Should I do it..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I do it..
So im falling out of love with the 306, its a fantastic car that's never let me down and always puts a smile on my face when driving but when compared with friends cars it always looks and feels so dated which then rubs that smile right back off my face and with the prospects of a decent job next year in which I'll be needing to drive to clients homes i'm feeling its time to move on.

So im looking at the fiesta tdci's (1.6 to be precise dv6 block so still psa) however they mostly are out my budget range except one I've found which is just over a grand but it apparently needing a new steering rack and tracking and suffers from EAC fault.
Question is should I sell up old reliable for this , any idea how much a steering rack is to be replaced and anyone know much about the EAC fault?
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
I don't think tracking is a major issue if its having a new rack lol...

I've no idea what the price of it is.

But what I will say is if you've found a reliable car (you say its never let you down!) don't get rid of it! My biggest mistake so far was getting rid if the silver golf, simply for practicality and spec, but I wish I hadn't, as i haven't had any car as reliable as that yet....ironically the highest miler I've ever owned too.
Thanks given by:
Personally, no. Especially if it's just because you're comparing it to your friends and what they "think" of it... I don't think there's many new cars that look as good as the 306 does, certainly not the fiesta. I also don't think it's there's anything wrong with turning up to a job in it...
Thanks given by:
End of the day it's about what you think if your happy with it and its as u say reliable why change till u need to personally I like the look of my 306 granted mines an estate but that's all for practicality reasons I'm on the 2nd highest wage where I work as a kitchen manager I have the oldest highest mileage car out of all the staff but I ain't paying £2-300 a mont for finance and same for insurance and my car has failed to start 1 time the 2 BMW's that 2 off the staff own have both suffered at least 1 coil pack failure each at £120 a time to fix and with a few choice mods and a bit off love and attention a 306 can hold its own in the car park and doesn't look as dated as some cars that are much younger. All this and a lot of newer cars all look so generic now not much to make them stand out from one another.
Dragoon Blue Estate in a bit of a State
Thanks given by:
I know what you mean by it looks old. I want a newer car but am i going to be better off. Ive had the car 3 year since its been on the road i cant fault it. Yes wear and tear but no sensors, mafs or dicky computers. Clutches in these what £200 max including clutch?. Newer cars not cheap to repair and as said the 306 stands out. Just have a good think and test drive a few cars.
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
All good points above, but they ignore the fact that Steve's a tart. :p

In seriousness though, i don't think your reasons are adequate dude. If a client's going to turn you down on the basis of the car you drive, they're probably going to be a pita to work for anyway, the car will be doing you a favour lol. Also, if you're going to be buying something else, set aside another 50% of the purchase price for immediate repairs - it's usually at least partially necessary and it's better to be prepared, than the other way around - spending everything on something only to find a fundamental problem which you now can't afford to fix.

Personally i'd stick to the 306 until you can afford to run something newer mate, reliability is essential when you start work. Much as i'd enjoy tinkering with a DV6. Wink
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
stay with the 306 mate, ford will only let you down
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
If I was going to get something similar to a 306 but newer it would be a fiesta Zetec S TDCi. My best mate has a superchipped one and I really like it. He got it chipped the week he got it and has done 40,000 miles since with very few issues.

Not a clue about the EAC fault but the front brakes are too small and warp discs really easily (a set in a year wouldnt be unusual) the seat pulls to flip 3 door seats forward snap and are a PITA to replace (and not particularly cheap either). I'm trying to think of other issues but really struggling. I can ask my mate if you want.
Thanks given by:
I work in an office and I have the oldest car by far but she's as reliable as any other, I have no worries and she's still great to drive.

Mine is only going if i have to have a company car as I have just been promoted.

Better the devil you know.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
im an electronic engineer, also have the oldest car in the company, feel no shame about parking next to the owners range rovers or aston.
plus driving a modified diesel is a good ice breaker for meeting new people, you roll up in the 306 and immediatly have people asking you about it Smile
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
I turned up to my new job in my 306 with no front grill, grinding aux belt tensioner and generally poor condition peeling laquer etc, think my R reg is among the older of the mass of cars in the work carpark and still i feel proud that i complain about less things with my car than the people i work with. IMO the 306 looks better than many new cars (not all) and with a little tweaking goes as well as them too, if yours is reliable as you say i deffo wouldnt get rid on the off chance that your friends and clients think its sh!t.
Thanks given by:
Honestly wouldnt sell, hdis look every bit as good as newer cars, and better devil you know, if its that reliable why invest more money into something that may not be and will only depreciate??

Also wouldnt be getting that 1.6 diesel engine, you think the hdi threads breaking down on here threads are bad???!!!
have a quick google off them, turbo failure leading to engine failure is far too common
Thanks given by:
(06-04-2013, 08:25 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: If I was going to get something similar to a 306 but newer it would be a fiesta Zetec S TDCi. My best mate has a superchipped one and I really like it. He got it chipped the week he got it and has done 40,000 miles since with very few issues.

Not a clue about the EAC fault but the front brakes are too small and warp discs really easily (a set in a year wouldnt be unusual) the seat pulls to flip 3 door seats forward snap and are a PITA to replace (and not particularly cheap either). I'm trying to think of other issues but really struggling. I can ask my mate if you want.

That's the model I'm looking at, chipped they're meant to get about 120hp so stage 1 territory. could you ask please if there is any other issues so I know when/if looking? I've heard stuff about the turbos being replaced every 2 seconds

The kind of clients I'll be meeting though are not the kind of people to be interested in the car on a enthusiast level, I've done two summer placements with an engineering firm and it's a very shirt and tie job with the clients being families, builders and entrepreneurs(one being a man who bought an old ww2 hangar and converted into a Waitrose milking station) non of whom are interested in a old French car

In terms of looks I switch between the two points, maybe because I know what a fun car it can be but when all my other friends are driving sensible cars (mondeo) or slammed dub cars so I get slated on both sides and it kind of leaves me hating it

Plus as a last point, I have no where more to go with this project the insurance skyrockets as soon as I mention intercooler due to my age and even if it didn't the costs and time to do stage 2 properly isn't ideal. I would love to have a 306 as a second car/track project though

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
(06-04-2013, 10:08 AM)lolsteve Wrote: The kind of clients I'll be meeting though are not the kind of people to be interested in the car on a enthusiast level, I've done two summer placements with an engineering firm and it's a very shirt and tie job with the clients being families, builders and entrepreneurs(one being a man who bought an old ww2 hangar and converted into a Waitrose milking station) non of whom are interested in a old French car

I completely agree with this, I dunno exactly what work Steve does but I can guarantee none of his clients will be driving 306s....

Rather than looking at your own car as something you're proud to own, you have to see it how others do. For example a boxy old car with imperfect paint work and an old style reg plate means 'shit' to most people straight away. Doesnt matter whether its a 306, a saxo or a mk2 golf....theyre all old and shit to these people (trust me I've heard it constantly!) A newer car which blends in, and has the newer reg plate is instantly more acceptable. And IMO its better NOT to stand out in that kind of situation.

I feel much less conspicuous taking the Vec or Golf anywhere than I did the HDi.
Thanks given by:
(05-04-2013, 10:49 PM)Curt Wrote: Personally, no. Especially if it's just because you're comparing it to your friends and what they "think" of it... I don't think there's many new cars that look as good as the 306 does, certainly not the fiesta. I also don't think it's there's anything wrong with turning up to a job in it...

Was only yesterday i was saying to curt about going to clients in my car, but mainly due to do with the exhaust noise.

If like me you will doing plenty of miles i chose to stay 306 rather than buying a leon to replace it mainly on running costs.

To replace tyres on 15inch wheels much cheaper than bigger wheels which i find most new cars have, the value of the car wont really depreciate as much as a newer car.

Also keeping service history isn't a worry, can do it myself in no time at all and for a fraction of a price than a garage. Just make sure the 306 is kept reliable by fixing any small problems before they become big, and replace worn parts with uprated better parts.

Definitely don't lower it as that just makes everything wear quicker. 30mm max
[Image: 306oc_zpsf2d249a4.jpg]
Thanks given by:
You've met my mates, you know how much grief I get for the 306 love. And f Toms agreeing with you about reasons to change car, you should probably reconsider. Wink

Sweeney get out of the dark ages, I suppose carbs are better than efi too right?!
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
But poodle at least you have a project with a goal, now the inter poker is off its kinda put a stop on any plans I had.

And ill be a civil nd structural engineer

Thanks given by:
The Fiesta is a good all rounder, but youll miss LO-OS and a few other 306 traits, the pug actually feels more solid than the ford some how. My mate averages 50mpg and hasn't done a turbo yet although he drives a bit more sensibly than me. Ill ask if hes had any other issues.

There is off the shelf hybrid turbos for them IIRC and it would defo go well with a bigger FMIC. Its defo stage 1 fast but such a shame ford wouldn't put the 2.0 HDi and 6 speed box in one (suppose they wouldnt of sold any of the ST then).

My work is split between people with new BMWs and audis and focusses and people with old cars and TBH i don't moan half as much about broken peugeots as some people do. because pug bits are so cheap i actually spend less on fixing it even if it does go wrong a little more often.
Thanks given by:
I thought you wanted to lower it and that? I get your point though, and tbh i stand by wehat i said about the fiesta - if you're going to do it that's a good way to go.

If you're that set on doing it, i'd at least wait 6 months or so - until you've got a decent income and a bit built up behind you. There's nothing worse than new car problems when you're also worrying about new job, moving out, and all the rest that comes with finishing uni.

The turbo is a very well known issue, if it's had turbo issues just walk away unless it's also got history to show the problem's been solved properly - all new parts and a complete engine rebuild.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
As a salesman visiting clients as far away as Truro I can't honestly say the 306 'image' has ever dawned on me as a problem. If I was doing long-distance journeys frequently then I might look for a more comfortable cruiser, but most of my trips are <30 miles.

If the sole reason you're thinking of buying a newer car is purely because of the possible impression it will make then I think it's a bad idea. It's not as if you're considering something substantially better, a shed-territory Fiesta is going to have its problems no matter how you dress it up.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by: