Detailing and cleaning noob

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Detailing and cleaning noob
Right, I want to get into cleaning my car properly. But where do I start? Where and what wash mit do I buy? Micro fibre cloths? Drying towels?Tell me what to buy and where can I get it at the best price?
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
start with:

two buckets
two sponges
a good detergent (not fairy liquid)
alloy wheel cleaner
then some micromicrofibre cloth for drying.
a good hard wax if hard core or spray on/wipe pff if less time

and some tar/bug remover and glass cleaner!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
2 sponges? No, I know enough to know that sponges are a bad idea
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
Thanks given by:
As above but no sponges, microfibre clothes or mit to wash it then get a blade (saves so much time) and a drying towel, will do the whole car with the one towel once youve been over it with a blade.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Links please lol
Thanks given by:
2 buckets with a grit guard in one, a lambswool wash mitt, good shampoo, drying towel.

Dont use a blade for drying either.

Shop around for prices try cleanyourcar.co.uk, waxamomo.co.uk, waxyclean.co.uk etc.

Dodo juice born to be mild is a great shampoo and good value.
Thanks given by:
Nout wrong with a new sponge
Thanks given by:
(23-06-2013, 01:50 PM)Just Sean Wrote: Nout wrong with a new sponge

If you're gonna use a brand new sponge every time! I still wouldn't use one myself though, all about the micro fibre sponge for me. Was thinking of getting a noodle mitt, but just haven't got round to it yet.
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I find mitts and stuff get snagged and the threads pull out. I'd sober a brand new sponge every time
Thanks given by:
I wouldn't be using a sponge either.
Thanks given by:
two sponges...one for top half...second for bottom half.
grit guard buckets are ace!

and big no on the blade...terrible unless you want to polish everytime
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(23-06-2013, 03:00 PM)Piggy Wrote: two sponges...one for top half...second for bottom half.
grit guard buckets are ace!

and big no on the blade...terrible unless you want to polish everytime

what would the preferred method be then, because ive been led to believe that a chamois leather is no good either. I have a big microfibre towel that i use, but usually only after ive used the blade to get the worst of the water off.
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
wet synth chamois then dry chamois.

if your flush, air jet from a compressor! blow dry is best.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
As mentioned dont use a sponge there a bastard for holding microscopic particles of gr it. I use a good chamois keep it clean and it should be no problems microfibre wash mit. To wash the car down starting at the top working your way down. Then a microfibre towel and chamois to gey excess water off the car. Polish and wax is all down to personal prefrence.

If you need any advice feel free to pm me inwas a valter/ detailer for 7 years
Thanks given by:
Less talking, more links to actual products please lol
Thanks given by:
Your car is silver yeah? If so I wouldn't go too mad with it, silver never looks any different! haha.

What I would do: (two bucket washing with grit guards in)

1. Wash CLICKY

2. Clay CLICKY Although if your paint is really rough this clay bar is probably too fine.

3. Wash again

4. Dry CLICKY

5. Polish CLICKY

6. Wax CLICKY

I'm rubbish at detailing by hand (never used a machine either), but the above has got me good results.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
I already have the washing products, bought an auto glym kit, so I've got shampoop, alloy cleaner, window cleaner and polish. Im more in need of the equipment. But thanks ricky, that's closer to what I was hoping for
Thanks given by:
(23-06-2013, 04:48 PM)Connor Wrote: I already have the washing products, bought an auto glym kit, so I've got shampoop, alloy cleaner, window cleaner and polish. Im more in need of the equipment. But thanks ricky, that's closer to what I was hoping for

As I said in Cullys thread about clay. I use auto glym simply because I get out cheaper than any where else. There big drying towel cost me £8 which is about £15 usually.

For was I use a like a microfiber sponge. Holds load of water.
Drying the towel will do a car without wiping water of. If you wrote the water of you can do a car twice at least with it.
For polish and waxing I like to use the little polish pads the spread evenly. Then prefect finishing cloth to remove.
After that I top it up with rapid detail using a perfect finishing cloth.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
And where can I buy these products that cheap?
Thanks given by:
(23-06-2013, 05:07 PM)Connor Wrote: And where can I buy these products that cheap?

It's a small diy/garden shop 5 miles from me. I paid £27 for hd wax. £10 for 2ltr of shampoo.
Don't know how they sell out so cheap because at fcs last year the auto glym stand couldn't beat the price.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
my method right or wrong but works for me

TRF neat on the wheels brush then rinse,
autoglym bodyshampoo on the paintwork/glass work it in with a broom with very soft head rinse,
optional clay bar paintwork
optional wash again
towel dry
Optional machine polish with AutoGlym super resin polish
Wax with poorbouys white*** depending on car colour*** with small aplicator sponge
buff off with microfiber cloth

as for prices
trf liquid borrowed from a pressure washer
halfords do deals on autoglym stuff 3-2 sometimes
poorbouys wax ebay
clay ebay
polisher toolstation silverline
polisher pad red pad from toolstation
towels work
microfiber cloths aldi 5 for £1 a while ago
Thanks given by:
You could also use demon shine as a drying aid, its cheap in halfords.

Plenty of towels and cloths here:
http://www.carcare.co.uk/index.php?optio...Itemid=101
Thanks given by:
connor...i wasn't aware you could detail rust! pmsl

I am still working on that front end for you Wink
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
Meguairs microfiber wash mitt from halfords is brilliant
They do there own microfiber drying towels which are also good
Thanks given by:
Sponges are a big no-no. It doesn't matter whether or not the sponge is new or old, it comes down to how grit is picked up by the sponge and has nowhere to go but be squashed down against the paint. It effectively acts as sandpaper, and buying a new sponge every time doesn't change this. Using a proper washmitt will help reduce new or heavier swirls being created.
Thanks given by:
These are what I use. They have a sponge inside to hold the water but they have microfiber noodles.    

Are these ok to use or are sheep fur wash mits best?
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
(24-06-2013, 06:08 PM)Scott Wrote: Sponges are a big no-no. It doesn't matter whether or not the sponge is new or old, it comes down to how grit is picked up by the sponge and has nowhere to go but be squashed down against the paint. It effectively acts as sandpaper, and buying a new sponge every time doesn't change this. Using a proper washmitt will help reduce new or heavier swirls being created.

Thanks for the information, Ed
Thanks given by:
Pftt, if I were Ed, I'd have even listed the equivalent grade sandpaper and a minimum depth of wool, pH balance of the water and optimum temperature.
Thanks given by:
(24-06-2013, 06:27 PM)Scott Wrote: Pftt, if I were Ed, I'd have even listed the equivalent grade sandpaper and a minimum depth of wool, pH balance of the water and optimum temperature.

Oh please do that would really be helpful
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
Once you have got the body work to a good standard, invest in a Snow foam set up (llooking at about £50). It means you can wash the car easily without even touching it with grit on the paint work. Also looks cool!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good online retailer of cleaning/detailing products? tigerstyle 4 1,396 03-11-2016, 11:19 PM
Last Post: Ben_w
  Detailing people - recommend please ginge191 3 1,041 09-01-2016, 08:49 PM
Last Post: 1616six
  Engine bay detailing crumpy 33 5,613 27-09-2014, 01:20 PM
Last Post: crumpy