Clonking, front end turning right...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clonking, front end turning right...
Jacked the front right up on the scissor jack at lunchtime and got under the car (I know, stupid, etc.) but couldn't recreate the noise.

So started the engine and gave the driveshaft a good wiggle, which still didn't recreate the noise (cos it's in neutral, duh!)

So I asked someone to put it into gear for me, which made the car slide off its' jack and re-model my face, I now write to you from A&E.

Nawwww just kidding.

There's abit of movement in the driveshaft, about 3-5mm back and forth. Obviously there would be a bit of movement with the car jacked up, but for the avoidance of doubt and £47 later I'm going to replace it to see if that solves my issues. Gearbox oil purchased also...

So how much of a fun job is this? Is the replacement driveshaft likely to have the ABS ring on it (it gave information on it when I purchased it from CarParts4Less).

Basically are there any items I can buy in advance to replace whilst doing this job?

TRE's both have a little bit of play in them too, but that can wait - my front tyres are low also, so I'll do TRE's, front tyres and get the tracking sorted next month!
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Are you on about the Driver's side?

If so, it can be a PITA if you've not done it before. The intermediate bearing can be pretty well stuck.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Well that didn't go according to plan!

It wasn't the sodding drivers side but the near side instead!

Nobody held that shaft in stock sadly, so I'll have to wait until next weekend.

Whilst I'm at it ill replace the track rod ends as both bad play in them. One thing after another!
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
Thanks given by:
Is there anything else I should replace when I do the near-side driveshaft this weekend coming?

Haynes says this-

"Slacken and remove the three nuts
securing the balljoint to the lower suspension
arm, then withdraw the bolts and free the
balljoint from the arm. Discard the nuts - new
ones must be used on refitting."

Where can I get these nuts?
Thanks given by:
(04-02-2013, 11:55 AM)C.A.R. Wrote: Is there anything else I should replace when I do the near-side driveshaft this weekend coming?

Haynes says this-

"Slacken and remove the three nuts
securing the balljoint to the lower suspension
arm, then withdraw the bolts and free the
balljoint from the arm. Discard the nuts - new
ones must be used on refitting."

Where can I get these nuts?

I never undo those unless I'm replacing the ball joint. I remove the ball joint from the hub and leave it on the wishbone.
If you are replacing the ball joint though the nuts and bolts usually come with the new one.
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
This recommends removing the ball joint assembly from the wishbone! It does seem a bit backward, but I'm guessing it's because if you undo the ball joint it should then be replaced? Whereas doing it this way means you can just bolt it back on the wishbone?

Found the spec on the nuts anyway, £1.12 each from Pug
Thanks given by:
Least they're not too much then. Both drive shafts on my car move in and out a bit as well so I doubt its anything to worry about.
Thanks given by:
You need to hear it dude!

Sounds like I'm driving over a cattle grid every time I turn the wheel! Something's fooked.

Looking forward to getting it all back together so I can drive it in anger again now Sad
Thanks given by:
I've got a very similar problem at the moment so I know how annoying it is! I just don't think its drive shaft related because the noise is only passenger side and the drive shafts move about the same amount both sides.
Thanks given by:
Well I managed to return the drivers' side driveshaft and will fit the passenger one this weekend. The only reason I'm thinking it can't be suspension is because it will only knock/tap when I'm in gear.

All-go this Saturday, after I pick some little bits up from Norton Way Peugeot in Letchworth...
Thanks given by:
Should've come to see me, I have all the gear and spare shafts too.

Helps that I have a clue too! At home all weekend and next week if you need help.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Bugger! Only just saw your message.

Sorted this yesterday, took 3 hours in the end to do the driveshaft and both TREs, mainly because the previous owner had f*cked the heads up on the bolts in the wishbone (that hold the ball joint on) and Peugeot in their wisdom made these torx-head bolts! Genius!

Hope never to have to do that again!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rear Beam and Brake squeeking while turning? JTaylor2005 5 1,621 20-10-2016, 03:37 PM
Last Post: JTaylor2005
  Clonking sound from rear of the car.. HubbzPug 2 1,129 04-08-2014, 09:49 AM
Last Post: HubbzPug
  Reversed over a kerb, groaning noise turning right rtha6551 3 1,399 22-08-2013, 10:41 AM
Last Post: LJ_D