Noisy Engine After Cambelt Change

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Noisy Engine After Cambelt Change
Fired up the HDi today after completing some work finally, new cambelt, tensioners, SKF kit
Waterpump, FAL brand

Other work is unrelated to the noise, clutch FMIC etc...

There is a bit of a high pitched squeak that comes and goes under revs? Coming from cambelt end so had me a bit worried, but engine seems to run fine.
Had a small waterleak but have fixed that, otherwise the cambelt change was ok, had the engine out to do it so made that part easy.

Quick opinion is it is either too tight, possible it's the first one I've ever done, but tensioned it to be as close as possible to the one that came off. 
Or, waterpump bearing? Although new could be crap?
Another tensioner?
Belt rubbing on housing? Don't think it is this. 

Video:
https://youtu.be/xhXRDYDKZM4

If it is the belt too tight, it is brand new, will it stretch/bed in slightly to get over this noise? Or best to do it all again? 
Thanks given by:
Sounds more like a rough bearing than a tight belt to me tbh.
Thanks given by:
Belt is most likely to tight....Slacken the belt a tad and try again, they dont need to be all that tight like that (within reason obviously)...

Make a video showing trying to twist the belt in your fingers...
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Belt is defo too tight, these are really easy to over tension! Peugeot even developed a special belt deflection tool for them they are so senstive. Your one sounds way too tight
Thanks given by:
ahhhhhhhhh nuts Sad

Will try and get the covers off tomorrow and get a vid of it.
Any long term damage if I put a few miles on it like this? sub 25, or is that a definite no no?

Is there a quick way to get back to the tensioner? Or is it starter off, engine pinned, aux belt off, crank pulley off, all covers off again?
Thanks given by:
Shouldnt have damaged anything, if your careful you should be able to just remove cover, hold tensioner with square, loosennut, slightly loosen the belt and re torque...

If you have any doubt something moved, then put bolt back in cam / allen in crank. No need to remove the starter, just push allen in in from underneath, its quite easy Smile
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Just top cover? It's late, can't think! I'll get on it tomorrow
Thanks given by:
As others have said, belt is too tight. A general rule of thumb is you can twist the belt 90 degrees on its longest run but this is obviously not a 100% accurate way of doing it. They really dont have to be hugely tight.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Looks like I'm wrong then. lol There is a bearing noise there though, or is that being caused by the belt tension?
Thanks given by:
(16-01-2016, 09:35 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Looks like I'm wrong then. lol  There is a bearing noise there though, or is that being caused by the belt tension?

Almost guaranteed being caused by belt tension.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(15-01-2016, 10:29 PM)tigerstyle Wrote: ahhhhhhhhh nuts Sad

Will try and get the covers off tomorrow and get a vid of it.
Any long term damage if  I put a few miles on it like this? sub 25, or is that a definite no no?

Is there a quick way to get back to the tensioner? Or is it starter off, engine pinned, aux belt off, crank pulley off, all covers off again?

school boy error.....

Ive done the same when i rebuilt my GTI6
basicly had to re do the cambelt from the refit/tension stage Wink

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
FIXED!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Icqm20SGRdg

Cheers guys, top cover off, slipped a wrench in and got the tensioner to loosen a 12th of a turn, so the locking key went from being aligned at 5 o'clock to 6 o'clock.
Did the twist test, and couldn't quite get it to 90° before, can do it now with a little bit of ease.
Not too hard to squeeze in with the covers off, and nothing else needed disturbing.

Just a water leak to fix and project is done for now!
It's from the new rear water housing I bought, bolts are all tight, but it leaks, think the o-ring must be naff, or it needed a layer of instant gasket to go with it.
[Image: fzpVdfZ.jpg?1]
Thanks given by: PaulRoper
Thanks for the Videos.. My 1.8 XU78v has same Noise.. EggZaccachry..
Thanks given by:
(15-01-2016, 09:30 PM)tigerstyle Wrote: Fired up the HDi today after completing some work finally, new cambelt, tensioners, SKF kit
Waterpump, FAL brand

Other work is unrelated to the noise, clutch FMIC etc...

There is a bit of a high pitched squeak that comes and goes under revs? Coming from cambelt end so had me a bit worried, but engine seems to run fine.
Had a small waterleak but have fixed that, otherwise the cambelt change was ok, had the engine out to do it so made that part easy.

Quick opinion is it is either too tight, possible it's the first one I've ever done, but tensioned it to be as close as possible to the one that came off. 
Or, waterpump bearing? Although new could be crap?
Another tensioner?
Belt rubbing on housing? Don't think it is this. 

Video:
https://youtu.be/xhXRDYDKZM4

If it is the belt too tight, it is brand new, will it stretch/bed in slightly to get over this noise? Or best to do it all again? 

Nah.. its a supercharger!
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So today I went to change an engine mount... jordanhdi 8 3,428 11-05-2016, 10:35 AM
Last Post: Mattcheese31
Rainbow Noisy Diesel? Hdi and proud of it 5 2,041 10-03-2015, 05:23 PM
Last Post: Hdi and proud of it
  Hdi Engine change my-first-306 11 4,132 11-12-2014, 06:22 PM
Last Post: my-first-306