gti6 high rpm flat spot

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gti6 high rpm flat spot
Hi guys! I've not long had my gti6 and couldn't help notice it feels sluggish at higher RPM. I'm not sure when but around 6-6.5k it feels like the power dies down... Is this normal for the 2.0 or a common problem that can be solved? I've also noticed the tachometer is ridiculously slow. Anything that can be done to improve the responsiveness of that?

Cheers in advance Smile.

Adam.
Thanks given by:
Get the cam timing checked
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
Right I welded my exhausy last night to cancel out it being anything to do with that. I also checked the breather and cleaned it out as there was oil coming from the filler cap to suggest it's breathing heavy. Tried leaving it open and took for a drive but still the same. I haven't checked the timing yet as I ran out of time. But I'm fairly sure it isn't the timing as it runs alright for the rest of the Rev range. It is a little lumpy though on idle... It's a bit tappy too from a recent head rebuild. I'm wondering if all the clearances are out, some too tight and some too loose. Causing the tap and flat spot maybe?

Has anyone done the clearances on this engine? I presume its a bucket and over bucket shim design? Anyone know what the tolerances are supposed to be?
Thanks given by:
Hydraulic lifters on a '6 so the top end should be quiet - the clearances can't be out, unlike a conventional shimmed setup.

Could be a tired / dead lifter, or it could be that you've some dinked valves from someone making a mess of the cambelt install or from a badly repaired post belt snap engine. It's unfortunately a well known problem with GTi-6 engines thanks to the lack of piston-valve clearance, the timing hole slipping on the crank pulley and the engine having a habit of prematurely snapping belts.... do a search for "tapper" and you'll find plenty.

Cam timing can easily be a little out and it run OK for much of the rev range - they're very sensitive to cam timing.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
I see! I've never dealt with hydraulic lifters before. How would I be able to test them to see if they're worn out?... The engine has recently been built apparently due to the belt snapping for a second time. He claims to have changed all the valves and used a 1mm thicker gasket incase of any clearance problems with the valves but I have no proof of it... A friend of mine said that most of these engines tap after being rebuilt. Is that due to a common mistake during the build or just cutting corners and reusing damaged valvetrain? I'll do a search for tapper now. And check the timing tomorrow.

Cheers Smile!
Thanks given by:
A lot of them do indeed "tap" after being rebuilt following a cambelt failure - it's down to the rebuild not being done properly and damaged valves or guides being re-used (or because it was subsequently damaged being refitted and timed up again)

Everything being good these engines should be quiet and not tap, rattle or anything else.

The problem is the timing is that you can't rely on the timing hole on the bottom pulley being correct, as it's on the outer section that's bonded to the inner with rubber... which breaks up and allows the pulley to slip, leading to the timing hole being in the wrong place. Sometimes there's a mark on the inner pulley which lines up with the hole on the outer to confirm that it's good, but not always. Many a person has ruined an engine blindly trusting that hole is in the correct place...
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Greeeeeat lol. So are there any other ways to know if the crank is in time? Is the hole supposed to line up when it's at TDC?
Thanks given by:
nope, the hole should line up mid stroke.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Typical lol. I don't suppose there is a locking off hole in the gearbox and flywheel like on the XUD?
Thanks given by:
I just use the pulley from a 205 GTi XU 8v solid pulley to verify the hole position / timing, but that's not much help if you don't have one to hand.
Thanks given by:
(21-02-2015, 10:44 AM)aaddzz123 Wrote: Typical lol. I don't suppose there is a locking off hole in the gearbox and flywheel like on the XUD?

nope.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
It's a complete arse if it has slipped.
Tbh they rarely tend to pull much more after 6500, especially if the cams have been slightly advanced.
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
Two of my Gti6/Rallye's were standard and both tailed off a little after 6500rpm and so changed gear then. The only one that pulled up to redline was a Rallye that had slightly different cams, (pt-80 I think) and I suspect mainly because it was slightly down on power anyway. Unless it is severe, I wouldn't worry about it.
Thanks given by:
Cheers guys.

