Guide: Front suspension/spring/coilover change

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guide: Front suspension/spring/coilover change
indeedy. interested to see what all this is about. tbh, id just ram in which ever fitted best. but im a bit bodge happy
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Numbers are the tensile strength ratings
Thanks given by:
do i use these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-PEUGE ... 4844fdb5ff

or these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/306-Wishbone- ... 5d335419b1

Comments please
Thanks given by:
id use the second ones mate.
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Hi, firstly apologies for this being my first contribution on the forum, but I'm a bit bamboozled by my coilovers/topmounts. Picked up the top mounts today from GSF with bearings, but they don't locate on the top alloy cup on the coilover, it just sits there and has lateral movement. I've put pics below and a video (if it works) to try to explain where I'm getting stuck!

[Image: 379b4328.jpg]

[Image: 0f9274e0.jpg]

[Image: th_f58cf280.jpg]

Any pointers much appareciated!
Thanks given by:
Hey there.

I found out the hard way, turn the bearing the other way up; for some reason they come out of the packagaing back to front?

I think this is what you mean; you should find the top cup on the coilover should then sit snug into the bearing

That rounded part on the bearing, will then spin inside the top mount Smile let me know if this does(not) work Smile

Happen to have one spare; like this:

[Image: 3xjLS.jpg]
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
That's hilarious! Feel like an idiot now! Just assumed as the fitted so snuggly in the mount and the fact that they were in the box like so that they had to go that way round! Fits perfectly the other way up. Just quickly too, im not dismantling my old units as don't have a spring compressor, can I just use some normal washers instead of the ones that come with the OE struts/mount that go under the top bolt?

Oh, and thanks ginge!
Thanks given by:
lol no worries mate; i couldn't figure it out for a while either; bugged me!

The cup washers? this one?

hit and miss pal; i don't have any on mine, but you could always chuck a washer under the top nut if you want.

That top cup washer (apparently, according to pug dealers) arn't used any more as they changed the top mount designs? This is what they said to me when i bought the set.

as long as it all gets put together on the car correctly and tight; theres no harm - as for MOT'ing, nothing was even said about my setup - full pass, no advisories.

hope this all helps
Thanks given by:
Yeah those ones, so I can just fit a washer and then the nut straight on to the top mount? Doing away with the black 'top hat' big style washer pictured?
[Image: 55148d8e.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Also do these bearings need any grease? I'm used to packing out tapered style bearings!
Thanks given by:
From my understanding mate, yeh, these newer designed top mounts don't require the cup washer.

And no, you won't need to lube up these bearings; sorry? Wink
Thanks given by:
Haha, why the hell do they package the top mounts like that, confused the hell out of us aswell when we lowered Sams 1.8 lol!
Thanks given by:
(27-07-2012, 04:08 PM)Batesy86 Wrote: Yeah those ones, so I can just fit a washer and then the nut straight on to the top mount? Doing away with the black 'top hat' big style washer pictured?
[Image: 55148d8e.jpg]

the black top hat 'washer' is just a protector for rust etc as far as im aware!
Thanks given by:
Cheers for the help, all fitted now with new drop links too, no more knocking and so much better all round!
Thanks given by:
You're welcome

<<<< rep button is down there
Thanks given by:
Thanks for this just ordered a set of lowering struts
Thanks given by:
Why have you taken the track rod off for??? iv never done that?

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
You're welcome? Smile

Removing the TRE I found it easier to manoeuvre the hub. But yeh, isn't essential
Thanks given by:
I find the easier the hub flops about (gigity) the more fiddly it gets lol

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Big thanks this helped big time
Thanks given by:
You my friend, are welcome
Thanks given by:
Rep,d
Thanks given by:
Any tips for getting the strut back into the hub?
Thanks given by:
(27-05-2013, 01:34 PM)acf8181 Wrote: Any tips for getting the strut back into the hub?

The times I've done it I've always found it easier to bolt the strut top mounts in the position the hub underneath it and smash it up or jack it up onto the strut...

Failing that stick the strut as far down in the hub as you can then position it into the hole (inb4giggity) but I've always found this awkward
Thanks given by:
Cheers for this! Gonna have to fit the GTI sus to my HDI now.
Thanks given by:
Careful; some hdi's share the GTI suspension .
The hdi dturbo have GTI suspension setup, with the meridian and LX specs having hdi setups.
But you're welcome Smile
Thanks given by:
awesome guide...I was also confused on the top mount fitting...

All fitted now fine

Rep given Smile
Thanks given by:
(05-03-2012, 05:35 PM)ginge191 Wrote: fit new coilovers/standard suspension straight away with new top mounts requiring NO spring compressing

Quick question here about not needing spring compressors; if fitting coilovers I can see no spring compressors are needed -if you buy new top mounts that is.

But if fitting 'standard suspension straight away' if it's a new shock+spring+top mount you'll still need a spring compressor? Even if it's a lowering spring right (they're not that much shorter uncompressed?
Thanks given by:
I'm a little confused; you only need spring compressors to remove existing springs. So, if you're replacing top mounts from standard struts, yes, you'll need to compress the springs. Same as if you're fitting lowered springs to existing struts, you'll need to remove the old ones, and fit the new ones on.

As for coilovers or a second set of struts for example, if they have top mounts already, there'll be no need to compress anything?

Does that answer your questions...? Smile

(23-07-2013, 08:33 AM)mr_fish Wrote: awesome guide...I was also confused on the top mount fitting...

All fitted now fine

Rep given Smile

you're welcome Smile
Thanks given by:
(23-07-2013, 09:04 AM)ginge191 Wrote: As for coilovers or a second set of struts for example, if they have top mounts already, there'll be no need to compress anything?

I understand what you mean now, I'm coming from the point of view of new struts, new springs, new top mounts, all needing assembling, so yes spring compressors required.
You're meaning is a second set of struts but 'second hand' so already assembled. Your 'Standard Suspension' is already assembled standard suspension.

Looking forward to getting this done on my 306 soon. The advice of going careful and not knocking the driveshafts out is going to be the bit to follow!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Guide: The Ultimate Bilstein Suspension Guide Eeyore 8 6,267 29-08-2017, 10:29 AM
Last Post: Eeyore
  Guide - Removing Front Bumper Ambrosio 18 18,027 21-10-2015, 09:06 PM
Last Post: cheapo
  Guide: Front and Rear seat removal ginge191 15 13,627 09-05-2013, 10:16 PM
Last Post: ginge191