HDI more MPG

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HDI more MPG
[Image: hDHG3KB.jpg]

2.0 16v HDi remember - that's over about 350 miles...

After that trip at just under half a tank it rekoned 355 miles in the tank and it only costs about £45-50 to fill...

[Image: kIVwuyM.jpg]
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(24-10-2013, 02:29 PM)Poodle Wrote: Dum-dum drives in binary, that should explain everything you need to explain his mpg. Wink

lmao
Thanks given by:
Last week I found a dented boy racer rear box on the side of the A21. I was going to throw it in the back of my scrap 306 when the time came to weigh in the shell. Last night my exhaust middle section snapped just in front of the rear box.I ordered a new middle section £21 but it won't arrive until Thursday. In the mean time I have stuck the twin chrome tailpipe monstrosity on to keep the car legal.Whilst nobody can see it my God you can hear it. Entirely unintentionally I have a straight through rear box!
Thanks given by:
Keep it and see if it improves the mpg. Wink
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(26-10-2013, 07:32 PM)Poodle Wrote: Keep it and see if it improves the mpg. Wink

It is bound to improve the mpg as I can't push the throttle without wanting a paper bag over my head!
Thanks given by:
I cant believe it's that loud. I've had a HDi with a full 3" system and it's not what id consider loud.
Thanks given by:
(27-10-2013, 10:51 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: I cant believe it's that loud. I've had a HDi with a full 3" system and it's not what id consider loud.

I just think it doesn't go with a tatty old diesel estate. Besides it reminds me of my antics in capris 25 years ago and I cringe.
Thanks given by:
(27-10-2013, 09:12 AM)KevinTW Wrote: It is bound to improve the mpg as I can't push the throttle without wanting a paper bag over my head!

Hahaha, there you go then! I remember snapping the exhaust on the scenic half-way round france one time, roaring away from traffic lights in peaceful villages on a sunday morning... Yeah, i think cringe is the right word lol.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
After the first tank 593 miles the mpg has gone from 43 to 46.6. I blanked the EGR decatted the exhaust and changed the MAF. That said the first 200 miles I had only changed the MAF. I will post the results after the next tank and againwhen I have had a remap.
Thanks given by:
What pressure are you running in your tires and what oil are you using when you service it?
Thanks given by:
40psi in the tyres and 15/40 oil.
Thanks given by:
Could the thicker oil being used be the issue? 10w40 is recommended on these.

Is it semi-synthetic oil and not the mineral based?
Thanks given by:
(01-11-2013, 10:22 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: Could the thicker oil being used be the issue? 10w40 is recommended on these.

Is it semi-synthetic oil and not the mineral based?

It is an old engine 142k> I use mineral £9.99 in Lidl! I stopped and started about 70 times today, the oil isn't bad and it was good and warm after 8 hours today so not gloopy.
Thanks given by:
Tut tut. 142k! Mines on more than twice that and I still use 10w40.

My dad used cheap oil once in his 405 when I first started driving and the car started overheating on the motorway. I didn't realise at the time it was cheap oil and thought it might of been a fault with the cooling system. Changed loads of stuff, it only got better after an oil change and then my dad told me about the oil he used.

Try the right oil and it should pay for itself with better economy.
Thanks given by:
£10 oil from Lidl? That's taking being tight to a new level! lol
Thanks given by:
(01-11-2013, 10:44 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: Tut tut. 142k! Mines on more than twice that and I still use 10w40.

My dad used cheap oil once in his 405 when I first started driving and the car started overheating on the motorway. I didn't realise at the time it was cheap oil and thought it might of been a fault with the cooling system. Changed loads of stuff, it only got better after an oil change and then my dad told me about the oil he used.

Try the right oil and it should pay for itself with better economy.

Cheers
It must be worth a try.
Thanks given by:
Best advice I can give when choosing an oil would be to see if it complies to any vehicle manufacturers specifications. Also when I bought my car I was told not to use mineral based oil and it say that all over the manual.

I normally buy my oil in 20-25l drums. It works out so much cheaper. I also service my other family members cars and the odd friends. The oil will cost around £40-£50 so that works out around £2 per litre!
Thanks given by:
(02-11-2013, 09:55 AM)DeeTurbo Wrote: Best advice I can give when choosing an oil would be to see if it complies to any vehicle manufacturers specifications. Also when I bought my car I was told not to use mineral based oil and it say that all over the manual.

I normally buy my oil in 20-25l drums. It works out so much cheaper. I also service my other family members cars and the odd friends. The oil will cost around £40-£50 so that works out around £2 per litre!

Cheers

I just bought 5 litres 10/40 semi in Euro Car Parts £12.49. I once bought a 205 litre barrel of 15/40 with a pump in a Q8 garage £80!
Thanks given by:
My best is the 63.68, did that over the last few days trying 75% to drive the most economical I could, mostly A roads and a trip up the M1 so was fairly easy to cruise, the previous 66mpg I think is an error when I didn't log my refills correctly.

Stage1 estate

Thanks given by:
10/40 semi-synth as a minimum really, make sure its proper semi-synth because a lot of the cheap stuff isn't.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
46.5 mpg last tank. The experiment continues.
Thanks given by:
What changes have you made?
Thanks given by:
(14-11-2013, 06:56 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: What changes have you made?

New MAF Decat Exhaust,15/40 oil changed to 10/40 Removed K&N Filter Blanked EGR Checked brakes were not binding. Tyres 35psi to 40 psi. Remap it is I reckon.
Thanks given by:
Great work! A remap will definitely do the trick.

tb205gti did a great job of mine. I'm now getting 160bhp and can achieve over 700 miles on a full 60 litre tank.
Thanks given by:
47.5 this tank. Tyres 44psi. If you can get 600 on a tank doing 60% stop start 40% motorway commute that is as good as it gets without a remap. Still a 10% improvement on what I was getting and only spent £90 to manage it. Out of interest how much is a remap?
Thanks given by:
If you use one of the three main remappers recommended on this forum then a Stage 1 remap it should cost you roughly around £100.
Thanks given by:
(24-11-2013, 08:32 AM)Pipps Wrote: If you use one of the three main remappers recommended on this forum then a Stage 1 remap it should cost you roughly around £100.

Thanks that's brilliant
Thanks given by:
44 psi wtf, that's ripe for some uneven tyre wear. I'm still getting 52 mpg at 266 thousand miles, stage 1.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
^^^ As he said, lose the tyre pressure dude, it'll cost more in tyres than it will gain in fuel. Plus it'll badly affect your turning and stopping ability. Confused
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(24-10-2013, 02:41 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: I'm slightly jealous of these uber MPGs, I've not seen 50mpg out of a tank in a HDi, Think about the best Ive ever recorded is 55mpg over a third of a tank.

I remain quite skeptical about 60+ MPG claims for the 306 HDi to be honest. Sitting behind a truck for 12 hours is utterly pointless and meaningless as it's not representative of true figures.

I've had mine 8.5 years and taken it from 70k to 270k almost. Economy barely changed when it became stage 1, it did 55mpg when i first got it as a spring chicken that lived on the motorway, about 52mpg now it's been to the moon, and never saw anything over 58 even when i used a tank in a day prettymuch all motorway. My aircon has never worked to skew any of the figures either.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by: