Waste veg oil filtering

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waste veg oil filtering
Not sure if this is the right section but seen as its only us bosch'ed guys that can run it thought this would be the right section.

So after speaking to the Chinese i work for last night he offered me his old oil for free! So i said i would look in to how to filter and i would let him no if i would have it.

So been searching on the net this morning either im useless at searching for stuff or the info isnt there.

So im hoping you guys can help i have no idea were to start when it comes to make some system up for filtering i dont want it to cost me a fortune as im unsure how much oil and how long i will get it for.

So were do i start lol

Thanks given by:
old pair of jeans tie the leg up and poor in and filter !
i used to use a pillow case to get the lumps out then used to leave and let settle for a few weeks then pour off the clean and use

it all depends on what they have fried in the oil
meats release animal fat and that stuff plugs filters and lines oil needs to be warm to flow well
Thanks given by:
(15-03-2013, 09:32 AM)cully Wrote: old pair of jeans tie the leg up and poor in and filter !
i used to use a pillow case to get the lumps out then used to leave and let settle for a few weeks then pour off the clean and use

it all depends on what they have fried in the oil
meats release animal fat and that stuff plugs filters and lines oil needs to be warm to flow well

Isnt there some propa filters that you can buy carnt see jeans lasting long filtering stuff lol Tbh i have no idea what they fry in there oil but i would gess they fry meats in there, isnt there a way to remove the animal fats?

Like these filters is 5 micron fine enough to use on the car? or would i have to be down to 1 micron?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3X28-50-25-5-M...2a299d41d2

Thanks given by:
you want to filter down to lower than the fuel filter rating

do your resurce first there are 100's of sites out there regarding oil filtering veg oil fuel

http://vegburner.co.uk/links.html
Thanks given by:
On the phone atm so cant see that link. I leave it to settle for as long as possible, then filter it through the 20L filter bags off ebay down to 1 micron. I'm lucky that I can leave it settle for a while and then just filter a big lump, say 500L in an afternoon, then just pump it out of a tank into the car. The filters are a bit of hassle to clean so its kinda best if you can do a big lump in one go and then tidy it all away, obv though depends on your supply and space etc.

I have seen setups that use a motor and enclosed filters, my opinion is there slower but may be more suitable if your only looking to do a few litres at a time.

Vegetableoildiesel.co.uk is a good site with lots of info on different setups.
Gov modded 11mm Bosch + Standard turbo = 137.2bhp . . . . TD04 now in...time to get playing!
Thanks given by:
(15-03-2013, 01:07 PM)Harky Wrote: On the phone atm so cant see that link. I leave it to settle for as long as possible, then filter it through the 20L filter bags off ebay down to 1 micron. I'm lucky that I can leave it settle for a while and then just filter a big lump, say 500L in an afternoon, then just pump it out of a tank into the car. The filters are a bit of hassle to clean so its kinda best if you can do a big lump in one go and then tidy it all away, obv though depends on your supply and space etc.

I have seen setups that use a motor and enclosed filters, my opinion is there slower but may be more suitable if your only looking to do a few litres at a time.

Vegetableoildiesel.co.uk is a good site with lots of info on different setups.

Thanks just joined that site see if i get some help/info of there Smile

Thanks given by:
im out at the mo....pm me and ill get a link to some easy to use filters.. any micron.. great supplier.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(15-03-2013, 01:53 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: im out at the mo....pm me and ill get a link to some easy to use filters.. any micron.. great supplier.

Ok mate thanks Smile

Thanks given by:
piggy pm me the link too as i use filters to clean my gray water system
Thanks given by:
pm me your email chap
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
From what I understand it's a lot of hassle and unless your doing a lot of miles every month then it doesn't work out much cheaper then SVO.

Also you run a higherrisk of blocking up fuel lines etc. If reliability is essential then I wouldn't advise it.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
why would you run risk of blocking fuel lines?!?!?!

I get my veg oil for 60p pr litre...after filters its around 70p a litre!!

Personally I think wvo runs better too
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(15-03-2013, 08:03 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: why would you run risk of blocking fuel lines?!?!?!

I get my veg oil for 60p pr litre...after filters its around 70p a litre!!

Personally I think wvo runs better too

So it's 20p cheaper then SVO and you have the added hassle of collecting the WVO, buying filtering requipment, having a filtering method/setup, having space to store the WVO and filtered WVO etc..

If your doing 1000+ miles a month crack on, otherwise it's not worth the hassle IMO.

Even then, 1000 miles is only around £90 in SVO.. Worth the hassle for saving of about £20 a month?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
IF you can get SVO for 90p a litre!

Im in middle of cotswolds...30mim from any real town...and I do 1000miles min a month
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Fair enough, if I did uber miles I'd probably have a go myself!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
where can you get svo for 90p anyway?!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Tesco and Asda have deals on now and again so its best to just clear the shelf when they do.

For example Asda had 3L bottles for £2.50, i bought £100's worth.

Otherwise if no offers are on poundland as a last resort always have it for a quid (obviously).

Another option is whole salers such as Macro and Bookers.

Plenty of options..
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Im abit put off with the ball ache with it all tbh, just seems safer and easyer to run svo than wvo, If you go to the right cash and carrys you can get it for £17.99 for 20l 89p a liter less chance of blocking filters on svo to.....

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WVO Filtering & filling Andy annear 7 2,268 07-06-2013, 06:43 PM
Last Post: Chris_90
  WVO Self Filtering Guide? silverzx 8 2,289 07-05-2012, 07:41 PM
Last Post: Harky
  Rounded my waste gate lock nut puglove 6 1,813 28-03-2012, 06:00 PM
Last Post: ginge191