The Nanstone - 2.0 16v CR - GTB2056VLK build

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Nanstone - 2.0 16v CR - GTB2056VLK build
(19-11-2014, 12:26 PM)Ruan Wrote: Yus it is.

Going that morning.

It needs a pair of driveshaft seals, think that's about it - if someone wants to come and sit with me whilst I swear at various suspension components trying to get them apart, they're more than welcome.

so very tempting for a comedy show tbh. lol
Thanks given by:
It'd be even better if ruan could swear the components apart, nice to see this starting to move again
Thanks given by:
(19-11-2014, 12:26 PM)Ruan Wrote: It needs a pair of driveshaft seals, think that's about it - if someone wants to come and sit with me whilst I swear at various suspension components trying to get them apart, they're more than welcome.

Much as I'd love to come and help I had enough fun swearing at the Rallye's suspension bits that hadn't moved in 18 months. Alot of fire and hammer were required.
Thanks given by:
Suspension, seizing and hammers...
Surely thats begging for dumdum techincal expert assitance?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Nah, it'll be OK, I've had it all apart before, kinda within the last 2 years, with various nuts/bolts replaced, so shouldn't be bad at all!

The engine was changed not massively long ago really - so everything had to be apart then!

Doesn't matter what you do, the balljoints will be a twat, but it's always you pinching the crap out of them, rather than them being siezed!!!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Yeah ball joint torque = FT
Thanks given by:
(19-11-2014, 09:07 PM)Ruan Wrote: Nah, it'll be OK, I've had it all apart before, kinda within the last 2 years, with various nuts/bolts replaced, so shouldn't be bad at all!

The engine was changed not massively long ago really - so everything had to be apart then!

Doesn't matter what you do, the balljoints will be a twat, but it's always you pinching the crap out of them, rather than them being siezed!!!

Ill never understand how you manage to Ruan fail with 306 balljoints so bad Tongue 306's are like the easiest cars to get balljoints out of in the world!

Be good to have a bus back on the road, the mafia has been lacking a bit recently in the world of french derv!!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Yeah defo.
Try a freaking ford focus or fiesta ball joint and you will fall in love with 306 bjs spit spot!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Oh you guys have clearly never been underneath a mk2 focus, replace 2 wishbones in about 15 mins lol
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
So as some may now know, I've got myself a cylinder head for the new engine project which will start being put together soon enough.

The head will require a bit of work to get it back to the correct state sadly, but I've had all the valves out, cleaned those up with a wire wheel in a die grinder and cleaned out the inlet ports - absolute nightmare to get all the EGR crud out, the worst of it is now out, but the entire head could do with a dip in something to get the last of the cruddyness out the casting, it's clean enough, but not where I'd ilke it to be.

I'm waiting on a few parts that need installing, but undecided whether I fit them before or after skimming and cleaning the head...

Anyway, we all like pictures - the 16v heads seem to have issues with their cam bearings, but thankfully as you'll see, the cam bearings are in near perfect condition. It'll take a bit of work I think to make sure the injector bores are nice and clean, just very difficult to get anything down them! Same goes for the inlet ports, lots of odd shapes and castings to generate swirl, but that's life.

There's pictures at various points throughout the process of my initial cleaning and disassmebly:

[Image: jhi0lBV.jpg]

Can see the EGR shite here on the swirl flaps (they're being removed as always):
[Image: PAfvup4.jpg]

[Image: BwNsYKF.jpg]

[Image: GuMsGKI.jpg]

[Image: JaBif83.jpg]

[Image: Qo0MlZc.jpg]

Some of the unfortunate damage that happened during disassembly before me picking it up, easy enough to sort, will just require a quick tickle back and maybe a skim of monkey metal and then make sure it's flat all round, I'll get on it with the DTI as it's just sealant used, rather than any gasket
[Image: kBeY3aE.jpg]

[Image: i8WsdLA.jpg]

[Image: HGcHhAb.jpg]

[Image: 2DWTj8Q.jpg]

[Image: pHRFXyr.jpg]

Anyone who has worked on a 16v head will know that they're actually a nightmare to get the valve spring compressor in, due to the inlet ports running down the centre of the cylinder head, so space is very tight, so there were some modifications to the valve spring compressor to get it to fit in correctly, I didn't just chop the end off and weld some bar on, ended up doing it properly and making it unboltable even - it can be returned to stock at any time, get me! Don't get me wrong, I was very tempted to just chop the end off though!
[Image: DmuDJkT.jpg]

[Image: qwXPxER.jpg]

Tickled the backs of the valves with a die grinder with a reasonably light wire wheel, just to get the carbon off.
[Image: 1SQKJVB.jpg]

Back together again and at least clean enough to hump round without fear of shit getting everywhere!
[Image: YBUVp8S.jpg]

[Image: Qzo4KtO.jpg]

Pretty boring, but it's shitty work that had to be done. My new years resolution is to document better what I do - so here goes, hah!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
Good lad! Come end of february I will have some time spare to come kick your ass into gear Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Good work buddy. Glad the bearings are in good shape.
Thanks given by:
Can anyone else see those images? Coz I can't, glad you're back on the wagon though mate Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Images are working for me. Smile

Looks good tbh, nice to see something different being done!
Thanks given by:
Good to see progress on this ruan. Any luck with getting the car mot'd yet?
Thanks given by:
Not yet sadly, but offers have fallen through!

It's looking like I'll actually wait until the engine is in now as it was possible it was going to Europe, but now it's looking unlikely, so have more time to get things right first before all that!
Thanks given by:
(12-01-2015, 10:50 PM)Ruan Wrote: My new years resolution is to document better what I do - so here goes, hah!

Be great to see regular updates and progress on this matey, now the ball is rolling a bit more Smile
Thanks given by:
About time you got on with this, good to see some progress! Wink
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
nice to see Tongue
Thanks given by:
Should i be keeping an eye out for the Volvo in Cornwall?! Looks like this is going to be a great project Big Grin
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
So it's over 6 months since this was posted on and it's been mentioned elsewhere. How you getting on?
Thanks given by:
As said in the other thread - time and money is a big factor here, I could do a half arsed job, but I know exactly what the outcome will be, a half arsed car which will break and not perform like I want it to.

I will get to doing it, but it's definitely a case of hoarding parts and building up finances as and when I can to build the car I want. Maybe a bit of champagne lifestyle, lemonade budget - but I'd rather do it properly.

The specs change every day and I've lots of ideas about which bits will work and which won't - the latest plans are for a CP3S3 R85 pump, possibly different cylinder head etc - again, I don't want to build something up then realise I'm short on fuel flow and have to strip down a lot of parts and waste money, there's no bigger CP1S3 pump than an R70, R75s are rare and building a bigger pump from other parts is silly money to get right, when CP3S3 R85s are cheap and readily available, just require other parts to make them work. Clutches are another big issue, I don't want to build something that's just horrific to drive with a heavy, sharp clutch that wears fast that is no good for actually driving around. Gearboxes - do I go stock with a BE, or do I swap to an ML, or maybe make an MMT6 work, they've better ratios and good clutch options. Conrods - we all know that the stock ones probably aren't up to the task, but that's quite a lot of money just to twat in one go. Pistons. Valvetrain. Exhaust Manifolds. etc etc etc - so many areas I want to "improve" or change etc.

I'm not in a rush atm and I'd rather leave it like that, what I may do is find a place for it to stay so I can properly strip it down, clean it all up, patch any rusty bits, refresh any worn components.
Thanks given by:
You need to get back to lobbland
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
[Image: 0B784322-2744-4DAA-A692-503618005317_zps1zf33ina.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yes finally!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Eugh such a tidy example
Thanks given by:
Does this mean you've finally decided what to build?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
YES RU!!!
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
We'll see.

I've decided to at least get it moving around again - long term project ahoy... But essentially I want something else I can drive about in and keep a few miles off the V50.

Stock'ish 8v HDi going in for now, it's likely to be a bit of a "see what I can be arsed with on the day" job - I might be tempted to drop 16v head on top, but requires me sourcing quite a few more parts which I don't currently have.
Thanks given by:
(30-03-2017, 10:51 AM)Ruan Wrote: We'll see.

I've decided to at least get it moving around again - long term project ahoy... But essentially I want something else I can drive about in and keep a few miles off the V50.

Stock'ish 8v HDi going in for now, it's likely to be a bit of a "see what I can be arsed with on the day" job - I might be tempted to drop 16v head on top, but requires me sourcing quite a few more parts which I don't currently have.

Nice to see it moved Smile  You know what i said you can have a complete 16v for if you want to go down that route Wink
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by: