New car advice again... 407 coupe

Poll: BMW or Peugeot
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
320Cd M-sport
55.56%
10 55.56%
407 Coupe
44.44%
8 44.44%
Total 18 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New car advice again... 407 coupe
(28-03-2013, 05:14 PM)silverzx Wrote: Can't believe people are being so batty about tyres!

If you owned a BMW you'd just become chummy with your local scrap yard and blag tyres.

After all there going to be getting raped fortnightly!

Not if you dont drive like a lady garden all the time.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(28-03-2013, 05:16 PM)Niall Wrote:
(28-03-2013, 05:14 PM)silverzx Wrote: Can't believe people are being so batty about tyres!

If you owned a BMW you'd just become chummy with your local scrap yard and blag tyres.

After all there going to be getting raped fortnightly!

Not if you dont drive like a lady garden all the time.

You mean like a beast. Wink
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Niall you need to own a powerful rear wheel drive car before you talk about not destroying tyres. When you can slide in 4th its impossible not to be tempted into making corners fun.
Thanks given by:
Still makes you a complete cock for doing it on public road though doesnt it!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I killed a set of tyres in a 15min session of mallory. obviously what i was talking about.
Thanks given by:
See if it wasnt for the fact that when you owned your bmw, you bragged about destroying a set of tyres in public spaces, i would believe that.
But regardless, if you drive it sensibly (even hard but keeping traction), they will last just as long as any other car.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
To be perfectly honest the 2.0d is never going to be powerful enough to slide around every corner, and I certainly didn't buy it for that reason. Besides I do a lot of motorway miles and wouldn't wan't to be running 2nd hand part worns for this.

The car has exceptional handling at the edge of grip, it is a lot more predictable than the 306 ever was. Maybe my driving skills were not good enough for the 306, LOOS is scary on the fast country roads and its not something you want to mess up and end in a tree. The BMW on the other hand I think is predictable, I can feel the breakaway from the tyres which is usually from the rear, and just letting up brings it back on track, and before you get to this point you have the great toe in feeling of a bend as you squeeze the accelerator.

Maybe this is what I'd miss in the 407?

Also Niall your point about tyres last just as long isn't strictly true. Lets not get into physics about this but with a wider the tyre, the manufacturer has to make the compound softer due to the reduced weight to contact area. So will of course wear out quicker.
Thanks given by:
Oh and ive just remembered you said it may need a new clutch soon. I know you would be silly to go to a main dealers for parts but....

http://www.theywhoshallnotbenamed/forum/...h-flywheel
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(29-03-2013, 10:28 AM)Niall Wrote: Oh and ive just remembered you said it may need a new clutch soon. I know you would be silly to go to a main dealers for parts but....

http://www.theywhoshallnotbenamed/forum/...h-flywheel

Indeed, I've been following that thread. Didn't think I should mention 'the others' on here. I'd probably be able to persuade my Dad to do it with me, although access may be an issue with no pit or car lift. KrisB might not be a bad shout though, especially after hes done the 330d.
Thanks given by:
I drove both and preferred Beemer over 407 Coupe.
I also agree with @THE_Liam, I would rather take 406 V6 Coupe - yes, it has a slightly higher consumption, but in my opinion it's better looking and maintenance costs are significantly lower.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Should I get this car Audi coupe gt Jukie88 26 6,468 02-06-2013, 02:10 PM
Last Post: Toms306