Possible swap...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible swap...
Right, gonna get crucified for this I reckon...

A mate of mine has a car. It's on 68k, has a full service history, is totally standard, has 100bhp and weighs about a ton, and handles like a go-kart. Should average mid 30's on juice, cheap insurance (for me), nice and simple, and having driven a few I know it'll be a laugh to drive as standard...

He can't insure it anymore, and can insure my DT for half as much, so he wants to swap even though I've admitted mine is worth half as much...

Problem is, it's a Saxo.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
booooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Sounds ok, right up until the last bit.

The problem is, when you own a Saxo, you end up with, well, erm... A Saxo.

Which I know I couldn't live with.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
That's the problem I'm having. I mean, I've had a 106, which is the same car, and that was awesome, but...

It's a Saxo.
Thanks given by:
i had a saxo, fair enough it was fun to throw around b roads at night, but i could never really enjoy it because at the back of my mind at all times was how fragile they are in any crash. watch the ncap stuff on youtube, saxos are epicly terrible in a 40mph impact
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(18-02-2013, 11:22 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: i had a saxo, fair enough it was fun to throw around b roads at night, but i could never really enjoy it because at the back of my mind at all times was how fragile they are in any crash. watch the ncap stuff on youtube, saxos are epicly terrible in a 40mph impact

To be honest, I'm not bothered about that, I love classics so anything I like will fold like paper in a crash. I fancy another 106 GTI or Rallye but Saxo's are half the price, and my mates is minty fresh, his 53 year old aunt gave him it and she's owned it from new....

Think I'll go sleep on it.
Thanks given by:
is it a vts?
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
If you like a car, go for it. Don't get hung up on it's reputation or stereotypes, life's too short. If I was like that I wouldn't have what I do with the shit I get.

Have a think, and if you want it, go for it.
Thanks given by:
Go for it mate is it a vtr? You can easily avoid stereotype of a saxo if you want it don't listen to anyone else, if I listened to other people I wouldn't of got my dt and here Iam 4 years on and I still love it.
Bye Bye D-Turbo
Phase 1 GTi-6 now has a new owner
Rolling in the: Phase 3 HDI Wagon

The current estate project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-22237.html
Thanks given by:
Guessing it is a vtr with 100bhp, I had one for a while and yeah they are pretty fun to throw about but there is the image!
What colour is it?
Seeing as the saxo is the same as a 106 bar a few panels why not give it a 106 conversion?
Its only the same as doing a ph1 to ph3 conversion on a 306.
[Image: A1A3B2B1-9269-463A-9F21-2ABF4CE9BEAC-165...A3B3F7.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yeah it's a 51 plate silver top VTR in silver, very nice condition. I just fancy something that's fun to drive straight out of the box, and this seems ideal for me. I've driven a fair few Saxos and I like the VTR, much easier to drive round town than a VTS/106 GTI...

Still a Saxo though.
Thanks given by:
Go for it I say

Play THIS as loud as you can while driving

You'll be having fun while driving, who cares what other people think?

I wish I could have a different car every few weeks like you!!
Thanks given by:
(18-02-2013, 11:20 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: That's the problem I'm having. I mean, I've had a 106, which is the same car, and that was awesome, but...

It's a Saxo.

Do the swap, buy a Pug badge and shove it on the bonnet, nobody'll be any the wiser Itwasntme
[Image: 306Green5DrSig.png]
Thanks given by:
VTS, yes. VTR, no. I'd quite like an early VTS TBH!
Team hand-painted-commercial Vehicle
Thanks given by:
Vts ftmfw! I want one so bad. I've got rude thoughts for one....

Id say go for the swap, from what I've read your not particularly happy with the Diablo anyway, have some fun in the Saxo over spring/summer and then you will buy another car in a couple of months Tongue
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
swap it - 106 it - be happy with it
[Image: signiture.jpg]
Midnightclub Wrote:All the cool kids have ph 2 Nile 6's!
Thanks given by:
I'd swap if the costs werent an issue, saxo's hold a soft spot in my heart when they have been done up nicley
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
(19-02-2013, 09:51 AM)kernow_joe Wrote: swap it - 106 it - drop a gti lump in it - be happy

EFA
[Image: A1A3B2B1-9269-463A-9F21-2ABF4CE9BEAC-165...A3B3F7.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(19-02-2013, 10:05 AM)Oil-burner Wrote:
(19-02-2013, 09:51 AM)kernow_joe Wrote: swap it - 106 it - drop a gti lump in it - be happy

EFA

yup thats better, my mate at works 106 gti is pretty quick, his is cammed and mapped to suit along with other stuff, sounds epic and drives nice too
[Image: signiture.jpg]
Midnightclub Wrote:All the cool kids have ph 2 Nile 6's!
Thanks given by:
To be honest, I'd keep the VTR engine. I've had a 106 GTi and driven loads of VTRs, and the VTR is pretty much as quick until about 50-60, half as much to insure, better on a cruise with higher gearing, better round town with more low down torque (90% of my driving is round town), and far better on juice...

I would love another 106 GTI though, I really regret selling the black one in my sig Sad
Thanks given by:
I'd say do it tbh. Personally I wouldn't but its up to you
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I loved my saxo, that much i havnt sold it or it could be because it wont sell.

[Image: 17800747257018610382484.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I think I'm gonna do it. I just fancy a nippy little petrol for the back roads that doesn't need any mods to be fun Smile
Thanks given by:
Go for it! Lifes too short!
Thanks given by:
I dunno, man. I imagine that whilst fun, it won't take you long to get used to using that 100bhp to its' full potential.

Also, a VTR is a lot like buying a 306 XSi, it's a bit of a half-measure. VTS / GTi or nothing...

I could understand it if there was a substantial insurance saving, tax saving or fuel saving - but there ain't! It's just a few horses short of a proper Tesco quarter pounder and I think you'll feel like you settled for second best after a while.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Have to agree with car here, think you would just want a VTS/GTi in no time at all, a VTR is only sort of DT stage 1 territory anyway.. where as GTi/VTS is more like a '6 in terms of speed
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Wait...a saxo VTR!?

Really Liam? Confused I mean when I was 17 and racing my mate out of the college carpark (1.4 306 vs VTR lol) then they seemed good.....but now...erm....no. Tongue But of course its your choice, why are you asking anyway? f*ck other peoples opinion lol. Smile
Thanks given by:
There is a big saving on insurance, on old 0-20 groups, a vtr is group 7 and. Vts is around the 13 mark iirc

I like them but cudnt drive one, to small, drove my brothers vtr when he had it, gd going thing for a saxo, but pedals are far to close for me
Thanks given by:
I think your missing the point here lads (except rickye). A VTR has enough power, plenty to have fun, I'm not bothered if a 16v is quicker. They really aren't much faster, I've had one remember. Plus, a 16v is 40 quid a month more to insure and far more expensive to buy...

Surprisingly, I don't have a problem with the pedals even with size 11 feet, great for heel and toeing!
Thanks given by:
I dunno mate, the difference between 8v and 16v is quite considerable, the VTS will blow a VTR into the weeds in most situations, unless you tune the VTR a lot.

The insurance isn't much different (for me anyway) since the VTR model, despite being several groups lower, has been tarnished with a reputation because most fall into the wrong hands and subsequently 'fall' into the surrounding scenery...

Fair play if you want a VTR, by all means they are a decent little steer. But they will only depreciate in value with age and just don't live up to the Saxo's only-model-worth-having VTS.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by: