What to do with the HDi??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to do with the HDi??
Ok,

So fixing really isnt an option, more bits are falling off or breaking literally every day...bloody door handle fell off today FFS! Rolleyes

Current MOT fails are -

~Rusty hole NSR, visible from wheel arch so a fail - would need welding
~Snapped cat pipe - can't be coupled due to the location of the snap - could be welded or replaced with decat, but the bolts are just lumps of rust so would need fitting kit/hacksaws etc
~Front tyres on limit, one rear puntured - could be changed for swallows tbf
~Both front wheel bearing knackered - needs new bearings obv, but I dont have a hub nut socket or bearing press
~Handbrake doesn't hold despite new cables - think one caliper is knackered
~Rear seatbelt doesn't retract on NS - I think this is MOT fail, needs replacement anyway
~Intermittent number plate light - broken loom, needs fixing.
~Beam creak - f*ck knows what this is, but clearly something not right and probably a fail!

Aside from the MOT fails -

~Clutch slips badly - needs clutch kit and cable
~Door handle fell off (PITA!) - time and effort
~Engine side of things is completely f*cked, turbo is shot, gearbox is extremely crunchy, engine hunts and jumps and is just horrible tbh - err, yeah, not worth the hassle
~Heater blower intermittent - wiring fault
~Door loom fixed by me, wont last long!

So as you can see, its basically f*cked!! Plus the fact it'll need the MOT fee of £50, and tax at £220, plus insurance at £600 odd, I can't keep it even if I wanted to.

But now I need to try and work out the best way of retrieving as much money as possible from it! Bear in mind I'm not sure what I'll be replacing it with...if I replace it (might see if I can get by without a car, although have been strongly warned by several family members that it isn't possible down here, no matter how much I try and convince myself that i dont need a car lol).

The options I see them are -

1. Return to standard (couple of days work), then drive round dealers looking for something to PX it with, probably only get £200 from that - plus the sales of the non standard parts.

2. Sell whole, as is, spares/repair. Easier to do, but think I'd be lucky to get £300 like that, so probs more money from the above.

3. Return to standard and sell spares and repair - don't think anyone would even buy it like that tbh, lot of time wasted possibly.

4. Break it for parts - lots of time and space needed - but is there even anything worth selling from it?

5. De-spec it and scrap the rest. Basically, buy a cheap drivers seat, steels, povvo steering wheel and remove anything I can sell but leaving it legal to drive - then drive it to scrap yard and scrap - but this would go by weight and I'm not sure if I'd gain anything from removing parts or if it'd just be a waste?

So what would you do to get the most money?

And just some pics of how rubbish old Peugeots are. Tongue

[Image: 306HoleyRearArch038.jpg]

[Image: ExhaustandDresser012_zps664c5b83.jpg]

[Image: NansHouseTheLastDay129_zpse5a49a01.jpg]

Tom
Thanks given by:
lock thread/ . . . . . lol
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
loads of 306s in spalls. incuding a hdi. That will get you your cat, handles, rear light loom, seat belt, blower motor for all under £20!

Ive got spare wheels and so have you. Just needs to be welded up and then youre good to pass! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Would you get a part ex? Wont they want to make SOME money from it?

That looks like a scrap job to me....

Take any valuable bits off it first OFC
Thanks given by:
(04-03-2013, 05:49 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: lock thread/ . . . . . lol

It's a sensible question! Dodgy

(04-03-2013, 05:50 PM)SRowell Wrote: loads of 306s in spalls. incuding a hdi. That will get you your cat, handles, rear light loom, seat belt, blower motor for all under £20!

Ive got spare wheels and so have you. Just needs to be welded up and then youre good to pass! Big Grin

Even spalls aren't that stupid, a cat is worth £40+ in scrap lol, theyre not gonna sell it for less. The blower motor works, its all the wiring behind the dash that has been cut/pinched/f*cked by a bad heater matrix change, infact its wiring everywhere, tailgate and door looms are f*cked too. Plus I've got no space or time or motivation to fix it.

And I'm not sure if you read the above, even if the MOT passed, it would still needs hundreds of pounds of work doing to it which its just not worth. Especially as more stuff breaks each day....part of the centre console fell off yesterday, it's genuinely like when TG drove that multipla down the wrong sliproad! Rolleyes

(04-03-2013, 05:51 PM)cpikey316_ Wrote: Would you get a part ex? Wont they want to make SOME money from it?

That looks like a scrap job to me....

Take any valuable bits off it first OFC

Yeah most places will part ex at scrap value (isn't it about £180 atm?).

However, that £180 is for a full car, I'm thinking that because the car is pretty light (lets face it, its more rust than metal now) that if I removed the good bits then scrapped it, the scrap value would be barely anything. Confused
Thanks given by:
Just scrap it and buy a moped Wink
Thanks given by:
Moped is still too much to run tbh, and doesn't have enough wheels for someone with no balance. But then even if I took the bus, it'd cost me well over £200 a month so i cant afford that either. Can't afford to live tbh, but unfortunately I'm stuck with that. Dodgy

But I can cross that bridge after I've decided the HDi's fate.
Thanks given by:

well said Mr Cheese Wink

All I'm going to say is what the hell are you doing driving it around with two tyres right on the limit?! The two most important parts on a car.......tyres and brakes!
Thanks given by:
[Image: 64DK0FHk_zps7dc40526.png]
[Image: A1A3B2B1-9269-463A-9F21-2ABF4CE9BEAC-165...A3B3F7.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(04-03-2013, 06:54 PM)gareth7 Wrote:

well said Mr Cheese Wink

All I'm going to say is what the hell are you doing driving it around with two tyres right on the limit?! The two most important parts on a car.......tyres and brakes!

Yawn....

It only has two weeks left of MOT, I'm hardly gonna be changing them for that am I....
Thanks given by:
Not the point Tom......this time of year=wet/greasy/icy roads.......good luck stopping it quickly if you need to, which I hope you don't.
Thanks given by:
you will be lucky to get more than £120 for scrap, even as a complete car, prices are shit at the moment.
most of your problems with it seem to be caused by neglect surely?
fair enough if you dont have the money or effort to do it, but with preventitive maintenance and you wouldn't have half of these issues.

seems like youve just let it get this bad so you can scrap it and buy another golf :p
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(04-03-2013, 06:59 PM)gareth7 Wrote: Not the point Tom......this time of year=wet/greasy/icy roads.......good luck stopping it quickly if you need to, which I hope you don't.

Stopping quickly? With a heavy estate on 266s? lmao No chance. It's like trying to stop the 106 NAD with a trailer of rubble lol, I'm amazed they didn't stick bigger brakes on HDis in all honesty.

(04-03-2013, 07:00 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: you will be lucky to get more than £120 for scrap, even as a complete car, prices are shit at the moment.
most of your problems with it seem to be caused by neglect surely?
fair enough if you dont have the money or effort to do it, but with preventitive maintenance and you wouldn't have half of these issues.

seems like youve just let it get this bad so you can scrap it and buy another golf :p

Neglect? I havent even had it 3 months yet for f*ck sake! Dodgy And in that time I gave it a service, replaced front discs and pads, fixed the door loom, replaced the handbrake cables, replaced the front suspension etc etc...I've spent loads more money on it than I did the Golf (golf was lucky if it got serviced tbh. Tongue ) and it seems all that money was wasted on the 306. Oh well we learn from mistakes apparently...but clearly not in my case.

It just so happens that it was driven by a woman before, and we all know women don't realise anythings wrong with thier car until its actually broken down. But it seems to me like literally every wear and tear item has broken in the last 3 months for some reason, unluckiness I guess.

Interestingly, I've had enough money in the bank to buy another Golf for a few months now, but I've chosen not to do so.
Thanks given by:
You might find your local scrap metal merchant will give you a bit more than the scrapyard.

Definitely scrap it though.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(04-03-2013, 06:01 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Moped is still too much to run tbh, and doesn't have enough wheels for someone with no balance. But then even if I took the bus, it'd cost me well over £200 a month so i cant afford that either. Can't afford to live tbh, but unfortunately I'm stuck with that. Dodgy

What? How is a moped expensive to run?

I have a 50 and I've had a 125, both at the same time and the tax, mot and insurance bills came to less than just the insurance on the car.
Thanks given by:
everyone knows that your gonna buy another golf. its the most inevitable thing in the universe ever
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
^agreed......
Thanks given by:
(04-03-2013, 07:05 PM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote:
(04-03-2013, 06:01 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Moped is still too much to run tbh, and doesn't have enough wheels for someone with no balance. But then even if I took the bus, it'd cost me well over £200 a month so i cant afford that either. Can't afford to live tbh, but unfortunately I'm stuck with that. Dodgy

What? How is a moped expensive to run?

I have a 50 and I've had a 125, both at the same time and the tax, mot and insurance bills came to less than just the insurance on the car.

Ok I was taking the piss there, I have no idea what they cost. But I couldn't ride a moped anyway.

(04-03-2013, 07:05 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: everyone knows that your gonna buy another golf. its the most inevitable thing in the universe ever

I'm really not. They haven't depreciated at all in the last 2 years and theres no f*cking way I'm paying £2.5k for a 10 year old Golf with more miles than my HDi...
Thanks given by:
get a golf and f*ck of to their forums you miserable moany lady garden

lol

*Added a smiley to make it less aggresive! :awkward:
Thanks given by:
(04-03-2013, 07:11 PM)Just Sean Wrote: get a golf and f*ck of to their forums you miserable moany lady garden

Maybe I will. Atleast over there they can actually answer the question asked, rather than going off on tangents and adding nothing useful to the thread at all.
Thanks given by:
(04-03-2013, 07:13 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(04-03-2013, 07:11 PM)Just Sean Wrote: get a golf and f*ck of to their forums you miserable moany lady garden

Maybe I will. Atleast over there they can actually answer the question asked, rather than going off on tangents and adding nothing useful to the thread at all.

[Image: benStillerDoIt1.jpg]
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Tom if you really are going to get rid just break it for bits. I broke a 1.8 last year, most of the bodywork was crap and the engine was shot and I made over £600 profit after buying it for £200.
And id also seriously think about getting a ped/bike as summer is on its way and they cost next to nothing to buy/run. Even if its just to get you out of a rough patch. Then you can save your money to buy another bum poker.

Anyway I thought your nan was giving you some money for a new car?

Helpful post!

Also dont listen to these lot, youve been around for a long time now, longer than most others anyway.
Yeah you can be a bit of a tuppence with all your golf talk and moaning about 306s but you're a nice lad and you should sick around imo.
Thanks given by:
tom, get your arse down to the local scrappies, and price the bits second hand. even buy the rear drum setup too. just to tied you over, swop the tyres over for the spares you have. see if you can find a mobile welder to patch the sill up.
not really a scrapper tbh tom,
Thanks given by:
Oh really? What were the valuable parts? Or was it more of lots of small cheap parts?

Nan will give me money for a car, but in all honesty I'm worried about buying anything, as I've had cars between £300 and £3000 and they've literally all been crap. And I just know whatever else I get will also be crap. But I guess I can't just not have anything at all. Sad bike isn't an option as I mainly drive so I can move items/shopping or taxi old ladies, so need some space at least.

The other issue is (but not for this thread) id much rather spend a couple of grand on movibg out than on a car, but I still don't know what to do about it, or even who to talk to about stuff like that atm.

And don't worry I won't be leaving of yet....what else will I do all night lol? lol
Thanks given by:
tom just go down to the local scrappie and price the bits, i dont want to read any excuses Tongue
Thanks given by:
(04-03-2013, 07:49 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh really? What were the valuable parts? Or was it more of lots of small cheap parts?

Everything is valuable to the right person mate.

Beam 80
Skirts 25
Bonnet 30
Doors 20
Wings 15
F bumper 30-50
R bumper 30
Tailgate 30
Wing mirrors 15
Clones 100
Calipers 20
Hubs 25
Air box 5-10
Injectors 30
Hp pump 50
Lift pump 20
Pas pump 15
Alternator 15
Engine 150
Leathers 70
Leather wheel 15
Clocks 20
Heater panel 15
Crystals 30

Thats before you start on the little bits like switches and stalks etc.

Nan will give me money for a car, but in all honesty I'm worried about buying anything, as I've had cars between £300 and £3000 and they've literally all been crap. And I just know whatever else I get will also be crap. But I guess I can't just not have anything at all. Sad bike isn't an option as I mainly drive so I can move items/shopping or taxi old ladies, so need some space at least.

Mate 90% of people will have bought crap cars its pot luck half the time id take her up on it mate if I was you.

The other issue is (but not for this thread) id much rather spend a couple of grand on movibg out than on a car, but I still don't know what to do about it, or even who to talk to about stuff like that atm.

Moving out really isnt the issue here tho. You either need to fix this one or get a new one end of really.

And don't worry I won't be leaving of yet....what else will I do all night lol? lol
Thanks given by:
Lay into it with a sledge hammer/splitting axe, while yelling and screaming at it. It'll make you feel good about yourself if you really hate it that much. Then scrap it, the big holes and dents won't affect how much you get.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
(04-03-2013, 07:46 PM)procta Wrote: tom, get your arse down to the local scrappies, and price the bits second hand. even buy the rear drum setup too. just to tied you over, swop the tyres over for the spares you have. see if you can find a mobile welder to patch the sill up.

Bored of going over this now. Yes it could be put back to factory fresh.....but it'd cost as much to do that as it would to buy a new 308 lol. It's just really not not worth spending money on it. It's not gonna pass MOT without serious money, time and effort which I'm not willing to put into it, as it'll just be a waste.

I've already decided it's not staying (hence destroying it in the last month with abuse, lots of miles and heavy loads). What I'm wanting to know is which of the 5 options would most people go for. Smile
Thanks given by:
(04-03-2013, 08:04 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(04-03-2013, 07:46 PM)procta Wrote: tom, get your arse down to the local scrappies, and price the bits second hand. even buy the rear drum setup too. just to tied you over, swop the tyres over for the spares you have. see if you can find a mobile welder to patch the sill up.

Bored of going over this now. Yes it could be put back to factory fresh.....but it'd cost as much to do that as it would to buy a new 308 lol. It's just really not not worth spending money on it. It's not gonna pass MOT without serious money, time and effort which I'm not willing to put into it, as it'll just be a waste. this time next month it will be a tin of beans.

I've already decided it's not staying (hence destroying it in the last month with abuse, lots of miles and heavy loads). What I'm wanting to know is which of the 5 options would most people go for. Smile

ah well do what my mate did with his A4, thats bell a local scrap man and say got a car here, come and get it. thats after you sell the good bits on.
this time next month it will be a tin of beans.
Thanks given by:
(04-03-2013, 08:03 PM)Oil-burner Wrote: Everything is valuable to the right person mate.

Beam 80
Skirts 25
Bonnet 30
Doors 20
Wings 15
F bumper 30-50
R bumper 30
Tailgate 30
Wing mirrors 15
Clones 100
Calipers 20
Hubs 25
Air box 5-10
Injectors 30
Hp pump 50
Lift pump 20
Pas pump 15
Alternator 15
Engine 150
Leathers 70
Leather wheel 15
Clocks 20
Heater panel 15
Crystals 30

Thats before you start on the little bits like switches and stalks etc.

Most of things are broken or poor condition on mine though. Dodgy

Beam isn't saleable
Skirts cracked
Bonnets creased
Doors and wings are scratched and dented
Front bumper is ruined, scuffs and cracks all over
Rear bumper is also ruined
Tailgate is ruined
Wing mirrors have been bashed about
Clones I'll probably keep ninja
Calipers - fronts work, but does anyone buy little HDi ones?*
Hubs not really saleable with shagged bearings
Airbox ok*
Injectors are f*cked
HP pump might be OK*
Lift pump is on its last legs
PAS pump ok
Alternator doesn't work well enough to sell
Engine is only worth scrap
Leathers are the old W plate ones (thin headrests, no airbags) and not in good condition but I guess saleable*
Leather wheel saleable*
Clocks*
Heater panel*
Silver dash*
Crystals*

So from that list.....it's only like £200 of parts worth selling. Confused
Thanks given by: