What to do with the HDi??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to do with the HDi??
(05-03-2013, 08:34 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Poodle I ignored your post as you said scrap it, which fitted into 3 of the categories.

As for the 'local' scrap metal merchant, nothing is local here. But is there a difference anyway? The closest scrap yards are listed as scrap metal merchants anyway.

And with the golf/mpg thing, I'm not sure if people here just read what they want to read, as for a few months I've made a point of NOT filling the forum with either of those. Ofcourse if people provoke me I'm not just gonna let it go, but see how many times I mention the golf first, its not often at all now.

This is 100% true iv been keeping a close eye on waiting to pounce on him for talkingabout golfs and MPG as a 5% warning was discused for every mention of the two and i havent managed to catch him out yet Tongue

Oh and most cost effective way is to stripp everthing and ask top end prices for the parts

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
(05-03-2013, 09:08 AM)puglove Wrote: Please dont take this the wrong way tom because your a nice lad i like you and have nothing agenst you but.....

This thread is much like other threads you post about cars in the way that its totaly pointless. No matter what anyome says you have to fight it, its wrong, not true your personal opinion is different etc which is fine your choice. But why adk for advise when your just going to fight . You want a car that. Does 150mpg, dosnt break down, doesnt wear parts out, cost 1p a year to insure, has every toy that works perfect and never breaks and works exactly how you want it to. And you want it all for sub £1000. Its just never going to happen. You could spend £30,000 on a brand new car and its still going to have some of the issues that rattle you. Im afraid you have to learn that all is not perfect and you have to make compramises. And learn to love the car. Im mean look at 99% of this forum we all own 10-18 year old pugs that all have a felair few issues time to time but we love the cars so just get on with it. Because if we owned somthing eles it would only be the same with a different a set of issues.

So you just gotta suck it up and accept there us a hand full off common problems with every car. And IMO better the devil you know i.e golf/306 you know cheapest easiest way to go about it. Buy somthing different and you back to square 1 where its costing £££££ to find the issue and fix it because you dont know the cars.

And as for being out of poket i will happen with every car you ever own. It will always happen. My DT prob left me £2500 out of poket over the 2years and its worth what £400-450? But in reality its kept me motoring and only cost £100 here and there. And some of that money spent making it drive like i want it too because you cant buy a car off the shelf that drives like i want it too.

Anyway thats enough of a rant just IMO

Thats fair enough Jamie, but the point here is that I didn't ask about whether I should keep it, or what car I should get next. Yet thats what seems to been discussed the most throught the thread, I deliberately didn't start a 'what car' thread as I know the answers I'll get here.

Incidentally, I didn't lose any money on the Golf, as I broke it for more than I paid now lol. Also the 106, didn't lose anything on that iirc. But yes I know most cars I will lose money on, but its the scale of the loss that I'm interested in. Smile

(05-03-2013, 09:17 AM)puglove Wrote:
(05-03-2013, 08:34 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Poodle I ignored your post as you said scrap it, which fitted into 3 of the categories.

As for the 'local' scrap metal merchant, nothing is local here. But is there a difference anyway? The closest scrap yards are listed as scrap metal merchants anyway.

And with the golf/mpg thing, I'm not sure if people here just read what they want to read, as for a few months I've made a point of NOT filling the forum with either of those. Ofcourse if people provoke me I'm not just gonna let it go, but see how many times I mention the golf first, its not often at all now.

This is 100% true iv been keeping a close eye on waiting to pounce on him for talkingabout golfs and MPG as a 5% warning was discused for every mention of the two and i havent managed to catch him out yet Tongue

Oh and most cost effective way is to stripp everthing and ask top end prices for the parts

Glad someones noticed haha!

And I'm not so sure about that, asking top prices puts people off lol, so not really cost effective then.
Thanks given by:
Amittedly i did go waaaaaay off topic there but i dont think my point was very clear. Maybe not 100% true in this case but the point was supposed to be. The most cost effective way is to repair the car. Basically. What your spent is what your spent iys done and in the past. Buy breaking the car retriving some money. Then go out buy somthing eles may leave you even more out of poket. Then what if you dont like the car. Your even more out of poket with a car you dont like.

Ok so you like the car (not much chance i know Tongue) so its going to be 8+ years old so what if problems start cropping up all over the place? Newer car cost more to sort out ....... Oh feck me im massivly out of poket now!! And worse casr you also dont like the car. In the case brought forward here you were much better off keeping the pug sorting it. See what im getting at here. The people saying to repair it have a point and havent just got their haleads rammed up peugeots ass and trying to defend it.

Plus if you get all this done chances are it will fly through its next 2 MOTs to come. Once sorted its a good car for the next couple of years. See where im going with this?

