EGT/Pyro gauges

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EGT/Pyro gauges
I really need to get mine working, water temps were climbing alarmingly quick the other night during my timed runs and my EGT gauge has NEVER worked.

Was a cheap crappy universal one but it matched my boost gauge so went for it, £22.50 delivered including probe. I've had a replacement probe, no luck, gauge lights up but that's about it.

Anyone else used the cheapo ones with any success?
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
where have you got your probe?
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Both probes and the gauge were from McGill's in Fife. They're usually fine for stuff like that, they've supplied parts for the droplinks I made etc. Customer service is top notch too.

Just not a huge fan of their no-name gauges, although the boost one is absolutely fine

**EDIT oh wait, the probe is located at the collector pre-turbo on the exhaust mani, tip of probe is pretty much central to the turbo entrance
Thanks given by:
I meant where is the probe actually located on your car haha

ive used mcGills for parts too, very useful Smile
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Yeah I re-read it lmao

McGills have been great with stuff in the past for me. Just can't get this damned gauge working.
Thanks given by:
I was just wandering, cheaper gauges/probes might not be very sensitive, they aren't really designed with cooler running diesel engines in mind either i would guess.

have you tried putting a blowtorch to the probe to see if anything registers at extreme temperatures?
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Nope, but i've done my timed runs with it all connected up and nothing moved. Gauge starts at 200degrees but I guarantee it ran hotter than that
Thanks given by:
id say test the probe with a blowtorch, that way you will definitely know if it works
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
I bought one off ebay for £20, never had an issue reads upto 1200°c and reacts quickly.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(07-04-2013, 02:20 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: where have you got your probe?

giggity
Thanks given by:
Funny ive just bolted mine on to my manifold but it doesnt seem to work either.
It starts at 400degrees C, should a dturbo be at that temp or more by revving the car in neutral?
Havent had a chance to route the wiring in through the bulkhead so couldnt take the car for a run.
Brand new probe and a hks gauge.
Thanks given by:
(07-04-2013, 05:30 PM)anto Wrote: Funny ive just bolted mine on to my manifold but it doesnt seem to work either.
It starts at 400degrees C, should a dturbo be at that temp or more by revving the car in neutral?
Havent had a chance to route the wiring in through the bulkhead so couldnt take the car for a run.
Brand new probe and a hks gauge.

At idle mine will hover around 150, depending on how long its been sat. It will get to 400 up a hill driving normally.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
So even cruising it wouldnt register?
Thanks given by:
No cruising usually hovers around 250-300.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Most egts gauges wont move until you " load / boost up", think mine started at 400, altho cant quite remember, you need load / boost to get enough fuel burning to make that kinda temp, but once up on the blower, used to see 800-900, and if you let it smoke would max the 1200 no problems!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Ahhhh ok, i was expecting it to register when cruising. Think mine starts at 3/400 too. Will take another look tomorrow

In fact just looked at the gauge, starts at 200deg C apparently.. should I see be seeing anything driving off boost/around town?
Thanks given by:
Hm maybe, but they arnt like a tacho, dont respond instantly, so will take 1-3 seconds of temp to let the probe warm up and take a reading... thinner the probe faster the gauge reaction, but also the easier it is to melt and put thro the turbine...
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Yeah seen a few horror stories about them crumbling up under heat. But if the engine's keeping cold it's not even likely to hit the 200 round town. Will wire it in again tomorrow and go for a hoon. Water temp was rising quite quickly under full boost so it's definitely getting hot in there
Thanks given by:
Mine starts at 0, on a cold start it will quickly rise to around 50, then mid 100's through town.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
What gauge is yours sir?

I quite fancy some nice new ones but I cba spending £££ when the whole project has been a massive bodge all the way through
Thanks given by:
PLX devices DM-5 I think. Really good gauge. Expensive though, I think they are over £120
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Think my gauge is broke :-(
Doesnt register any temps even when flatout coaling up a hill!
Thanks given by:
(08-04-2013, 09:55 AM)anto Wrote: Think my gauge is broke :-(
Doesnt register any temps even when flatout coaling up a hill!

Flat out coaling up a hill..I would rather not know tbh! 1000+ degrees..
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
IISPRO FTW, altho my egt is a stack one as at the time of ordering all my iispro gauges from the states I had a working HKS egt gauge, so didnt get one, wish I did though as there epic gauges and look so oem win
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Do you still have the hks one darren?
Thanks given by:
I do, but it stopped working, hence buying the stack one, not sure what happened as it was fine when Ruan borrowed it, then put it back on my car, and seemed to be dead...could have been an issue elsewhere, but not sure...
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Have run both a stack one and an autometer

Sure cruising temps were around 3-400 ish
Thanks given by:
If your cruising under load (IE over 50mph) then yeah it would rest around that temp id say.... but what im saying is dont expect egt gauge to be moving when your revving it stationary!
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Tempted to take a gamble on:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXHAUST-GAS-TE...2a242ae255
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Same brand as mine, and same seller.

Wont know for definite if they're any good until I wire it in again and go for an extended run
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Boost gauges & various other gauges Stevo-trendy 4 1,131 01-08-2014, 02:54 PM
Last Post: Tom