New car advice again... 407 coupe

Poll: BMW or Peugeot
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
320Cd M-sport
55.56%
10 55.56%
407 Coupe
44.44%
8 44.44%
Total 18 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New car advice again... 407 coupe
Right, so I need some advice. Currently have this car: 320CD M Sport

[Image: P1010763_zps2244a9ac.jpg]

I've owned it a year now and done 16k in it, but, I have always been tempted by these:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/a...?logcode=p

[Image: media_zpsb6e9222a.jpeg]
[Image: media-1_zpsc786e0fd.jpeg]
[Image: media-2_zps33038ff3.jpeg]

407 Coupe 2.7 v6 HDi.

Pros
Unusual looks - don't see many about, unlike my current car
All bells and whistles - heated leather seats, satnav, bi-xenon lights, PDC, JBL sound system, Elec mem seats, auto folding mirrors, lights, wipers etc etc
Good value for money
Comfy

Cons
High depreciation
Huge running costs - tax £400, v6 diesel mpg, potential FAP / ELOYS fluid issues, potential electrical gremlins (french), auto box issues
Massive - nearly half a metre longer than 3 series coupe
Not as involving as my current car and FWD (but would be better in the snow)

I'm hopefully going to test drive one tomorrow...

So what does everyone suggest, am I completely mad to even think of changing? Would it be a 'downgrade'???

Luke
Thanks given by:
Dont worry about the ELOYS system. If it complains, you can turn it off in pug planet.
Personally i like them and they are very well spec'd. The build quality wont feel as good inside as the BMW however they are generally regarded as a very solid car. Not sure how well they go although i have always been interested by the twin turbo v6!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
TBH they are too big and the auto box will probably ruin its fun potential.

Personally id be sticking with the BMW
Thanks given by:
BMW = proven skids per £.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Out of the two I'd go BMW but for that kind of cash there's better cars out there
Thanks given by:
BMW is an epic car. I miss mine. Yours would be the exact one I'd go for if I could afford it.
Thanks given by:
As above, I miss my BMWs but they cost me too much in tyres so i cant let myself buy another.
Thanks given by:
407 V6 all day..

the BMW, errm.. just not a fan, my brother had a 330ci clubsport

[Image: 6729_226852480390_6109681_n.jpg]

couldn't fault it at all, first time in it/driving it, amazing! but god was it boring after a while..
completely lacked any character <-- for me is essential in a car.

I can only assume with the 407 - but with a v6 under 'dahood' who could complain.

I dont know, perhaps i like a challenge in a car, something which doesn't start every time, something that surprises people now and again
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Id get a vectra coup personally...
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(26-03-2013, 06:55 PM)Connor Wrote: Id get a vectra coup personally...

When was your 50th birthday?? Doh
Thanks given by:
(26-03-2013, 06:57 PM)ginge191 Wrote: When was your 50th birthday?? Doh

That's just Connor epically failing at being funny, as usual Ginge.. Itwasntme
Thanks given by:

In all fairness we should all own a vectra of some sort!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(26-03-2013, 06:58 PM)JJ0063 Wrote:
(26-03-2013, 06:57 PM)ginge191 Wrote: When was your 50th birthday?? Doh

That's just Connor epically failing at being funny, as usual Ginge.. Itwasntme

oh.

that was a joke...... i thought he was being serious. oh connor, you used to be fun
Thanks given by:
Well I missed all the fun last night, I just wanted to join in Sad
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(26-03-2013, 05:50 PM)silverzx Wrote: BMW = proven skids per £.
(26-03-2013, 06:36 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: As above, I miss my BMWs but they cost me too much in tyres so i cant let myself buy another.

Certainly proven... £220 per rear tyre, looking to last around 7k with current driving style! Sad

(26-03-2013, 06:44 PM)ginge191 Wrote: 407 V6 all day..

but god was it boring after a while..
completely lacked any character <-- for me is essential in a car.

I can only assume with the 407 - but with a v6 under 'dahood' who could complain.

But the 407 will have less character than the beemer. Its going to be a big lazy gt with not huge amounts of feedback. I'd say my current car maybe lacks character in terms of squeaks and rattles, but for driving pleasure it is just so well set up! Find me a bad review for an e46, in particular any sport spec version!

Ahh was expecting more people to vote for the pug tbh!
Thanks given by:
(26-03-2013, 07:28 PM)fuziduck Wrote: Scrap above post, I'll just get a Vectra. Which one should I get though???

Dont ask me mate. Im not allowed an opinion!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(26-03-2013, 07:01 PM)Niall Wrote:

In all fairness we should all own a vectra of some sort!

