Rounded bolt

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rounded bolt
I attempted to remove my lights to replace with crystals and realised on both head lights the bottom bolts have been rounded. What is the best way to take these f***ers out. To add to my problems I don't have access to a drill as I'm a student living away from home.
[attachment=14629]
Thanks given by:
Hacksaw a slit across the top and user a wide screwdriver?
It should be a torx bolt there, in which case someone's really been at it!
Thanks given by:
Or bolt extractor.

Above method worked for me though, just make sure you cut the groove deep enough so you don't slip
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Snap the plastic off if you don't want the lights and get mile grips on the thread

Or get a flat blade screwdriver/chisel put the screwdriver in the hole and hammer down to make a indent in it then use this indent to chisel it round to undo
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Hacksaw idea seems good. Don't know what I'm doing with these lights once they are out so rather not damage them unless I really have to.
Cheers guys going to give this a try tomorrow
Thanks given by:
Hacksaw has worked well for me a few times
Thanks given by:
a slightly smaller 12point socket thumped on with a hammer works well for me
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
That particular screw does seem to rust in well on both sides. Rounded one of mine off tonight! Got the mole grips on it though (without damaging any plastic) and managed to turn it in small 1/4 turn steps and eventually got it out. Was stiff all the way though, so well rusted in!
Thanks given by:
Good set of vise grips on that and it should screw out.
Thanks given by:
Was gonna say moleys! Looks quite bad though, try not to snap it off.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Either cut a line for a screwdriver or cut the head off and use mole clamps once the lights out the way
Thanks given by:
if cutting a line doesn't come up trumps I normally use a chisel to split the bolt (sometimes it can help turn it off as well!)
Thanks given by:
I promise you that bolt will snap when you get enough grip on it so don't go changing head lights until you have access to a drill to smash it out.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Can't beleive nobody has said soak it in WD40 and leave it overnight first!!!

Hammer and chisel works as it works as a kind of 'shock' method, like how an impact drill does. But any of these suggestions will work. Just give it a good soak in WD back and front, and leave it over night first.
Thanks given by:
Haha True!! Always do a WD soak Smile also along the shock method, putting a spanner on and tapping with a hammer can release stuck nuts
Thanks given by:
Pissing on it would be more effective than wd40. Plus gas is a proper penetrating fluid.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seat bolt rounded help doogle-d turbo 10 1,836 28-02-2013, 04:44 PM
Last Post: doogle-d turbo