I've not yet checked the timing but I'm 90% sure it's spot on. It runs absolutely fine up to 6.5k. If it's common for them to drop off then I'm no longer concerned Smile!
Thanks given by:
Yeah the power hits its peak at 4.5k and really does tail after 6.5-7 so i wouldn't worry tbh. Theres no need to rag these 6's to the red line!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(04-03-2015, 10:34 PM)Nia Wrote: Theres no need to rag these 6's to the red line!

Hah! mine pulls all the way to the limiter! these engines are designed to be reved as they are square stroked

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
I do but just for the induction noise. It drowns out the bad noises...
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
TICK TICK TICK TICK......

BOOOOM!
Thanks given by:
(04-03-2015, 10:58 PM)adam b Wrote: I do but just for the induction noise. It drowns out the bad noises...

K&N induction+decatted magnex stystem could drown out a atomic bomb lol 
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
Never understood this with regards to "change at 6500", I assume the cams in mine were always quite retarded! Mine used to live for the 7250rpm action, had a reasonable midrange, but was making power just before the limiter, if anything, I always felt like it could benefit from another 250-500rpm, it certainly didn't feel like it was getting wheezy up there... Torque was tailing, but not enough to make it drop power!

I've driven a few that have probably a strong midrange but have felt pretty flat up high, but always thought they were a bit boring tbh...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(19-03-2015, 12:39 PM)Ruan Wrote: Never understood this with regards to "change at 6500", I assume the cams in mine were always quite retarded! Mine used to live for the 7250rpm action, had a reasonable midrange, but was making power just before the limiter, if anything, I always felt like it could benefit from another 250-500rpm, it certainly didn't feel like it was getting wheezy up there... Torque was tailing, but not enough to make it drop power!

I've driven a few that have probably a strong midrange but have felt pretty flat up high, but always thought they were a bit boring tbh...

Agree with you here! Mine felt like it pulled hard all the way to the limiter, used to love it. Anything past 3.5-4krpm and it'd go well.
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(25-02-2015, 08:56 PM)Pebbles167 Wrote: Two of my Gti6/Rallye's were standard and both tailed off a little after 6500rpm and so changed gear then. The only one that pulled up to redline was a Rallye that had slightly different cams, (pt-80 I think) and I suspect mainly because it was slightly down on power anyway. Unless it is severe, I wouldn't worry about it.

My Phase 2 Gti 6 pulls in every gear up to Red Line! Must have some up rated stuff I don't know about then! Smile
Thanks given by:
Every gear? Would like to see you redline it in 6th... Big Grin

Mine pulled right round to near the redline tbh, had to push it past 4.5k to find any real power!
Thanks given by:
maybe boring, but certainly would be quicker.
Thanks given by:
I find the mid range is awesome. Pulls really well to 6-6.5. Flat after that. I did notice though that my mid section exhaust is squashed a little in one place. Certainly could be creating a little too much pressure. I'll soon see when I make my new exhaust in a few weeks Smile.
Thanks given by:
Mine red lines in top gear...?!

Anyway I think my car is fairly quiet with a Peugeot Sport magnex, decat and induction kit. Only 87db at 4.5k static.
This engine likes to rev out but my old rallye with advanced cams was all done by 6800.

And yeah she does make a lot of noises hehe
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
(19-03-2015, 06:26 PM)welshpug Wrote: maybe boring, but certainly would be quicker.

Oh I don't doubt it!

But if I wanted a motor that didn't require to be spanked the shit out of, I'll go drive my "shitty diesel" as most people call them Tongue
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Pulls all the way to 7.5k Wink
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
(19-03-2015, 06:19 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Every gear?  Would like to see you redline it in 6th... Big Grin

Mine pulled right round to near the redline tbh, had to push it past 4.5k to find any real power!

To be honest I've never got it anywhere near the Red Line in 6th! And I don't know if it could be done? Lol!

I'm still getting used to driving her, don't want to push it too far. I'm gonna take her to Crail once I've got the exhaust done, then I can open her right up. Hopefully getting the wheels refurbished soon too. Smile
Thanks given by:
A stock GTi6 will not hit the limiter in 6th, 100%. You'd need a massive down hill section at least!
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flat spot/ miss fire on gti6 kentiiboii 11 3,348 21-02-2014, 12:26 PM
Last Post: kentiiboii