Glow plugs or relay??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glow plugs or relay??
As I mentioned in a recent thread I started, I'm having cold start issues with my 306 DT (Phase 1).

Changed the glow plugs a couple of weeks back as assumed that was my cause, but problem still there.

Sometimes it will take ages and numerous attempts to get her started. Other times, like this morning, I turned ignition on, then off after glow plug light went out, and repeated this about four times and it kicked over straight away. Soon as she's warm then she will start without a problem.

I've also been trying to use a mini set of jump leads, one end on glow plug and other on positive battery terminal but don't know if this is even helping as I don't get a spark when I touch the battery terminal.

Couldn't be glow plug relay? Glow plug light comes on ok and goes out. Also, when ignition is switched on there is a faint constant hum which I'm sure is just normal where power is switched on for glow plugs and they're heating up, right?

Worth mentioning that my alternator is buggered as battery light is on faintly constantly but I have another one to fit at the weekend.

Any suggestions would be awesome guys!
Opinions are like bumholes. Everyone has one, and we all think everyone elses stinks.
Thanks given by:
What glowplugs did you use

I replace mine with ngk's and after a week they where f*cked again, maybe worth taking them out and testing them again
Thanks given by:
Denso ones from Euros.

How would I test them? Do they have to be taken out to be tested?
Opinions are like bumholes. Everyone has one, and we all think everyone elses stinks.
Thanks given by:
take the common bar off the top that links the 4 together
use an ohm meter and measure the tops of each one to ground
each one should measure about 1-2ohms
any that are open circuit are dead
Thanks given by:
Tried again this lunch time.

Turned ignition on and waited for glow plug light to go out after about 6 seconds. Then turned it off and on again waiting for light to go out each time, obviously it wouldn't stay on as long each time as they are already warm from the previous turn.

After the fourth time, went to kick it over and started fine with no problem.

Is this suggesting glow plugs are shagged even though they're fairly new?

Could it be the glow plug relay that causes this or not?

Either way I know how to get it started for now but if I can then I'll take the plugs back for a refund.
Thanks given by:
what voltage is getting to the plugs?
Thanks given by:
I don't work with electrics so am never sure what somebody means when they say what voltage are you getting across them, or getting from 'there to there'. Therefore I wouldn't have a clue and short of someone explaining exactly how to test the voltage I wouldn't be able to find out either. I have access to a multimeter and am able to use it, but not sure on how to test for voltage.

Just finished work and did the same procedure. Ignition on, way for light to go out, then repeat three or four times. And it started on the button again, third time successively today.

Pretty sure it means my glow plugs are shagged even though they are fairly new.
Thanks given by:
put the positive end of the mulitimeter onto one of your glow plugs, the negitive onto the negitive of the battery, and when the ignition is turn on till th heater light is on it will read what voltage is getting to you heater plugs

id say more than likely your plugs are gone, get some bosch duraterms off ebay
Thanks given by:
Ok cheers I will give that a go one evening. Do I need to disconnect the rail that connects all four glow plugs up first?

And what voltage should I be hoping to get?
Thanks given by:
naw to test voltage just leave the rail on

you should be getting the same as ur battery, iirc just slightly over 12v

if your getting that then you plugs are f*cked
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Glow plug relay - help please Pugmarshall 5 2,322 13-01-2019, 06:27 PM
Last Post: weka
  3 sets of glow plugs in 3 months???? HELP wdoyle2410 4 2,428 31-08-2018, 01:07 AM
Last Post: wdoyle2410
  Glow plugs unscrew but can't be removed EdAppleton 15 3,571 07-11-2016, 04:17 PM
Last Post: EdAppleton