Again not in a nasty way. But you are bloody picky. Can you risk throwing aload of cash at somthing you may hate more and couse more problems than the pug? As said before better the devil you know?

Thanks given by:
I am out of pocket, with a car I dont like and cant afford to run currently. Not sure the situation could really get much worse than that. And after the Golf's I thought I'd stick with a 306 because I knew about them....that didn't work either.

I also don't think you guys realise the extent of the problems with this car, in the list in the OP I only listed the very major issues with it.....and will almost gaurantee if you were driving it you'd think exactly the same as me. It is a dog, and unfortunately I didn't realise that at the time I bought it. Granted I am more picky than some people (for example, I can't stand the wiring hanging out under the dash looking messy, or the tape on the door loom) but I think major issues like clutch/rust/exhaust/wiring faults/shit bodywork etc are just as irritating and unmotivational for anyone else.

But I've got my answer now so this thread can be closed or whatever if you want.
Thanks given by:
All 306 dervs are old dogs part of the fun i thought lmao

Think youv just been pretty dam unlucky mate.

As for the rust in the quater. One of my 306s went through 3 MOTs like that lmao

Try XUD next lol

Thanks given by:
(05-03-2013, 10:04 AM)puglove Wrote: All 306 dervs are old dogs part of the fun i thought lmao

It must be fun for some people...but it really isn't my idea of fun.

As for the rust, that pic was before xmas....it's much worse now lol, the salt and stuff hasn't helped much!
Thanks given by:
XUD is too good for Tom . . .leave them for people who appreciate the finer things in life, like IDI, veg oil, cheap maintenance, good power to weight, sweet retro styling and most importantly coal POWWAAA! . . . . . .Wink
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
My HDi coals more than half the XUDs anyway! lol Doesn't have power to go with the coal though. Rolleyes

But in all honesty, after 6 306s, both petrol and diesel, it is time for a change. I'm still undecided whether to go for something realy small, really eco and cheap to run. Or to keep something bigger as the space is really useful for me while doing odd jobs (chuck tools, lawnmower, hoover, rubbish etc in the back) but have to pay more for it. This is clearly a decision I need to think about properly though. The next car will not be a 306, or a Golf though. Smile
Thanks given by:
Haha I was taking the piss to some extent, just making the point its a bit rich you commenting on other people making useless posts.

Fair point, figured only you could decide whether it was worth returning to standard or not. Besides, I thought itd be rude to point out you've got feck all else to do with your time. Wink
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Go small and eco then get a small trailer & tow bar. Best of both worlds lmao

Thanks given by:
(05-03-2013, 10:43 AM)Poodle Wrote: I thought itd be rude to point out you've got feck all else to do with your time. Wink

Doh Love the way people assume this.....I barely get any spare time! Sad Probably cos I'm too nice lol, do anything for anyone. Dodgy

(05-03-2013, 11:44 AM)puglove Wrote: Go small and eco then get a small trailer & tow bar. Best of both worlds lmao

I've got a small trailer, but its only good for rubbish really. It's not damped so anything 'nice' would get broken. Its big to store, is taking up half my Nans garage atm (not the Nan in the flat obv haha) and she's not exactly happy about it! And its such a pain to park and reverse with. Which is why I'll prob's end up selling it tbh. Undecided
Thanks given by:
Tom I'm going to be blunt here. You are being a f*cking idiot and this is getting really old now!

Firstly, you are not out of pocket if you sell or scrap it. You bought it an have used it a lot with no maintenance. A 12 year old car needs maintenance regardless if its a Bentley or a micra so what the f*ck do you expect?
Secondly, you seem to want everything for nothing. You are living in a fantasy world with these cars and the sooner you pull your head out of your rectum and realise how unrealistic you are being, the sooner you can accept the fact you will not get back what you paid and you can forget about it.

Tom, I like you but you really do need to stop being such a whiny little bitch and just get on with life. You are your own worst enemy with everything in life and you arnt even trying to help your self. You just have to bitch about every single thing and it is getting really f*cking boring now.

Man up, pull your head out of your arse and sort your shit out and before you whine saying "oh I've tried, I can't, it's impossible, I might as well just go and kill my self because life isn't worth living because I bought a old car and haven't looked after it at all" don't bother because I will just lock this thread and won't hesitate to lock any others that you start just to have people feel sorry for you.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
in a nutshell ^^^^^ . . .lol here here
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
*hear hear :p
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(05-03-2013, 03:43 PM)Poodle Wrote: *hear hear :p

it did cross my mind when writing it and turns out you are correct sir, tis' a reference to hearing what some one has to say, where as i mistakenly thought it was drawing attention to ones self as if to say, "i am HERE and i agree with the right honorable gentleman"
i willingly concede to your correction sir and moreover in fact thank you deeply for it . . Talking . . . . x

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hear,_hear
Thanks given by:
(05-03-2013, 04:22 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: ...turns out you are correct sir...

Obvs.

Loves ya!
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
tbh I'd sell the good parts on ebay and get the rest to the scrapyard

slightly offtopic but if you liked the Golf why don't you get another one? If all the PDs have failed, try a VP pumped diesel? I'm driving a VP110 at the moment and it's not really fast, it's a little less economic than a PD and probably worse than a XUD from the technical point of view but I'm sure it's alot more reliable than a PD. also it's a VAGAY but i'm trying to ignore that Wink
Thanks given by:
(05-03-2013, 06:45 PM)Poodle Wrote:
(05-03-2013, 04:22 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: ...turns out you are correct sir...

Obvs.

Loves ya!

the chances you will get to pull me up on grammar will be few and far between, enjoy this moment for it may never occur again . . lol
Thanks given by:
(05-03-2013, 10:01 AM)Toms306 Wrote: I am out of pocket, with a car I dont like and cant afford to run currently. Not sure the situation could really get much worse than that. And after the Golf's I thought I'd stick with a 306 because I knew about them....that didn't work either.

I also don't think you guys realise the extent of the problems with this car, in the list in the OP I only listed the very major issues with it.....and will almost gaurantee if you were driving it you'd think exactly the same as me. It is a dog, and unfortunately I didn't realise that at the time I bought it. Granted I am more picky than some people (for example, I can't stand the wiring hanging out under the dash looking messy, or the tape on the door loom) but I think major issues like clutch/rust/exhaust/wiring faults/shit bodywork etc are just as irritating and unmotivational for anyone else.

But I've got my answer now so this thread can be closed or whatever if you want.

the the problem as puglove said mate is you could buy a new old car and it could still be awful and youre even more out of pocket. the best thing to do is the fix the car.

If the car costs £1000 and needs £300 of repairs then youve got a working car.

If you scrap the car and break it for £300 then youre -£700 with no car.

If you then buy a new car for £2000 then you have a better car and youre -£2700.

About being able to run it... you wont get a much cheaper car to run. Insurance is cheap enough, 40-50MPG is decent, the power isnt the worst thing in the world and is more than youll get in the majority of cars.

With a new car, your insruance will be the same, your fuel costs will be mostly the same, your tax may be half the cost. You may be saving 30% max each year but the point is that without having a job even 70% of what youre currently paying would still be a lot!

In all seriousness you need to go out there and get a job and not worry about the car. Once youve got money itll be fine. As much as people on here are trolling you to leave what will you do if you get a Golf? Just move on their forum and complain just as much? If youve got breakdown cover then youre not exactly stuck! Worse things have happened (mostly on decs seats)
Thanks given by:
I think Niall has scared Tom.. But I agree 100% you wait til you get your own place, I'm 22, me and mrs got own place, she doesnt work and I pay all bills (phones, car, gas elec, rent etc etc) I earn about 1700 a month, got paid today and I've got 300 ish left..

I've had my pug for ~4 years and never had any MAJOR problems.. Just look after them, when something starts goin (say a wheel bearing) then just change both as soon as 1 is starting to fail.. Much cheaper bit by bit than doin as you did and leaving it all
Thanks given by:
Drive it into a tree,

Then use your legs? Assuming you have legs of course..
[Image: brokendown-1-1-1.jpg]

Dturbo GT2259s build thread;
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-3692.html

Daily driver; 330d Msport (doesn't blow up!)
Thanks given by:
(06-03-2013, 01:51 AM)Seb_Ryan Wrote: I think Niall has scared Tom.. But I agree 100% you wait til you get your own place, I'm 22, me and mrs got own place, she doesnt work and I pay all bills (phones, car, gas elec, rent etc etc) I earn about 1700 a month, got paid today and I've got 300 ish left..

I've had my pug for ~4 years and never had any MAJOR problems.. Just look after them, when something starts goin (say a wheel bearing) then just change both as soon as 1 is starting to fail.. Much cheaper bit by bit than doin as you did and leaving it all

I can both sympathize with and dispute this at the same time. I've owned my HDi for 8 years, since it was 4 years old with FPSH. It hasn't really ever required any major mechanical work, bar a clutch and a rear beam. I over-maintain it but I do lots of miles in it - she is a good car and plenty reliable.

My brothers car came at 8 years old when we got it, with no service history but service/mot/cambelt from CG cars. I don't know whether it's just my mechanically inept brother, but his seems to have stuff go wrong with it that i've never had go wrong with mine. A neglectful previous owner can do worlds of untold damage, likewise some cars are just friday afternoon cars.

I do, on the whole, echo Niall's sentiments.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by: