Possible swap...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible swap...
Gotta say, wearing trainers it prob woulda been fine, but I was wearing boats like normal, never forget the night my ma drove his 1.1 and was pressing the brake instead of the clutch, managed to stall it by forcing it into reverse Big Grin

Vts is so quick because of an epicly short ratio box, there isn't a massive power difference, a vtr with a vts box is a gd bit quicker than a stock vtr, have drove a vts, only a quick run down the road to test it was driving ok after being lowered, really surprised me how quick it was

They are great craic no doubt
Thanks given by:
(20-02-2013, 11:47 AM)C.A.R. Wrote: I dunno mate, the difference between 8v and 16v is quite considerable, the VTS will blow a VTR into the weeds in most situations, unless you tune the VTR a lot.

The insurance isn't much different (for me anyway) since the VTR model, despite being several groups lower, has been tarnished with a reputation because most fall into the wrong hands and subsequently 'fall' into the surrounding scenery...

Fair play if you want a VTR, by all means they are a decent little steer. But they will only depreciate in value with age and just don't live up to the Saxo's only-model-worth-having VTS.

Again dude, your missing the point. I know a VTS is faster, and I'm not bothered, I'm not gonna go racing VTSs so I won't be blown into the weeds. Also, again, there isn't much between an 8v and a 16v, the 16v has a bit more power but less low down torque and lower gearing. Like I said, I've had a 106 GTI and driven many a VTR.

My insurance company will insure a VTR on my current payment for the DT which is £49 a month, they want £90 for a VTS or £93 for a 106 GTI.

And lastly, a VTR won't depreciate much faster, and seeing as a VTR is already half the price of the equivalent VTS I can't see me losing much of my £600 in the long run.

The VTS really isn't the only one worth having, it's a VTR with a bit more power, that's like saying an 8v Golf GTI isn't worth having, or a 1.6 GTI 205 isn't worth having.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
I'm test driving the VTR tonight Smile
Thanks given by:
(20-02-2013, 11:18 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Wait...a saxo VTR!?

Really Liam? Confused I mean when I was 17 and racing my mate out of the college carpark (1.4 306 vs VTR lol) then they seemed good.....but now...erm....no. Tongue But of course its your choice, why are you asking anyway? f*ck other peoples opinion lol. Smile

what tom, you took a car over 4k rpm?

anyway liam, upto you if you like saxos, i know you like to own practically every car.
you can always upgrade the power, but i recon a nice AX again would suit you down to a T.
Thanks given by:
I'd like an AX again but I'd never find one as good as my GTI, that was just immaculate...

Drove my mates VTR, quite liked it. Very nippy, and felt just like my old 106 to drive, bit baggy suspension wise and the clutch is slipping so I'm giving it a miss but I wouldn't mind one...
Thanks given by:
you can get an AX liam, just have to pay some coin now! i cannot get hold of a metro for the price i paid for the Gta. your looking at about 500 onwards now for a mint one.
Thanks given by:
is it a phase 1 or phase 2 saxo?

i liked my phase 1 vts more than i care to admit, a saxo is actually pretty amazing once you strip the f*ck out of it with some coilovers.
i had an ex cituning demo car so admittedly it was close to 180bhp and mostly carbon fibre, but my god could it go round a corner!

only got rid of it because the engine exploded then caught fire going over a hill
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(21-02-2013, 08:38 PM)procta Wrote: you can get an AX liam, just have to pay some coin now! i cannot get hold of a metro for the price i paid for the Gta. your looking at about 500 onwards now for a mint one.

Mine was a GTI mate, and they're very rare, only made for a year. They had the same 100bhp 1.4 engine as the 106 XSI and nicer wheels, mine had 41k on it when I got it and I sold it with 75k, never had a car so long!

(21-02-2013, 08:40 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: is it a phase 1 or phase 2 saxo?

i liked my phase 1 vts more than i care to admit, a saxo is actually pretty amazing once you strip the f*ck out of it with some coilovers.
i had an ex cituning demo car so admittedly it was close to 180bhp and mostly carbon fibre, but my god could it go round a corner!

only got rid of it because the engine exploded then caught fire going over a hill

Phase 2 mate, 100bhp silver top Smile
Thanks given by:
my mate had a Vts saxo phase1 10 years ago, it was well vicious. when i took him out in my vvc, he said its just as vicious as his old vts was.
Thanks given by:
To be honest, what I'm thinking of is small, light, decent MPG, cheap to buy and insure, revvy petrol engine and cheap to buy and fix. Here's the list I've got in my head just now...

Saxo VTR/VTS
106 XSI/Rallye/GTI
Ford Puma

I'm kinda bored of modding cars, just want something fun out of the box. Much as I like 306s, the only really fun petrol is the '6 which is a great car but far too expensive to run for how quick it is, and I'm not really enjoying driving diesels these days. Even when I've modded diesels, I just don't like the way they deliver the power...
Thanks given by:
Ford Puma looks a bit girly but ive got to admit the 1.7 engine is really nice to drive, been tempted by 1 of them for a while. Not the quickest car in the world but feels really sporty and has a nice touch when you downshift that the engine automatically revs... Think the engine is built by Yamaha iirc
Thanks given by:
Id do what rickye said, vtr with a vts box!
Wouldnt say they are bad motors tbh decent mpgz and not all that slow. Deffo go for a blue one tho, easily the best colour. Black is ok but looks tired easily and diablo just lacquer peels like a bastard!
[Image: A1A3B2B1-9269-463A-9F21-2ABF4CE9BEAC-165...A3B3F7.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Mk4 facelift Fiesta zetec-s? Lots of rusty ones about now but theyre nippy and handle quite well so I've heard.
Team hand-painted-commercial Vehicle
Thanks given by:
I do love 106 Gtis, really want one, if I didn't get diesel for free I probably would get one soon
Thanks given by:
Had a quick look at Pumas on auto trader, more or less giving them away just now. There's a nice silver 1.7 near me with 80k and full MOT and fairly tidy bodywork for £495...
Thanks given by:
Whats Insurance like on them? I remember lookin a few years ago and they were ridiculous
Thanks given by:
Group 12-13 I think, quoted me around 400 a couple of years ago fully comp. I'm gonna start looking for 1 again I think...

FC with full no claims £267 for the year. Not bad at all, £20 more than the 306
Thanks given by:
Just went and had a go in that Puma, bloody great drive but rough, scraped bumpers, rusty arches and I suspect it's done a few more miles than it said on the clock. Feels like a 205 handling wise!
Thanks given by:
At that price, might be a good do-re-up-er...! Knock them down on price a bit??
[Image: Sig3_zpscd005eb1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
nooo, dont buy a ford with rusty arches, keep searching for a better one.
i bet if you gave the rusty area a light thump it would collapse in on itself.
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(23-02-2013, 02:15 PM)Alee83 Wrote: At that price, might be a good do-re-up-er...! Knock them down on price a bit??

To be fair mate, have a look on auto trader or ebay, there's shedloads for sale, about 25 within 30 miles just on auto trader alone, I can afford to be picky because there's so much choice. Can't help but think they could look really decent as well with a bit of a drop and some of those 5-spoke alloys off a Mondeo Zetec...

(23-02-2013, 03:28 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: nooo, dont buy a ford with rusty arches, keep searching for a better one.
i bet if you gave the rusty area a light thump it would collapse in on itself.

It was very crispy, but I doubt I'll find one without some rot, they are Fords...
Thanks given by:
1.7 Puma > any Saxo tbh, better looking car with a nice engine

Sure they are a bit girly and I even managed to outgun one in my little old Mazda, but they are a good steer. Good luck finding a decent one without rust!
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Puma's are so girly...but epic

they handle sublime

the engines are sweet as a nut...yamaha built...
and when the VCt kicks in...amazing

remove the torque limiter in 1st/2nd and wooooohooo

plus racing puma bits are cheaper now...so yo can see 150bhp+ cheaply
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Ebay number 111012961501

Best of both worlds mate puma engine with the better looks of the mk5 fezzie.
Thanks given by:
(23-02-2013, 11:30 PM)Oil-burner Wrote: Ebay number 111012961501

Best of both worlds mate puma engine with the better looks of the mk5 fezzie.

Yea not bad, looks nice and standard too. Look at the drivers seat, looks like someone has had a little accident! Eww

Shit like that can be expensive to insure though, but I think Liam is quite old?!
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
Thanks given by:
Cheeky c*nt! I'm only 25!
Thanks given by:
I think the Skoda made me think you were getting on a bit... :p
Thanks given by:
Was a bit old for me, part of why I got rid. Main reason was realising power doesn't equal fun. 210bhp can be boring...
Thanks given by:
liam if your gonna go for a ford, get a propper ford! bit of 1970s action
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MK4-FORD-CORTI...3a7ea800d2
Thanks given by:
Can't afford a Cortina but I'd have a mk3 if I could, Gene Hunt style GXL Wink
Thanks given by: