What to do with the HDi??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to do with the HDi??
My point probably isnt valid as im new and you probably dont care what i think.

But......

I bought a Citroen Xsara HDI lx for £400 with a years MOT, 8 tax, full history, 146k.

Bought it just to use as my buisness runaround (im a mobile mechanic).

hasnt let me down once and they are dirt cheap on ebay as people dont think about them, same engine as your 306 tom so you wont be in unfarmiliar territory.
Theyre comfy (not like a 306), they handle ok and theyre good on fuel.
Thanks given by:
£200 quid in your pocket plus what you get for scrap, plus the engine can be rebuilt too.
Thanks given by:
(04-03-2013, 08:18 PM)pug_dturb Wrote: My point probably isnt valid as im new and you probably dont care what i think.

But......

I bought a Citroen Xsara HDI lx for £400 with a years MOT, 8 tax, full history, 146k.

Bought it just to use as my buisness runaround (im a mobile mechanic).

hasnt let me down once and they are dirt cheap on ebay as people dont think about them, same engine as your 306 tom so you wont be in unfarmiliar territory.
Theyre comfy (not like a 306), they handle ok and theyre good on fuel.

That is more valid than some of the previous posts tbh! In all honesty though, I used to moan about HDi's a lot when i had petrols - people told me that I'd soon change my mind when i bought one as HDi's were economical and bulletproof - my own experience of two of them has shown that not to be the case so I won't be going for another HDi. I only go for each engine choice twice lol (so no PD130 Golf either lol).

(04-03-2013, 08:19 PM)procta Wrote: £200 quid in your pocket plus what you get for scrap, plus the engine can be rebuilt too.

But I'm already over a grand out of pocket due to the HDi.....adding £200 to that makes it still £800 out of pocket. Sad
Thanks given by:
At the end of the day tom its up to you what you drive. Every peugeot/ citroen ive owned have been good. Obviously not every car is mechanicaly or bodywork sound, the world of motoring doesnt work like that unfortunately, if it did there would be no need for forums like this.
IMO i think you should try something new all together, just not a peugeot or a golf as youve had bad experiences with them.
i also own a subaru forrester, great car for chucking the kids in and going up some hills, but shit on fuel.
Spend your money on something you want mate
Thanks given by:
Tom I don't get it.

You like cars?
You know 'stuff' about cars?
You went to college and did a course on how to fix cars?
You have copious amounts of knowledge about the car you drive at your finger tips
You could fix your car up for tuppence!

Yet you're moaning like a little bitch about it. If your car is as bad as you make out (which I seriously doubt) then why the f*cking f*ck did you buy it in the first place?

266mm brakes are more than adequate, if they're not then you're not anticipating the road correctly or simply driving too quickly. I suspect that shit tyres are contributing more to what you think is poor braking. An exhaust welder will sort you out a bodge for a small bung and suddenly the car is roadworthy again.

Seriously, I really don't get it.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
You have no luck with cars at all do you? My HDI van has had 40k of constant abuse off me whilst only getting serviced once yet still trams on happily (abiet in a leaky manner)

Just buy a K11 Micra or something, theyre one of the most bombproof and cheap cars about IMO
Team hand-painted-commercial Vehicle
Thanks given by:
(04-03-2013, 08:51 PM)Pete Wrote: You have no luck with cars at all do you? My HDI van has had 40k of constant abuse off me whilst only getting serviced once yet still trams on happily (abiet in a leaky manner)

Just buy a K11 Micra or something, theyre one of the most bombproof and cheap cars about IMO

Not enough leather seats, climate control, traction control, cruise control, etc. Rolleyes
Thanks given by:
+1 K11 micra
Thanks given by:
Sounds like a good idea, but it'll be "too slow and not safe enough and a girls car and understeers and has no ABS and looks shit and has no climate control, aircon, leather and doesn't do 100000 MPG and isn't fast enough and its too small and there's no towbar and and and..."
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
got insurance?
go drive it into a wall and write it off and claim Big Grin

i wouldn't do this though or advise it !.........
Thanks given by:
(04-03-2013, 08:42 PM)C.A.R. Wrote: Tom I don't get it.

You like cars? Well, not really.
You know 'stuff' about cars?Again, not really. I know the basic theory, but in practice it's different
You went to college and did a course on how to fix cars?Yes, but its a basic course, not how to fix every single possible problem.
You have copious amounts of knowledge about the car you drive at your finger tips
You could fix your car up for tuppence!No, I don't agree with this one at all. Infact, it'd be over £200 just to pass the MOT. Most of the stuff I can't do (bearings, welding etc) plus I've lost the use of solid ground now and just have the sloping driveway which is still still waterlogged atm, really not ideal for working on cars, even less so or plaing axle stands. Then as said, the clutch needs doing badly, the turbo sounds/feels awful and the engine in general has got some major sensor/management issues.

Yet you're moaning like a little bitch about it. If your car is as bad as you make out (which I seriously doubt) then why the f*cking f*ck did you buy it in the first place?Because it was local, and it meant insurance premium didn't change when I gave Sams on back. I was always only keeping it till the end of the insurance (this month) however I expected it still to be in a roadworthy condition for me to sell on at the end of that time.

266mm brakes are more than adequate, if they're not then you're not anticipating the road correctly or simply driving too quickly. I suspect that shit tyres are contributing more to what you think is poor braking. An exhaust welder will sort you out a bodge for a small bung and suddenly the car is roadworthy again. The brakes are far too small for the size and power of the vehicle, maybe it's becuase I'm used to the Golf brakes (288s) which gave excelent stopping power, even on the 2mm goodyears. I never understand why lower powered cars are given smaller brakes anyway (well ok I know its money saving) but really 70mph is still the same speed whether you're in a 106 or a range rover.... With the exhaust, I tried to get it welded....but completely forgot it would have to be removed to weld it (or you can only weld the bottom half) so with the turbo nuts in such a state that wasn't really an option either. Not without a lot of labour costs anyway.

Seriously, I really don't get it.No, clearly you don't, but I'm not asking you or anyone else to 'get it'. The decision has been made, the question clearly stated that I just wanted to know the most cost efficient solution to rid the HDi.

(04-03-2013, 09:06 PM)cully Wrote: got insurance?
go drive it into a wall and write it off and claim Big Grin

i wouldn't do this though or advise it !.........

Lol, that would just raise my insurance next year anyway. Tongue

(04-03-2013, 08:40 PM)pug_dturb Wrote: IMO i think you should try something new all together, just not a peugeot or a golf as youve had bad experiences with them.

This is my idea too mate....its just choosing something different that I'm gonna struggle with lol. I don't really 'like' anything. :/
Thanks given by:
Tom,
Go with your original plan.
Scrap the 306
Buy a car you want
Drive it and enjoy it

Job done pal
Thanks given by:
(04-03-2013, 09:56 PM)pug_dturb Wrote: Tom,
Go with your original plan.
Scrap the 306
Buy a car you want
Drive it and enjoy it

Job done pal

But do I take off the mods first and return to standard....or do I strip literally anything that isn't absolutely necessary?

There isn't any car I want lol. Just looking for something cheap to run and reliable really, but also needs 5 doors, and preferably a respectable 0-60 (atleast 100bhp/tonne I reckon). Space is useful, but if I have to go without then I guess that'll be a compromise...but I dont really want to have to compromise speed, space and luxury just for cheaper tax and a few more mpg lol. Tbh I havent started looking properly yet, next weeks job. Smile
Thanks given by:
Take off anything worth keeping and scrap it mate, I wouldn't go mad, but like mods, motors, things that fetch money
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
(04-03-2013, 10:05 PM)sammykins Wrote: Take off anything worth keeping and scrap it mate, I wouldn't go mad, but like mods, motors, things that fetch money

Right, I'll do that I think. Put the standad struts and swallows back on, put the shitty brakes back on while I'm there (the others have only covered 4k). Take out interior bits and switches and stuff if its not all broken.

Anyone local got a povvo drivers seat so I can take the half leathers out? Smile Or some frosty lights to replace the crystals?
Thanks given by:
Tbf mate,

Take as much off as you can, well anything thats worth something (clones) shit like that.
Scrap value is absolute shit at the moment, i took a MK2 clio the other day, £75. I also took a fita bravo 1.8HLX (yes i know) £125.
12 months ago id have got at least £120 on the clio and £200 on the fiat.
In all honesty if you want something fun to drive, not bad on fuel, plenty of room, I'd buy a subaru impreza estate or a legacy saloon.
They arent stupid money, yea their petrol and you get the ASBO image (Only if you listen to stupidly loud DJ RANKIN music and wear a Nike TN Air baseball cap like a burke) but they are solid mechanically.
Like i said earlier ive got a cheap forrester i take greenlaning from time to time and its mint never needed anything.
Thanks given by:
If you're scrapping it, just take the lights out lol

Thanks given by:
But I'll have to drive it to the scrap yard. I live so far away they dont pay unless you take it there! Dodgy
Thanks given by:
So take them off while its there?

Thanks given by:
out of interest how you getting home after you take the car to the yard? Tongue
Thanks given by:
Have to try and get a lift off someone....not sure who yet though lol. Suppose that's an option sammass yeah.
Thanks given by:
Just scrap it and keep what you can to sell
At the end of the day you bought a shed.

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
Ring local people up that salvage/scrap cars. My mates just gave me £150 for dturbo without bonnet/boot and few other bits. He strips engine keeps parts in piles different metals. Then weighs each in as bulks including bolts and nuts. Hell make about £2-300 profit with just stripping it. Usually my dad buys stuff from him and eBay it.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Scrap it ill give you £25 and a bag of skittles
Dragoon Blue Estate in a bit of a State
Thanks given by:
Sell it and f*ck off

/thread
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Break it for parts/weigh it in and get a scooter - much less to go wrong, lower running costs and you still have your independence and transport to get around.
Thanks given by:
(04-03-2013, 07:13 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Maybe I will. Atleast over there they can actually answer the question asked, rather than going off on tangents and adding nothing useful to the thread at all.

Wait, the pot said what to the kettle?! So yeah, is this thread about mpg or the golf now, i can't be arsed to read through all your tangential crap to find out. :p

Dude, i gave you a perfectly valid suggestion and it went ignored, so tell me - what's the point of adding useful posts to your thread when it's much more fun to troll and get ignored anyway..?

Jus' sayin'.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Poodle I ignored your post as you said scrap it, which fitted into 3 of the categories.

As for the 'local' scrap metal merchant, nothing is local here. But is there a difference anyway? The closest scrap yards are listed as scrap metal merchants anyway.

And with the golf/mpg thing, I'm not sure if people here just read what they want to read, as for a few months I've made a point of NOT filling the forum with either of those. Ofcourse if people provoke me I'm not just gonna let it go, but see how many times I mention the golf first, its not often at all now.
Thanks given by:
Please dont take this the wrong way tom because your a nice lad i like you and have nothing agenst you but.....

This thread is much like other threads you post about cars in the way that its totaly pointless. No matter what anyome says you have to fight it, its wrong, not true your personal opinion is different etc which is fine your choice. But why adk for advise when your just going to fight . You want a car that. Does 150mpg, dosnt break down, doesnt wear parts out, cost 1p a year to insure, has every toy that works perfect and never breaks and works exactly how you want it to. And you want it all for sub £1000. Its just never going to happen. You could spend £30,000 on a brand new car and its still going to have some of the issues that rattle you. Im afraid you have to learn that all is not perfect and you have to make compramises. And learn to love the car. Im mean look at 99% of this forum we all own 10-18 year old pugs that all have a felair few issues time to time but we love the cars so just get on with it. Because if we owned somthing eles it would only be the same with a different a set of issues.

So you just gotta suck it up and accept there us a hand full off common problems with every car. And IMO better the devil you know i.e golf/306 you know cheapest easiest way to go about it. Buy somthing different and you back to square 1 where its costing £££££ to find the issue and fix it because you dont know the cars.

And as for being out of poket i will happen with every car you ever own. It will always happen. My DT prob left me £2500 out of poket over the 2years and its worth what £400-450? But in reality its kept me motoring and only cost £100 here and there. And some of that money spent making it drive like i want it too because you cant buy a car off the shelf that drives like i want it too.

Anyway thats enough of a rant just IMO

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
thats exactly the same place my cat snapped Smile i just got new one for 32 quid brand new ..... still got the old one trying to scrap it in but never got time lol n dont no were to take it
Thanks given by: