100-a5fe-1edb853a88b6_zpseeacf928.jpg]
Thanks given by:
there arent any guides as far as im aware. You need to talk to spike he was going to do it to his. Problem is you need some custom engine mounts. Id be starting with a petrol 306 to begin with. Starting with a disel means youre going to have to swap the tanks and lines and everything to begin with!
Thanks given by:
306gti6 search it few have done it . personally looks and sound like a right fxck about but if thats if you want very best of luck Smile
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
I was going to do it to the ecosse until I lost my job Sad you will need a custom top engine mount made or make it yourself. Convert the clutch from hydraulic to cable. Make sure you use the earlier engine as its not multiplex so easier to wire in. Its not a hard conversion few members on the 6 forum have done it as said well worth going on to have a look.

Thanks given by:
Is it worth the effort? the engine is underpowered it is not? since from what I can remember the top gear with the 306 v6 said it was kicking out 200bhp which you might as well spend the money making the 6 engine closer to that and enjoy the lighter engine bay handling?

Feel free to shoot down my theorys though
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
you can get 200 brake from the dtub engine with forged internals plus bigger blower!
Quote:(15:06:27) Toms306: Wd40d it and had a good tug, came straight off

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5522]

Thanks given by:
The v6 is 195bhp standard but with a good exhaust and filter 220bhp+ is not unheard of if the engine is mounted correct the car will also still Handel well Smile

Thanks given by:
and more mpg still proberly haha
Thanks given by:
the top end power of a v6 is never going to be that impressive, its all about the torque, the 3.0 v6 is lovely to drive on motorways (abit too thirsty though)

the standard engine is about 200hp but as with any engine, put the work in and you can expect to see some pretty big gains
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Fair enough, just thinking people say the gti6 front ends weight throws handling a little bit against the lighter engine blocks so was thinking a v6 might go that little bit extra

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Charge the fucker and it will be a epic beast Smile

Thanks given by:
(07-04-2013, 09:28 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Fair enough, just thinking people say the gti6 front ends weight throws handling a little bit against the lighter engine blocks so was thinking a v6 might go that little bit extra

true, but in a straight line it will be epic, those v6 lumps with a straight through sound bloody amazing too
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Few bits of info on the conversion.

1. Look for a member called Adam B on 306gti6.com. He's done the conversion and has some very thorough projects put up about it. Apparently it's a world of hurt but well worth it

2. Get the earlier version of the engine with the (iirc) single plug ECU. The later multiplexed ones, while more powerful, are a pain in the lady garden to use

3. The handling is not much different from GTI handling. The XU10 is a monster of a lump with a huge gearbox, the V6's are alloy. Iirc the V6 is only about 30kg heavier including gearbox.

4. You WILL need custom mounts made. The top mount is the biggest ballache to make.

5. You may have clearance issues with the subframe and need to mount the engine slightly higher for the driveshafts to fit. On that note, you'll need custom driveshafts

6. The V6 conversion is epic. Approx 200lbft almost all the way through the rev range, for sheer midrange punch the V6 conversion competes with the low boost supercharged GTI6's.

7. MPG is no worse than a GTi6

8. Again, hunt down Adam B. Get him in a good mood and he'll tell you EVERYTHING.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
A std 406 V6 is quicker than a std GTi6, I even proved this a few times at qtr mile events much to the 306 owners dismay,
I;ve only stuck a V6 engine in a 309 and that went very well, its not just the power but torque of it. Yes it's not huge on figures but you will see the wrong side of 150mph with ease and good MPG if driven well too, Also it will see over 300,000 miles without any issue's.
Thanks given by:
Thanks all this is very helpful just want a project to do and sounds like this could be fun as well as a bitch but oh we'll could have a project post with pics coming soon once got bits to do it defo want to have a crack at it I think
Thanks given by:
the worst bit of the conversion by far will be the paperwork for the dvla. massive farce
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Gd gd ill sort the paper work out after its done if goes to plan but on the other hand what's goin to be the best brakes to fit as I will prob tune the engine aswell to give it that bit more poke
Thanks given by:
I stand corrected, go for the project always interesting to see something new Big Grin

Thanks given by:
Just want a toy for weekends and me got an estate car for misses and little one so got that as a run around this will be the bad boy toy so fuel cost and things like that don't really bother me give some ove the rs focuss something to cry about lmao
Thanks given by:
if your using a 406 engine it would make sense to use 406 brembos
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
IMO, best thing to do is find a 406 v6 and buy it. then you can have them side by side to swap parts over, then sell the rest of the 406 for bits and parts and shell for scrap and you may well make your money back
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(09-04-2013, 08:55 PM)Piggy Wrote: IMO, best thing to do is find a 406 v6 and buy it. then you can have them side by side to swap parts over, then sell the rest of the 406 for bits and parts and shell for scrap and you may well make your money back

^^^ this, check sites selling cat c and d writeoffs, can get cars with light body damage for an absolute bargain
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
theres one in silverlake atm

Thanks given by:
Lol never thought bout that i think ill do that be a lot easier and make sence I surpose cheers
Thanks given by:
Ive done it/ am in the process of doing a swap with the later model engine which needed stand alone ecu but you will need.

-engine and box
- a means to convert the clutch mechanism from pull to push type (this was the biggest faff)
- custom top engine mount
- you can reuse a mix of the dturbo/ V6 gearbox mount.
- custom drive shafts
- new rad, i got one from a golf vr6 mk3 as the outlets are on the same side and make things easier.
- an angle grinder, a big hammer and some cable ties.

can't think of anything else off the top of my head but my build thread is on Club-306
Thanks given by:
That's great stuff mate all gd to go I think but one last thing where can I get custom shafts from or what shafts fit it
Thanks given by:
put it in a cabby!!!
Quote:(15:06:27) Toms306: Wd40d it and had a good tug, came straight off

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5522]

Thanks given by:
^As soon as i seen this i thought of shooms old cabby, sure it was a V6 and it was a beaut!
wonder where it is now
Thanks given by: