PH3 Toys and Looks...XUD Engine :D...And Now TD04

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PH3 Toys and Looks...XUD Engine :D...And Now TD04
(18-03-2013, 09:33 PM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote: Going to give the bulkhead a few bashes before putting it back in as it was tight, didn't hit but likely will with engine force.

Sealed up? Was just going to screw it back in, I'm guessing there is something I've missed.

Tbh im not sure Might just be a screw back in job and it be ok or might need sealent not sure tbh, u will find out when it piss's oil every were lol

Thanks given by:
It's on!

This is what greeted me on Saturday morning when I went out to start,: (Excuse quality of a couple pics, seems I took them with WhatsApp)

[Image: c98ceAo.jpg]

I hate rain and usually stay inside til it stops if I need to to something on the car but this was urgent, had been off the road for too long.

[Image: Pi3It3x.jpg]

I'm guessing this is where it had gone, surprised it hadn't runaway tbh. So I set about dismantling it all while waiting for my mate to arrive. Thankfully none of the head studs sheared and it all came off reasonably ok.

[Image: pAFsFt3.jpg]

My mate helping get the old turbo off the manifold and remove the elbow. Without him I probably wouldn't have been able to do the job. Once it was all off it was time to clock the turbo, circlip pliers I bought decided to bend so left it soaking overnight and bought some better ones the next day. I used the gasket sheet CJ linked to in his thread along with some Holts Firegum. Was a bastard to cut though, the first 2 we made were a bit rough, last one I made was a lot easier and neater thanks to the snips I bought.

[Image: a1ZBxz0.jpg]
[Image: J3tvYJg.jpg]
[Image: qjiPnS5.jpg]

Mounted up and ready to have everything else bolted back on. One of the fiddliest bits was the oil line, really pissed me off because you don't have much space to work with and it has to be bent.

It's nice to be able to drive her again, haven't been able to since the turbo went at the end of January.

Went to get the tracking done this afternoon...too low to have it done as the laser thingies (technical term Tongue ) hook over the wheels so will raise it up tomorrow so I can get that done.
Thanks given by:
Oh beautiful, how does it drive?
Thanks given by:
(21-03-2013, 04:05 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: Oh beautiful, how does it drive?

Not really driven it properly yet, just pootled around making sure there aren't any problems first. Welded wastegate means I'm worried about blowing the engine too lol Will be controlling boost by fuel though.
Thanks given by:
Dont worry about welded gate on these blowers IMO your limited to fuel and as far as my 9mm pump is concerned can only hit 30max atm
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
This car was extremely quick with the old turbo on it so im very intrigued to see the results of this turbo.

Anyone who ever drove this car was surprised it was a std turbo!
Thanks given by:
I wana see what this gose like to im hitting 20psi max at min but turned pump down dosent seem fast tbh felt alot faster on k14 but just hopeing once I get some more fuel added it will wake its self up abit

Thanks given by:
You need plenty of fuel to wake these turbo's up really.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
(21-03-2013, 09:15 PM)Ricky Wrote: You need plenty of fuel to wake these turbo's up really.

But I dont wana go silly with the psi, looking to run 25psi, but when I first put the turbo on went for a drive I was hitting 15psi turned the max fuel screw up half a turn went for a spin hit 20psi so from half a turn I got 5psi difference so another half a turn and im at my limit of psi? Or will it take more than half a turn to raise it another 5psi?

Thanks given by:
Think it really shows the downside of not having a wastegate. unless you're going to run high boost you're not going to get the full advantage of a bigger turbo.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
I look at it like this, bigger turbo means a higher a CFM than a smaller turbo at the same pressure. Unless I'm completely wrong lol
Thanks given by:
yeah you shouldnt need to hit massive psi to see big gains...

you will need to adjust the lda pin spring along with fuel max settings and perhaps some advance on the pump...

get some fuel...find a quiet road...and get fiddling
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I really need to read up a bit more on LDA and the pumps in general. I only ever played with the max fuel and idles on the old car. This already has a gov mod so that's a good start.
Thanks given by:
This is the problem of not having a wastegate, that 25psi you're making with the amount.of fuel you're putting in atm would probably actually still burn clean at 14psi or so... When you get to 30+ psi it requires so much energy to spin it that fast that the amount of fuel you need to make it produce more pressure increases at an exponential rate...

So youre getting things hot, creating lots of exhaust pressure for no real reason... This is why ive always said you should keep the wastegate wherever possible...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
I forgot to mention;

Before I started it my dad mentioned that I should check the oil first. Glad he dad as I assumed there was some in there...there...sort of. Put the dipstick back in, pulled it out, looked at and no new oil on there, strange.

So I set about a quick oil change. 45 minutes later the oil had finished draining. It was really thick and I'd liken the consistency to somewhere inbetween Heinz Tomato Soup and treacle or not how oil should be Nospeak

Not sure why it's gone like that other than because the seals were going in the turbo, it mixed with exhaust gases maybe but hotside on the old one isn't really oily compared to the cold side.
Thanks given by:
Hows the car going?? hit any big psi yet?

Thanks given by:
(24-03-2013, 02:04 PM)Chris_90 Wrote: Hows the car going?? hit any big psi yet?

Seems to be going ok so far other than the braided line rubbing on the heatshield above the rack, sounds like a Micra with a loose exhaust shield sometimes lol Pipe needs to be bent a bit more but I really don't don't to be bothering with taking it off atm.

On Saturday I tried boosting it properly but as it was wet all that happened was I hit 25psi and span the wheels at 40mph. Did it again last night when it was dry and it's quite the novelty, at least to me, to see it hit 5.5k. No idea what pressure, was trying to concentrate on where I was going.
Thanks given by:
(26-03-2013, 11:33 AM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote:
(24-03-2013, 02:04 PM)Chris_90 Wrote: Hows the car going?? hit any big psi yet?

Seems to be going ok so far other than the braided line rubbing on the heatshield above the rack, sounds like a Micra with a loose exhaust shield sometimes lol Pipe needs to be bent a bit more but I really don't don't to be bothering with taking it off atm.

On Saturday I tried boosting it properly but as it was wet all that happened was I hit 25psi and span the wheels at 40mph. Did it again last night when it was dry and it's quite the novelty, at least to me, to see it hit 5.5k. No idea what pressure, was trying to concentrate on where I was going.

Sounds good, need to get my pump gov modded asap lol and some more fuel. Get some vids up of 30-70mph times wana see the acceleration lol

Thanks given by:
Changed the headlights over yesterday as the wiring has been played about with and looked a little hazardous. Ones was also getting loads of condensation in it. Surprise surprise some of the bolts were rusty and sheared but got that sorted. Now I have a spare pair of lights considering getting them black masked, the good ones, which means changing them over again...didn't about it until halfway through the change lol

Went to the graffiti tunnel last week so will have some fresh pics up very soon, just need to finish editing them with Fi.
Thanks given by:
Any new pics of this cheez?
Thanks given by:
Yes!

Went to the graffiti tunnel about 10 days ago, finally got round to editing the photos yesterday so once I've resized them I'll post them up.
Thanks given by:
Still curious!
Thanks given by:
TD04 still alive?
Thanks given by:
Still need to resize them :oops:

Td04 is still alive and boosting well. Need to sort out some piping for it as I'm running unfiltered atm, problem is the colour of boost hose I want has a 3 week wait Undecided

Changed the BSI on Monday so now have working RCL again and did a service on it today, 1100 miles since the turbo change and when I last did the oil. Came out like oil should this time, not treacle, yay! Thermostat was done too so now doesn't sit at 65c when warmed up.

My list of tasks is slowly getting done. Next is the heater fan and why it doesn't do as it's told Angry
Thanks given by:
Any resizing gone on yet? Smile
Thanks given by:
Resizing the pics finally Big Grin However, after being edited then resized to 45% original size, so they are a little more forum friendly, they are still coming out at 3mb+ each.
Thanks given by:
While I try to sort out some smaller file sizes, I'll throw up the one of my mascot.

[Image: QdkuPvd.jpg]
Thanks given by:
As if you left it on! Legend.
Thanks given by:
Delivery Big Grin

[Image: qqMkfCa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(23-03-2013, 10:42 AM)Ruan Wrote: This is the problem of not having a wastegate, that 25psi you're making with the amount.of fuel you're putting in atm would probably actually still burn clean at 14psi or so... When you get to 30+ psi it requires so much energy to spin it that fast that the amount of fuel you need to make it produce more pressure increases at an exponential rate...

So youre getting things hot, creating lots of exhaust pressure for no real reason... This is why ive always said you should keep the wastegate wherever possible...

I agree wit Ruan, really wishing I hadn't welded the gate as I found when mine was at 20psi it felt less powerful than the T2 at 26psi. It's only when you really wind in the fuel that they make bigger power.
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Tongue Diablo PH1 TD04 XUD 176bhp chronic engine Faliure Danny2009 85 24,711 24-10-2012, 02:06 PM
Last Post: Danny2009