I may have the answer to our stage 2 clutch woes.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I may have the answer to our stage 2 clutch woes.
Bigger turbo, longer spool time, produces less lower down torque.. More clutch friendly :p
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Limit the torque down low, put the power down higher in the RPMs...

Bonus?

Though everyone seems dead against this...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
But the torque spike at the boost threshold will be greater with a bigger turbo, won't it? And you can only go so far up the range before it becomes difficult to stay in the power band thanks to the HDi's long gearing, that has always been my reasoning.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Is this a company based in Bradford by any chance??

I was so close to ordering a cg paddle but it worked out around the same as the Sachs paddle plate... that coupled with the poor customer service nd patronizing emails a while back when a lad had problems with the clutch on his HDI and helix wanting £500 for a full paddle to hold 300lbs+ along with the heaviness I didn't leave myself much choice

Saying that, the Sachs still hasn't arrived, they told me 10 days, I rung on day 11 to be told its still been manufactured in Germany.

Be interesting to know the prices and torque ratings.

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
Right sorry ive not got back to you on this, not too happy with this tbh, ive been expecting a phonecall for 2 weeks now.
Ive called them 3 times now but im still waiting for the illusive "dan" to get back to me about it.
The bloke I spoke to when I first enquired was more than helpful and seemed eager to help but after that they dont wanna know.
If he does get back to me ill let you know how it goes.

Oh and no mate they are in bristol iirc
[Image: A1A3B2B1-9269-463A-9F21-2ABF4CE9BEAC-165...A3B3F7.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Boggo Sachs sprung paddle with a boogo Valeo pressure plate held my 285lbft fine, and I was really giving that some grief.

It lasted 40k/4yrs too by the looks of it.

Even a NEW LuK clutch kit will take 275lbft if you have a bit more turbo lag (full standard system with back box) for a year, with only slight slipping.

You really don't need anything crazy.

I'm pretty sure that £180 Sachs Berlingo kit is the answer to all your prayers too. If it's the one people have bought (they never seem to be able to say for deffo), then it'll hold 275-285lbft ok for years too.

I didn't think the clutch selections we had now were a big issue, I thought the main issue was cost.

I don't get why Helix now have uprated pressure plates AND paddles, since I've put over 300lbft through mine on a Valeo pressure plate and it was still feeling like it was biting VERY hard on engagement. They are stupidly expensive too.

There are two issues. Friction coefficient (materials), pressure (pressure plate)...

In my experience just adding friction (cerametallic paddle) is all you need to do. The Sachs one will give 275lbft+ for years of hard use and abuse, not that juddery all said and done, and £200.

Dave
Thanks given by:
I was wanting to try the berlingo clutch but its hard to find a Definitive answer.
I was looking at the uprated helix pressure plate (£210) and using a boggo friction plate but again dont know if it'll work.
Thanks given by:
I have a berlingo plate for sale...

Got to admit the berlingo kit itself does look and feel like good quality, the cover is definately heavier, the plate doesnt look like anything special but still i have a valeo clutch in my boot and as a kit it feels looks much better imo. Mines getting fitted as i type so il let you know how heavy it feeels on the pedal

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
Where did you get it from? Csn you post s link or something.
What hsve you done then berlingo cover and valeo plate?
Thanks given by:
I am now running a full stage 2 remap I ended up buying a cg 5 paddle Motorsport clutch for 275 pound + postage and I got to says its awesome its really light holds the full power and I was quite worred because people was telling me that paddle clutch are on\off but it's really not that bad I can pull away fine there is a little bit of a snatch but I've only noticed it on a very steep hill but still can pull away fine I really recommend it!!
Thanks given by:
You have to ring online automotive mate. Part numbers are on quite a few threads. Ive gone for thats sachs race paddle plate and used sachs berlingo cover and release bearing

This paddle is super light, but its got a funky biting point, really snatchy... It seems to holding the torque already, first couple of miles it slipped something silly tho

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
How much it cost you all in?
Thanks given by:
Check my project mate I shove most of my updates in there... not the cheapest but seems to be workibg

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HDI starting woes.... cully 5 1,745 15-04-2018, 08:53 AM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Oil brether woes dr_jekyll 8 2,848 01-02-2017, 04:57 PM
Last Post: dr_jekyll
  Best clutch for stage 2 L16rye 4 2,313 15-11-2016, 06:36 PM
Last Post: Poodle