Scrap above post, I'll just get a Vectra. Which one should I get though???
Thanks given by:
Personally, I want a 320d after the 306 is run into the ground, although hopefully I will be in a position to buy an e90, you never know.

The 407 coupe is a really nice looking car IMO. My old boss bought a 407 estate a while ago and sadly it was a very problematic car, the auto box did go wrong. That was a 2.0 though, so you're looking at cars with a different gearbox..

If it suits 'you' then go for it. Way more appealing in a strange way than the common-as-muck 3 series.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
I think you'll struggle to get a Vectra coupe tbh....think you're confusing Astra's. Tongue

But on topic, I'd keep the beemer in your position Luke! Smile
Thanks given by:
It's not a 306, QED it's going to be shit.

Vectras are shit.

In seriousness, i'd stick with the beemer. But that's because i value an exciting drive and couldn't give a shit about toys because i'll invariably ruin them when i start a weight-saving program. lol
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Ahh was hoping for more votes for the pug on a pug forum!

C.A.R. I know you've said in the past about the problems these have, and it is a major thing that puts me off tbh, there are so few about meaning knowledge is sparse, but then its mostly a mismatch from other cars so shouldn't be impossible to diagnose!

Does it change things if I say my beemer might need a new clutch which will probably involve changing the DMF - parts to the tune of £500 Sad
Thanks given by:
(26-03-2013, 07:51 PM)fuziduck Wrote: Ahh was hoping for more votes for the pug on a pug forum!

C.A.R. I know you've said in the past about the problems these have, and it is a major thing that puts me off tbh, there are so few about meaning knowledge is sparse, but then its mostly a mismatch from other cars so shouldn't be impossible to diagnose!

Does it change things if I say my beemer might need a new clutch which will probably involve changing the DMF - parts to the tune of £500 Sad

Maybe try a 407 forum then. Tongue

Oh and if the DMF goes, just break it for parts.

/selftroll lol
Thanks given by:
(26-03-2013, 07:51 PM)fuziduck Wrote: Ahh was hoping for more votes for the pug on a pug forum!

Dont forget though any car with more toys will have more choice of going wrong. Problem is you pay BMW tax on their parts. Pug parts are fairly cheap but the other thing is, BMWs (of that age anyway. would never own a brand new one!) are more reliable. Swings and roundabouts.
It depends on what you want. If you want something comfy with lots of toys, get the 407. If you want something that handles better (but in that comes more cost in tyres) and is a bit more fun, keep the beemer.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
stay with the beemer
[Image: fe6eddc8-1731-4100-a5fe-1edb853a88b6_zpseeacf928.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Depends what parts you want Niall, equivalent parts for servicing ect really don't cost much more for most newer cars, oil, filters, brakes etc are roughly the same (I say equivalent becuase the beemer obviously won't have 247mm discs like an XUD lol). And if you get a common car like a Golf, mondeo or vectra etc theres loads around for second hand parts or panels. I was amazed how much you have to pay for 306 panels compred to Golf ones as they're getting rare in good condition now! The things that cost more are the modern tech parts, VNT turbos, injectors, DMFs, DPFs etc which you'ds expect, and they'll be on both the beemer and the 407 afaik. It's one of the things I really looked into before buying my new purchase, and turned out servicing won't cost any extra, you just have to hope that the bigger parts don't break lol.

Also, I dunno where you're getting a DMF done for £500, add another grand to that lol....
Thanks given by:
Service parts generally are all the same sort of price (with the exception of brakes) but as cars progress, the technology becomes more expensive.
Dont want a expensive car, buy a F reg fiesta. If it doesnt rust away over night, anything that goes wrong can be fixed with bluetack, string a PVA!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
But on the flipside, you will be forever buying blutack and PVA as it'll break down more than the more modern car.............

Why can't anything just come without compromise. Sad
Thanks given by:
It can. Walking!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Thats a huge compromise, you wear out your legs more, get more tired so you're less effecient doing whatever it is you were driving to do, then you have to refuel more often, raising your food bill. lol
Thanks given by:
(26-03-2013, 07:28 PM)fuziduck Wrote:
(26-03-2013, 05:50 PM)silverzx Wrote: BMW = proven skids per £.
(26-03-2013, 06:36 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: As above, I miss my BMWs but they cost me too much in tyres so i cant let myself buy another.

Certainly proven... £220 per rear tyre, looking to last around 7k with current driving style! Sad

f*ck me thats ages, 306 front tyres don't even last that long.

I was getting a couple hundred miles on average out of a set of rears on the beemers
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Should I get this car Audi coupe gt Jukie88 26 6,469 02-06-2013, 02:10 PM
Last Post: Toms306