Changing phase 2 radiator to phase 1

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing phase 2 radiator to phase 1
I'm planning on doing this in a week or so, just wondering if anyone could see any problem with doing it..

The phase one only has 1 pipe going from the radiator to the 'water distributor' on the back of the block, whereas the phase two has 2 pipes.

Would it have a detrimental effect on the cooling system if I were to remove this pipe?
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
If you are removing the expansion tank you really need to change most of the pipes so it works the same as it would on a ph1
Thanks given by:
I wasn't aware that many were different? I thought there was only two differences, one being the thin pipe that goes from radiator to thermostat housing (with the bleed point in it), and the other being the pipe which the phase 2 has and phase 1 doesn't..
Thanks given by:
When i did this to mine i needed to change a few pipes, just find a ph1 that is breaking and use the pipes from it that are different to yours

Think the only ones that did not need changed on mine are the matrix pipes and the main rad pipe from the thermostat
Thanks given by:
whats the benefit?!

Im thinking of going ph1 to ph2/3 as I need the space made....so why go from ph2/3 to ph1?!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Iv got a brand new valeo ph1 rad for sale Wink
[Image: edit2_zpsbe60b3ca.jpg]

Team derv FLAME and CONROD spitters
Thanks given by:
its a right pita to do this. found these issues when fittin a ph2 lump to a ph1. i ended up jamming a ph2 rad in there to make life easier

this also ment i could drop the FMIC pipe work down either side so worked out nice in the end

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
(21-03-2013, 06:41 AM)Piggy Wrote: whats the benefit?!

Im thinking of going ph1 to ph2/3 as I need the space made....so why go from ph2/3 to ph1?!

Ph1 looks cleaner, and opens up space where the ph2 expansion tank is. Just depends where you want the space, and where you want the tank.
Thanks given by:
I did it because i found an uprated gti6 rad on ebay, and it was easier to fit with the ph1 setup

Its actually easy to convert it, nothing more than swapping some pipes over
Thanks given by:
Yeah I can't imagine it being difficult. Still can't think why you'd need to change/remove more than two pipe though. I can only think of three that are attached to a ph1 rad.
Thanks given by:
The lower main one uses a different connection.

the one that comes from behind the block to the expansion tank can either be blocked off, reduced down or connected to the bottom of the radiator depending on what Ph1 setup you are using

And the bleed one from the block/fuel heater can go to a few different places like the other one

They did not make just one setup for the Ph1 Xud, the radiator you have will determine the pipes you need to change
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Changing Radiator Fans - Nightmare! OliRose1994 7 1,463 07-08-2016, 09:38 AM
Last Post: P-Courty
  Lucas to Bosch Conversion Phase 2 306 DTurbo FrostyHDI 2 1,696 01-12-2015, 02:43 PM
Last Post: Dave
  phase 1 radiator system disaster daniel909 5 1,272 13-09-2014, 08:54 AM
Last Post: londondan86