Removing driver's lock

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Removing driver's lock
Just wondering how hard it is to remove the drivers side lock? 
My fob is playing up and i'm having to use the key but the driver's side is seized. Sprayed plenty of wd40 and grease over the past few months but to no avail Sad

Thinking of removing it and letting it soak in something, as it's getting annoying having to walk to the passenger side everytime i need to get in/lock the car!

Thanks Smile
Thanks given by:
Open door, find small black rubber cap on edge of door that lines up with door lock. Sticking screw in and thread into metal C shape plate, pull with pliers and barrel should just pop out. Then when you're ready to replace, pop back in and just press the plate back in. Done.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by: Iceman299
wD40 not a good for locks, you need graphite if it wont turn.

Get yourself to ikea, grind it up, stick it in along with the key and wiggle it around a bit! What do you have to lose?
Thanks given by: Iceman299
Awesome, thanks Niall Big Grin

Never heard of graphite until now. I'll pop into a shop tomorrow and get some.

If that doesn't work initially, what would be best to leave the lock soaking in for a day or two?
Thanks given by:
cpikey316_  you are a genius! 
I looked into the graphite a bit more and just used an old pencil minus the wood. Jabbed the key in and out, nothing. Got a tad frustrated and put some (by some, i mean a lot!) wd40 in even though i know you shouldn't lol jabbed the key in and out for 5 seconds and we have a working lock Big Grin
Thanks given by:
I am a genius! The ikea bit in my post was referencing a pencil btw!

Id suggest some compressed air type stuff to get the wd40 out, then maybe some more graphite.

Just rub a pencil onto your key every now and again, works wonders! Think about it, you wouldn't skimp on lubrication for the engine would you!
Thanks given by:
(19-07-2015, 04:24 PM)cpikey316_ Wrote: Think about it, you wouldn't skimp on lubrication for the engine would you!

I normally don't keep a car long enough to worry about mot's/service lol

And yeah i must admit, i mayyyy have googled to see if sell ikea graphite  Itwasntme

Was going to get some from maplins for £3 but just ended up using a pencil lol
Thanks given by:
My bro is a lock smith/ shop front fitter and gave my sticky locks a wee squirt of Ambersil graphite lock lube and I never had a problem with them again! Worth a buy at £5 or there about available from most locksmith suppliers!
EBay item number is 171094180516
2 cans for a fiver!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Removing Driver seat Moh 6 1,494 13-01-2014, 09:12 PM
Last Post: Moh
  Removing and swapping a door lock Matt 12 4,600 17-05-2012, 12:20 PM
Last Post: mark_airey