Engine oil recommendation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine oil recommendation
Hi I've got a 2.0 16v with 140k on clock thinking of dropping oil and changing it. I would like to know whether to use a semi or full synthetic oil any opinions

Thanks
Thanks given by:
What can you afford!?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Either it wants a full service before winter it gets quite cold up here, so come October it'll get full service just unsure on semi or full with it been high miles.

(28-08-2014, 04:35 PM)Piggy Wrote: What can you afford!?

This is what I plan to use 6 litres Shell Helix HX7 10W-40 £35

Or the alternative is Fuchs TITAN SYN MC 10w-40 6litres £26
Thanks given by:
Why 6litres!?

You can gey the shell helix stuff a lot cheaper than that. I run it and its done well
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Sorry it comes as a kit with oil filter. Would you recommend the shell helix? I thought it was a funny amount a iirc it only holds about 4 litres any way Undecided
Thanks given by:
Semi synth is fine on an XSi engine. For 306s I've always just gone for the cheapest brand/offer on ECP, they're not fussy like more modern engines are lol.
Thanks given by:
(28-08-2014, 05:08 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Semi synth is fine on an XSi engine. For 306s I've always just gone for the cheapest brand/offer on ECP, they're not fussy like more modern engines are lol.

Thanks I'll go to sdl order cheapest 10w40 and an engine flush jobs a gooden Smile
Thanks given by:
Cheapest brand, I wouldn't recommend the actual cheapest Tesco value oil lol. lol
Thanks given by:
(28-08-2014, 05:32 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Cheapest brand, I wouldn't recommend the actual cheapest Tesco value oil lol. lol

"Every little helps" lol
I think at sdl there cheap stuff is gulf tec plus
Thanks given by:
Ah, that'll be fine then. Smile
Thanks given by:
Dont cheap out on oil. Magnetex stuff is just clever marketing imo but for the sake of a few quid more...why not get decent oil which is essentially the blood for the engine.

Would you infuse yourself with the cheapest plasma substitue you could find??
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(28-08-2014, 08:26 PM)Piggy Wrote: Dont cheap out on oil. Magnetex stuff is just clever marketing imo but for the sake of a few quid more...why not get decent oil which is essentially the blood for the engine.

Would you infuse yourself with the cheapest plasma substitue you could find??

Your right I think for the sake of £10 I'll go for the shell oil.
Thanks given by:
I have a 150,000 mile gti and have always used castrol magnatec 10w 40 part syn, it has always run well. Spends you moneys, makes your choices
Thanks given by:
£10 over 10,000 miles or so, that 1p for every 10miles...not exactly a huge amount to spend to lengthen the life of your engine!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(28-08-2014, 08:57 PM)impotentials Wrote: I have a 150,000 mile gti and have always used castrol magnatec 10w 40 part syn, it has always run well. Spends you moneys, makes your choices

Thanks I'll have a look.
Thanks given by:
Plus if you use eurocarparts Ive just sellected a oil filter and HX7 Shell oil for you engine and it comes to just over £22 delivered mate Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(28-08-2014, 09:00 PM)Piggy Wrote: £10 over 10,000 miles or so, that 1p for every 10miles...not exactly a huge amount to spend to lengthen the life of your engine!

When you put it like that is worth the extra money.
Thanks given by:
(28-08-2014, 09:03 PM)Piggy Wrote: Plus if you use eurocarparts Ive just sellected a oil filter and HX7 Shell oil for you engine and it comes to just over £22 delivered mate Smile

That's even better I'll get some order tomorrow and get it done next week
Thanks for the advice.
Thanks given by:
No worries.....

There is a rep button Wink

Dont leave it too late as theres a 50% off sale, not sure when it ends
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(28-08-2014, 09:06 PM)Piggy Wrote: No worries.....

There is a rep button Wink

Dont leave it too late as theres a 50% off sale, not sure when it ends

Sorry is it the little plus next to reply ?
Thanks given by:
Ahhh cant do it till 100posts it seems!

Thats weird
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
More to the point, what sort of use does your car get? Thats the biggest deciding factor.
When i used a standard engine, i found the happiest it ever was was with the standard Peugeot oil which is Total 7000. Now I'm on a rather modified engine, I'm using Shell helix ultra but will probably change when i do the next service soon.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(28-08-2014, 09:45 PM)Niall Wrote: More to the point, what sort of use does your car get? Thats the biggest deciding factor.
When i used a standard engine, i found the happiest it ever was was with the standard Peugeot oil which is Total 7000. Now I'm on a rather modified engine, I'm using Shell helix ultra but will probably change when i do the next service soon.

Hi and I use it daily to go work (60miles per week) and pottering around in it doesn't really any stick
I was going to use shell hx7
Thanks given by:
Any reason not to use something like mogul 5w50 or even mobil 1 0w40 which have better lower temp protection
Thanks given by:
(28-08-2014, 10:33 PM)MisterGTR Wrote: Any reason not to use something like mogul 5w50 or even mobil 1 0w40 which have better lower temp protection

Peugeot recommend 5w 40, in fact they specifically recommend Total Quartz 7000 or 9000 for the gti-6 engine at least, where 7000 is semi-synthetic and 9000 is fully-synthetic.

Total Quartz 9000 I run mine on this.

I think there was a way of getting it slightly cheaper on here with a discount code iirc.

Any good quality 5w 40 should be fine. As for using other grades, maybe if you are sure of what you are doing, but I wouldn't even bother looking into it myself unless it was for track or I lived in a particularly cold climate, and varying too much from recommended spec could cause problems I'd say.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
These guys are really good if you want to buy Total Quartz:

http://www.nielsencdg.co.uk/acatalog/Tot...l#SID=1074

Free shipping on £60+

I bought 4 x Total Quartz 7000 5L bottles just over £60 delivered
Thanks given by:
Cheers. Will keep it simple and go with recommended. Ta
Thanks given by: