hdi strut brace issues!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hdi strut brace issues!!
    Had my car lowered 40mm for the past week now on blistein b4's and spax springs(handles amazingingly!) and decided to fit an omp strut brace today, fits perfectly (only had to bend the ecu bracket and bonnet raise as ive got a ph1 front end) and ever since i fitted the strut brace today ive had a dodgey knock/click from the left hand side, checked everythings tight but got told i may have a top mount gone, how do i check this?
Thanks given by:
Firstly, when does it do it. When you accelerate, brake, turn, what?

Put a jack under the engine and them remove the LHS engine mount, the chassis cup fatigues beneath them. Remove that bar over the top, take the 17mm nut off, remove the chock, then remove the bar mount itself, then rotate the engine mount using a hammer/screwdriver. Is there a hole, cracks etc.

It's rare on a HDi but very common on a GTi6.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Only when turning hard left or right oddly
Thanks given by:
Does it tend to do it when you're parking up or pulling away and on full (or almost) lock?

If so I'd put money on it being the top mount bearing......did you fit new ones when you lowered it or just use the original set?
Thanks given by:
I had issues when fitted mine in the past was due to bolts in top mount. Sort of clunk sound when turning
Thanks given by:
Where did you get the bolts from? If they aren't the right ones it makes some horrible noises
Thanks given by:
yup as said check your bolt lengths i had to cut some off my extended bolts as it was making a spring noise on full locks
Thanks given by:
you need swampys extended bolts. or just some decent ones from B&Q
Thanks given by:
looks like he has replaced the T/M bolts

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
The bolts are high tensile ones i had but there like an inch and a half long :-\
Thanks given by:
the bolts you used could well be too long then mate
Thanks given by:
More than likley, never considered the bolts could conflict the spring
Thanks given by:
this ^^^ my bet is the spring top cup is hitting the bottom of the bolt when turning on tue bearing

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Cheers mate
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vibration issues after strut brace installation S16 14 2,601 16-12-2014, 02:11 PM
Last Post: S16
  OMP strut brace adjustment nuts lolsteve 6 1,378 05-11-2014, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Eeyore
  Strut Brace Help C.A.R. 8 2,286 30-03-2014, 08:32 PM
Last Post: Piggy