Head unit radio reception (Phase 3)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Head unit radio reception (Phase 3)
Hi,

I just wondered what fixes people have done to get over the poor radio reception when changing to an after market head unit?

I know the standard head unit sends a 7v supply to the aerial which has a built in signal amplifier. Does anyone know if the booster is in the base or the aerial itself?

I tried one of these http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/con-ct27...aptor.html but bunt out the booster as at the time I didn't know it was 7v from the standard unit and not 12v like the VAG stuff.

At the moment I'm using the longer aerial of a phase 1 but I'd like to go back to the better looking shorter aerial.

Anyone good with electronics? I need to make a little 12v to 7v regulator as I can't find anything simple that does the job straight out the box.
Thanks given by:
I got the same problem on mine, thought it was just me. What's all this about voltages and boosters? I thought it was just an aerial lol. Apart from the booster that burnt out have you tried anything else?
Thanks given by:
Well because the aerial is shorter on the phase 3 it needs a signal booster/amp to get good reception. This signal booster/amp is in ether the aerial or the base it screws in to. The signal booster/amp uses a 7v supply from the standard head unit to work, without the 7v the reception isn't going to be that good. When you put an after market head unit in the booster/amp looses its 7v as the after market unit doesn't supply any power through its aerial output.

I found out it's 7v buy measuring my old cd player that came in the car.

The fix I have in place at the moment is the longer aerial off a phase one because its longer and doesn't use a booster/amp it works fine but just looks ugly.

Oh, 12v to the booster worked ok for a few days, so when I installed it I got loads of stations but then a couple of days later it must of burnt out as I lost half the stations.
Thanks given by:
my radio reception is shocking. I could only get classic fm driving down the m3!
Thanks given by:
A good trick to find out if your car needs power to the booster is to have the radio on a poor received station then touch the aerial, if the station comes in clearer the booster isn't working. Basically when you touch the aerial your body becomes part of the aerial.
Thanks given by:
(21-03-2013, 07:18 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: Hi,

Anyone good with electronics? I need to make a little 12v to 7v regulator as I can't find anything simple that does the job straight out the box.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-BA07T-7V-1...257b2be3a5
Thanks given by:
(21-03-2013, 10:09 PM)cully Wrote: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-BA07T-7V-1...257b2be3a5

Awesome stuff! I looked on ebay the other day and couldn't find anything lol

I'll give these ago and report back.

Haha googled BA07T and got boobs https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=BA07T&...80&bih=675
Thanks given by:
Would an aftermarket aerial be 12v as standard, kinda what I mean is 12v the norm'. I was thinking of replacing the aerial and am thinking that as its not the odd 7v value pug use would a standard 12v inline aerial booster do the job?
Thanks given by:
So I made this
[Image: IMG_20130505_153932_zps25ee82e1.jpg]

and put my short aerial back on to find it now picks up stations the same as the longer one I put on before.
Thanks given by:
ive never had a problem with mine!
Thanks given by:
My radio reception is dire since changing my stereo what can I do to improve it I need a step by step simpletons guide lol
Dragoon Blue Estate in a bit of a State
Thanks given by:
yeh make a guide!
Thanks given by:
(05-05-2013, 07:13 PM)Just Sean Wrote: ive never had a problem with mine!

Yeah I never really had a problem when I lived in Wolves but since moving down here I've noticed it's worse as the transmitters are further away.

(06-05-2013, 05:24 AM)Willo Wrote: My radio reception is dire since changing my stereo what can I do to improve it I need a step by step simpletons guide lol

I'll do a guide but basically you just need to get http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...0996419819 and http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140915680391?s...1439.l2649.

Unfortunately the guy selling the regulator on ebay has sold out, I did a quick search and not found anywhere yet that sells them. I'll have another look later for you.

It might be worth checking the connector thats screwed to the bottom of the aerial as I found mine had corroded and had fallen apart before.
Thanks given by:
Is this the same on phase 1s? It could be the reason my radio has crappy reception unless the I hold the plug right in.
Thanks given by:
whistle

search for LM317 on ebay you will find some ready built variable regulators for 3-4£

Thanks given by:
This looks good http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adjustable-Vol...51a539bda8

Cully those BA07T were a good shout, shame that guy sold out, thanks for pointing them my way.
Thanks given by:
IS ANYONE GONNA ANSWER MY QUESTION.
Thanks given by:
maybe people don't know!

no need to shout!
Thanks given by:
(06-05-2013, 01:51 PM)306Puggy Wrote: Is this the same on phase 1s? It could be the reason my radio has crappy reception unless the I hold the plug right in.

if you have to hold it right in them that sounds more like a connection problem! This is an amplifier problem so the fact yours works fine when its held in suggests it works fine when there is a good connection as opposed to the problem these guys are having when the connection is good but the reception is poor!
Thanks given by:
i have this problem too, any help would be greatly appreciated. Which way did everybody choose to go?
Sean
Thanks given by:
I believe the info above should help you solve the problem.
Thanks given by:
Easiest way is get a phase 1 aerial, the longer type.
Thanks given by:
I've not had an issue with mine but it could depend on actual aftermarket hu
Don't worry about what I'm doing, I want you to worry about what you're doing
Thanks given by:
May have to do this...my ph3 had the long aerial...and it broke...so went for the more flexi type shorter one...

now can only get one or two radio stations!!!

Good info here!

A little guide thread would be good though Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I've noticed really bad reception from my stereo after changing the HU so may have to try this as well.
Thanks given by:
What hu brand are people running? My alpine does not have this issue
Thanks given by:
My alpine does or did. I think it's more to do with your location and distance from transmitters.

When I lived in Wolverhampton I didn't notice it but since moving down to Dunstable and travelling to work in Watford it was really bad.

The phase 1 aerial helped but looked crap. So I investigated and found the 7v out put from the standard headunit.

Kwik try finding searching for stations while I friend holds the aerial I bet you'll find more stations when they hold it then normall.
Thanks given by:
The thing is my car loom plugs into my steering remote adaptor and then into stereo loom and even then the aerial socket itself sends voltage like sky rf 6v iirc so that should power any inline booster

The other issue may be I only listen to radio when others are in the car other then that is my iPhone a2dp lol
Thanks given by:
Do you have a link to the adapter your using?
Thanks given by:
The autoleads px-99 and change the stalk from a phase 3 to a phase 1 or 2 one Wink
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Radio/Arial + radio stalk PocketFighter 15 3,850 05-08-2016, 08:16 PM
Last Post: PocketFighter
  Radio reception tuttyboy84 20 3,153 17-03-2016, 12:58 PM
Last Post: tuttyboy84
  amber head unit steg 3 1,286 24-10-2014, 03:51 PM
Last Post: Eeyore