C5 aluminium steel lookalikes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
C5 aluminium steel lookalikes
Done some searching to find a post on a another site which shows 15" wheels from a C5 which look like steels but are aluminium??

What I am really curious about is that they weigh 4.7kg each bare...

But I can't find them on the bay.......anyone know what models etc they were fitted to or were all the non 'alloys' like this?? Huh

clicky
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Ask Scott
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
scott?!

and why?!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Because he has some...

"Alloyies" are indeed light, but rare and therefore you pay a premium
Thanks given by:
is his username scott??

I am digging round on scrappies online now hoping to strike lucky

were they fitted to certain years anyone know?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Yes... ginger bloke, drives an Astor Gti-6*, runs the forum?!

*shares with Ed
Thanks given by:
ah...righto!

thanks

reppd for the help

are all citroen C5 15" 'steel' wheels the light alloyies???
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Yeah they're the ones, there are two different types though. You want the later ones which were stamped with ps815011. If I remember correctly they're £40-something brand new from the dealer.

[Image: IMAG0552.jpg]

They're unbelievably light though, as you say only 4.7KG a wheel which is lighter than a lot of aftermarket alloys. Only downside to them is that you'd struggle (read, can't) fit bigger brakes under them.
Thanks given by:
were the early ones not the lighter type then??
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
The early ones were lighter but I believe there were some problems with them cracking, or something along those lines.
Thanks given by:
yeah thats how I stumbles across them...there was a recall I believe

Ps ta for info
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
No problem Smile They're well worth it though, you'll save 16kg of un-sprung weight over most wheels (even aftermarket ones!).
Thanks given by:
yeah too right...amazing
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(11-02-2013, 10:44 PM)Scott Wrote: No problem Smile They're well worth it though, you'll save 16kg of un-sprung weight over most wheels (even aftermarket ones!).

16kgs scott? Wow thats like a whole half a bag of cement lmao Tongue

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
its huge amount...they are 4.7kg each bare...cyclones are 9kg each...4.3kg per corner of unsprung weight is huge...not many 15" alloys that arent mag's for that weight...

Found some too...set of 5 with 185/60 tyres...going to get them now...should nab them for 50quid...sell the tyres...job done!!!
excellent
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Are they only 5.5j then if they've got 185 tyres on them? Incredibly light though, and £40 something from a dealer doesnt seem too bad for brand new wheels.

What ET are they, do they require spacers?
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(12-02-2013, 01:28 PM)puglove Wrote:
(11-02-2013, 10:44 PM)Scott Wrote: No problem Smile They're well worth it though, you'll save 16kg of un-sprung weight over most wheels (even aftermarket ones!).

16kgs scott? Wow thats like a whole half a bag of cement lmao Tongue

That's a massive difference in terms of braking, acceleration and suspension performance. It's both unsprung and rotational weight.
Thanks given by:
From what ive found out the alloy/steelies that came on citroen c5 are no longer available from dealers, if you try to get some using the part number they just give a steel replacement. Guess citroen worked out they were to expencive to produce and i think early ones were prone to crack near the bolt holes.
Thanks given by:

You really aren't helping yourself in saying this and trying to disprove that you and ed are morphing into one and the same
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(12-02-2013, 02:47 PM)Ben Wrote: Are they only 5.5j then if they've got 185 tyres on them? Incredibly light though, and £40 something from a dealer doesnt seem too bad for brand new wheels.

What ET are they, do they require spacers?

got that so wrong...they are 205/65/15s...

Just dropped them off at tyre shop to strip off the buggy tyres!!!

Well happy...the 5 tyres are all good enough to flog on ebay, 5mm tread on 2, 3mm tread on 3...
so I may even break even as I paid 60 quid and it cost me 4quid in veg oil!
and they are almost mint too...guy just assumed they were bog standard steels...i tried to haggle but he kept going on about how good the tyres were...little did he know!

will check on the width once get them back tomorrow...

also to note, I got the newer ones, not the ones which caused the recall due to cracking!!

they are so light, even with the massive tyre, its unreal

I am going to ask another dumb question...prepare yourself...oh wait, you know it will be dumb...

anyhow

These are alloyies...but have a tapered bolt hole, so would standard steel wheel bolts be ok, or should I be looking at ones for alloys?!

thinking of some superlight ones anyway...but just curious
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
They must be wider than that I would have thought or that's massively over sized. If they have tapered bolt holes, you need tapered bolts...
Thanks given by:
yeah think they are 7j...

yeah I know I need tapered bolts...but you can get steel ones and alloy ones...

(12-02-2013, 02:47 PM)Ben Wrote: What ET are they, do they require spacers?

dont think so, they are ET 18 so should be straight fit
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
You don't think they're made of alloy though do you?
Thanks given by:
You need special bolts with a tapered seated washer, stop the bolts chewing thru the ally
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
As Sam said, they require bolts which have a seated washer.
Thanks given by:
Yep, its true, I'm a motherfucking genius
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
woh...rep for that...

I didnt even know they did tapered wheel bolts with washers...
guess its genuine only?!

(12-02-2013, 06:48 PM)Curt Wrote: You don't think they're made of alloy though do you?

dont think 'what' are made of alloy?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
He means you don't think the bolts are made of Alloy...

Do you?

They're a great modification for fast road IMO, the increase in sharpness and response is brilliant, on track you just fry brakes under them as they've got little to no ventilation for brakes...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
well not aiming for a track machine...but perhaps brake cooling vents from the front if I do!!

no, I meant are there alloy specific ones for those wheels and I wonder if there are some mag' or tit' ones to drop a few more grms

PS or have super high temp brake pads...keep em up to temp! lol!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I wouldn't bother trying to save weight on wheel bolts unless you've removed the major things like back seats first Smile
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aluminium lower engine/gearbox mount bilboaustin 13 3,738 05-11-2016, 04:31 PM
Last Post: welshpug