FAO Toms306, A little confession.....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FAO Toms306, A little confession.....
Tom I crashed my GTi6 whilst concentrating, everyone makes mistakes, but I think that you do need to concentrate 100% of the time whilst driving, yes. The less distractions you have the better, IMO.

If you've clipped the kerb because you were waiting to be saved by ESP or TC or ASM or anything else then you've already cocked up! There shouldn't be those 'moments of clenching' although you may be an exception that you have spent more time clenching than the rest of us.

Also, what experience have you of a daily commute? I've commuted to work virtually since passing my test, over varying distances. You have to be 'on it' in the mornings and evenings because the quality of driving exhibited is frankly awful, I wouldn't get time to use a lot of the 'creature comforts' a modern car offers anyway!
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
(20-02-2013, 09:41 AM)Toms306 Wrote: But I totally agree with your second point, I dont want a stripped out race car as a daily....who would?

*Ahem*

My commute...

*snip*
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
(20-02-2013, 10:05 AM)C.A.R. Wrote: Tom I crashed my GTi6 whilst concentrating, everyone makes mistakes, but I think that you do need to concentrate 100% of the time whilst driving, yes. The less distractions you have the better, IMO.

If you've clipped the kerb because you were waiting to be saved by ESP or TC or ASM or anything else then you've already cocked up! There shouldn't be those 'moments of clenching' although you may be an exception that you have spent more time clenching than the rest of us.

Also, what experience have you of a daily commute? I've commuted to work virtually since passing my test, over varying distances. You have to be 'on it' in the mornings and evenings because the quality of driving exhibited is frankly awful, I wouldn't get time to use a lot of the 'creature comforts' a modern car offers anyway!

Yes, of course you should have full concentration, but what i'm saying is it's simply not possible.

I wasn't waiting to be saved, it was just too late time I'd tried powering through a corner and realised it was going wrong, it was better just to bounce off the verge than try and over correct lol. I didn't ever wait for ESP, but I panic in that kind of situation, where I expect other people do as well, and it's bloody useful when that happens. If you don't panic when stuff like that happens then I envy you!

Just becuase I don't go to work, doesn't mean Im not out in the traffic at the same time - regardless of the forum rumours, most days I'm out at the same time as everyone else for various reasons...it'd be nice if I could just at home on my arse all day wouldn't it, unfortunately that isn't the case. lol

(20-02-2013, 10:37 AM)Ed Doe Wrote:
(20-02-2013, 09:41 AM)Toms306 Wrote: But I totally agree with your second point, I dont want a stripped out race car as a daily....who would?

*Ahem*

My commute...

*snip*

I don't have 13 miuntes to waste watching that lol, but I'll assume you're honning the '6. That isn't most peoples commutes. Mine consits of a massive queue of traffic along a single carriageway for 12 miles where people can't keep a constant speed, the concertina effect is always going on and you're lucky if you hit 45mph all the way there. Then you have the town traffic - which in a car with a loud exhaust, a hunting idle, a knackered gearbox and a heavy clutch takes its toll!
Thanks given by:
who me?! No, that wasn't driving the '6, that's just part of my commute (up to Petworth going through the walled bit), the rest is going down to Curt's in Chichester the other side of Petworth).

Definitely not me driving my car though...
Thanks given by:
mega jelly of those roads.. look epic
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Totally heart my commute. Only reason I still have my 6! Watching that video again I cannot wait for summer!!

We should do a pug run or something across those roads, I've got enough stored on my head to keep us lot enter the for an afternoon including some epic pubs for lunch on the way!
Thanks given by:
Aye that does look like fun.

Tom, if you can loose control of a mass-produced-family hatchback like it was some form of lairy Caterham on public roads and all you can do is panic, perhaps you are in need of some tuition?

I'm all for hooning. Where else will you find your cars' limit? There's a time and a place for it though, which is why the Police will turn a blind eye on occasion (cue me, 130+ in a certain Toyota on a busy stretch of road. Blues and twos. Much swearing. Fortunately, he was just signalling me to slow down, didn't even pull me over. Lesson learned).

Too many people find the 306's tendency for oversteer by mistake. If you find out what it takes to provoke it then it will make you a much safer driver, plus give you the opportunity to show off on a greasy roundabout once in a while. Key is to lift, then give it opposite lock, then keep the revs up until it's straight again. Don't just mash the pedal though, or you'll find yourself overcorrecting, then you will panic, brake and begin a nice fishtail up the road...
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
"Ahh, why? Why do I get stuck behind the worlds least sporty biker?"

lmao

It is a great road on a summers day, definitely should get something organised Smile
Thanks given by:
(20-02-2013, 01:40 PM)Curt Wrote: "Ahh, why? Why do I get stuck behind the worlds least sporty biker?"

lmao

It is a great road on a summers day, definitely should get something organised Smile

Haha, I forgot about that part! Tongue

Yeah, we deffos need to sort something for when the weather gets better!! (we all hope!)
Thanks given by:
(20-02-2013, 11:53 AM)Ed Doe Wrote: We should do a pug run or something across those roads, I've got enough stored on my head to keep us lot enter the for an afternoon including some epic pubs for lunch on the way!

No. Any sensible driver wont keep up with you Ed!

Tom, the fact that you wanted the driver aids to protect you from loosing it is really quite bad. No computer no matter how complex can be as complex as a human brain and that is why sometimes, even the most modern of car safety systems just do not work!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(20-02-2013, 04:30 PM)Niall Wrote:
(20-02-2013, 11:53 AM)Ed Doe Wrote: We should do a pug run or something across those roads, I've got enough stored on my head to keep us lot enter the for an afternoon including some epic pubs for lunch on the way!

Tom, the fact that you wanted the driver aids to protect you from loosing it is really quite bad. No computer no matter how complex can be as complex as a human brain and that is why sometimes, even the most modern of car safety systems just do not work!

But the point is (as I keep saying) the human brain is susseptable to distractions, tiredness, panic etc....ECUs will never get those problems and will perform the same under any circumstance.
Thanks given by:
(20-02-2013, 06:38 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(20-02-2013, 04:30 PM)Niall Wrote:

But the point is (as I keep saying) the human brain is susseptable to distractions, tiredness, panic etc....ECUs will never get those problems and will perform the same under any circumstance.

Only if you let it though. You should realise when enough is enough and its time to pull over and have a kip. You shouldnt let your self become distracted. That way, you wont crash through your own fault. Obviously if someone else isnt concentrating, you can crash because of them but even a computer cant help resolve that. If it could, people just wouldnt crash!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I love my modern 150+bhp diesel as a daily

I HATE traction control, I also HATE ABS. If I could choose i'd lose them both instantly.

There is nothing more fun than slinging a hot hatch with no tc/esp/abs or even power steering.. into some windy roads.

But watching Ed's video has just made me want to save hard now to get an old hot hatch for the summer as a 2nd car.
Thanks given by:
Thanks Niall, but I understand that not everyone wants to drive flat out or whatever; and believe it or not I am capable of a nice drive in the countryside a without going flat out. As I've said a few times, you and I and a few others made the mistake of spending on shinies for our cars and not having enough cash left over after everything to actually enjoy driving them last year! We spoke about doing a nice drive in the countryside to a decent pub for lunch every 6 weeks or so, so we could really get out and enjoy the cars.

I know you're trying to get a rise out of me, but besides driving enthusiastically when I'm on my own and it is safe to do so, I really am a pretty sedate driver!

(20-02-2013, 06:44 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: But watching Ed's video has just made me want to save hard now to get an old hot hatch for the summer as a 2nd car.

Big Grin Pleased Big Grin But it definitely wasn't me just to clarify...
Thanks given by:
Whoa whoa whoa I want to drive with ya ed!!
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(20-02-2013, 06:50 PM)Ed Doe Wrote: Thanks Niall, but I understand that not everyone wants to drive flat out or whatever; and believe it or not I am capable of a nice drive in the countryside a without going flat out. As I've said a few times, you and I and a few others made the mistake of spending on shinies for our cars and not having enough cash left over after everything to actually enjoy driving them last year! We spoke about doing a nice drive in the countryside to a decent pub for lunch every 6 weeks or so, so we could really get out and enjoy the cars.

I know you're trying to get a rise out of me, but besides driving enthusiastically when I'm on my own and it is safe to do so, I really am a pretty sedate driver!

Well after watching a few parts of that video and others, id disagree but thats a conversation for another time.

Yeah that is one problem with modifying cars. I was terrible for it last year. spent so much on parts (quite a few i didnt even need) that i was running out of money to run the car. This year, its getting servicing and maintenance and maybe the odd cheap shiny and thats it. rest is going on enjoying it and maybe a few track sessions

Watching that video though does make me really wish it was summer again!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Omg that drive to work is f*ing awsome, so jealous
Thanks given by:
(20-02-2013, 07:01 PM)Niall Wrote: I know you're trying to get a rise out of me, but besides driving enthusiastically when I'm on my own and it is safe to do so, I really am a pretty sedate driver!

Well after watching a few parts of that video and others, id disagree but thats a conversation for another time.

Yeah that is one problem with modifying cars. I was terrible for it last year. spent so much on parts (quite a few i didnt even need) that i was running out of money to run the car. This year, its getting servicing and maintenance and maybe the odd cheap shiny and thats it. rest is going on enjoying it and maybe a few track sessions

Watching that video though does make me really wish it was summer again!
[/quote]

You know one of the things I like about you (apart from the sex change) is that you say what you think, but we're going to have to agree to disagree on the above. I appreciate your opinion though Smile I would also be quite surprised if you didn't drive similarly on roads you know like the back of your hand...

Either way the video served to make my point; I'm taking it down now.

We can definitely agree on the last bit though, I cannot WAIT until summer!!!
Thanks given by:
Ed, i think this conversation is a good excuse for either a bacon sarnie and coffee or a pint and a burger!

Me thinks i will need to hurry up and get some PE2s before they run out seeing as my shitty T1rs are almost dead (or will be by the time they have been up the hill lol)
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(20-02-2013, 07:21 PM)Niall Wrote: Ed, i think this conversation is a good excuse for either a bacon sarnie and coffee or a pint and a burger!

Me thinks i will need to hurry up and get some PE2s before they run out seeing as my shitty T1rs are almost dead (or will be by the time they have been up the hill lol)

Bambi-burger & Ale at The Horseguards? Big Grin

Yeah Christ I need to too, only problem is I just dont have £430-odd for PS2s for the Turinis! Sad
I also really want to get something decent for winter on the clones too, but that's something else to worry about come end of the year again!! lol
Thanks given by:
Nice gear change at 2.13 Wink
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
I don't even need to check the video to know which one you mean! *Whambam......Whambambam....*ingear*WaaaaaaaAAAAAA*

LOL
Thanks given by:
(20-02-2013, 07:35 PM)Ed Doe Wrote:
(20-02-2013, 07:21 PM)Niall Wrote: Ed, i think this conversation is a good excuse for either a bacon sarnie and coffee or a pint and a burger!

Bambi-burger & Ale at The Horseguards? Big Grin

Yes! We just wont tell Maz Tongue
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's happened to Toms306? Silky 7 2,403 02-04-2017, 07:30 AM
Last Post: Silky
  Happy Birthday Toms306 Dum-Dum 24 4,397 15-02-2016, 06:58 PM
Last Post: Toms306
Heart Happy birthday Toms306! WiNgNuTz 26 3,371 15-02-2015, 06:57 PM