Oil burning ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil burning ?
After accelerating hard the smell of burning comes through the vents and also emits white smoke from the exhuast with the same burning smell, kind of smells sweet. I removed the oil cap and steam came out of that aswell.
any ideas thanks
Thanks given by:
Sounds like it could be the head gasket but it's rare for one to go on these engines.

The oil burning smell could be whatever oil is on the outside of the engine burning as the temps rise when booting it and if it's a bit of steam coming out the rocker that could be whatever water as condensed in the engine boiling off?

Is the car getting through water, oil, is there any oil in the expansion tank and is the cooling system pressurising a lot more then usual?
Thanks given by:
That sweet smell is burning coolant. As said above, sounds like headgasket, although could be a knackered water/oil heat exchanger.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Cars not using any oil or water and runs spot on
Thanks given by:
If its oil smell and white smoke it could be the turbo seals.....mine does it and I know its f*cked lol. If its sweet smelling coolant and white steam though, thats more likely to be headgasket blown as said above.
Thanks given by:
No sign of emulsion in the oil cap, coolant tank or sump?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oil burning... dr_jekyll 6 1,624 05-02-2016, 12:58 PM
Last Post: dr_jekyll
  burning smell fgrc76 7 2,245 05-10-2014, 12:58 PM
Last Post: LewisG