The Airbag and you...For MOT !!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Airbag and you...For MOT !!
I've just spoken to my MOT tester regarding the airbag for MOT as i had my flashing light issues and heard some fantastic news that I just had to share...

The airbag is NOT included currently in the MOT and wont be for the time being, it was due to be included as part of MOT's from start of march/April but this has been suspended indefinitely, so....happy days!!!!

Fingers crossed MYA now passes her MOT next month Smile
Thanks given by:
There was quite a few things that were ment to be added to the fail list last year but they most got knocked on the head.
[Image: A1A3B2B1-9269-463A-9F21-2ABF4CE9BEAC-165...A3B3F7.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Aye mine passed the other month with the airbag light on, as the seats I removed had airbags in, and I haven't been arsed to mess about with the connectors.
[Image: sig-3.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Sorry hold the phone......

So if I have an OMP steering wheel and Buckets, and consequently my airbag light is flashing worse than Dumdum on a night out, the car will still pass MOT????
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
true story Ed, i asked my tester last night after i heard chinese whispers. Tim is so straight to the rules he's a ruler, he advised me that the rules have not been brought in and won't for a while..i have airbag light issues hence i asked him about the rules Wink

....so Ed you can put the phone down now
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
(28-02-2013, 08:40 AM)devils_fuel Wrote: true story Ed, i asked my tester last night after i heard chinese whispers. Tim is so straight to the rules he's a ruler, he advised me that the rules have not been brought in and won't for a while..i have airbag light issues hence i asked him about the rules Wink

....so Ed you can put the phone down now

Haha! Thanks mate Smile Repd Smile
Thanks given by:
you're welcome Ed, i just had to post the news on the forum as i am not the only one with this issue and stressing about it lol

Thanks given by:
See I was told that they have been brought in but are currently on a 'bedding in' which my tester basically said means ignore it lol. He did say come April though, it will more than likely be introduced.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(28-02-2013, 11:38 AM)Niall Wrote: See I was told that they have been brought in but are currently on a 'bedding in' which my tester basically said means ignore it lol. He did say come April though, it will more than likely be introduced.

That was supposed to be last April, DVLA/VOSA/general twats are incompetent as you already know..
Thanks given by:
(28-02-2013, 11:38 AM)Niall Wrote: See I was told that they have been brought in but are currently on a 'bedding in' which my tester basically said means ignore it lol. He did say come April though, it will more than likely be introduced.

My MOT is booked for 06/04/13 and Tim said don't worry as it won't be included....

probably be an advisory

Thanks given by:
Whooo . I have 3 bulbs to remove this weekend then lmao

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
...... Big Grin

Thanks given by:
(28-02-2013, 11:45 AM)vlj Wrote:

That was supposed to be last April, DVLA/VOSA/general twats are incompetent as you already know..

Wrong. It was only airbag light last year. You could remove every airbag but providing the light came on and went off, it would pass. This year, it will (read should) fail if the original airbags are missing. Same with ABS
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I guess the issue with this is track cars/rally cars??

As they have the airbags and abs removed...perhaps thats one of many reasons?!...

Be curious to know how they were going to check too when they are not permitted to remove covers/panels!?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(28-02-2013, 10:34 PM)Niall Wrote:

Wrong. It was only airbag light last year. You could remove every airbag but providing the light came on and went off, it would pass. This year, it will (read should) fail if the original airbags are missing. Same with ABS

so your seats would be a fail then Niall?

Thanks given by:
(01-03-2013, 09:01 AM)devils_fuel Wrote:
(28-02-2013, 10:34 PM)Niall Wrote:

Nope because the rx8 seats have side airbags which are working

Well ok there not but piggy makes a good point that they can't remove covers. I've got resistors for my seat airbags and there is visible airbags on the seats so all is gravy.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I'm gonna tie ballons to my buckets with "airbag" written on them.

That or draw boobies all over them.... Definitely a pass imo.....
Thanks given by:
(01-03-2013, 09:17 AM)Niall Wrote:
(01-03-2013, 09:01 AM)devils_fuel Wrote:
(28-02-2013, 10:34 PM)Niall Wrote: Wrong. It was only airbag light last year. You could remove every airbag but providing the light came on and went off, it would pass. This year, it will (read should) fail if the original airbags are missing. Same with ABS

Nope because the rx8 seats have side airbags which are working

Well ok there not but piggy makes a good point that they can't remove covers. I've got resistors for my seat airbags and there is visible airbags on the seats so all is gravy.

Ah i see Wink

(01-03-2013, 09:28 AM)Ed Doe Wrote: I'm gonna tie ballons to my buckets with "airbag" written on them.

That or draw boobies all over them.... Definitely a pass imo.....

repped !!

Thanks given by:
Thread revival I know, but does anybody know the latest on this?
Noticed today that my air bag light is missing.
And I have a 205 gti steering wheel, so no airbag. Airbag light doesnt come on at all
So will it fail?
Thanks given by:
(19-07-2013, 04:58 PM)Stephen Wrote: Thread revival I know, but does anybody know the latest on this?
And I have a 205 gti steering wheel, so no airbag. Airbag light doesnt come on at all
So will it fail?

Nope as there is no airbags fiited to the car
Blaze '6 and Blaze D-turbo!
Thanks given by:
Are you sure Miss toon?
Thanks given by:
Does this apply in Northern Ireland as well does anybody know? I know our MOT is a lot more strict than the rest of the Uk...
Thanks given by:
Right VOSA guidelines now say that if an airbag system is present, its self test light should come on at startup and go out after a few seconds. All airbags should also be visually undamaged and obviously not detonated.
Now this doesnt mean your tester will adhere to this. Some dont and there is plenty of stories of people getting away with it but obviously some will be pretty hot on their regs.
Another thing to point out for those of you who like to piggy back your air bag light off the abs one. Technically, all self test systems like that should go out at a slightly different time (those of you with working airbags noticed the abs goes out about a second before the airbag). Some testers will pick up on this but you will be extremely unlucky to get caught.

my advice. Get to know what your tester drinks or find a friendly one Big Grin
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I am sure, the amount of cars we have failed on air bag lights lately is unreal
Blaze '6 and Blaze D-turbo!
Thanks given by:
Sweet I shall bring mine to yours after FCS!
Thanks given by:
well im doing a roaring trade in airbag resistors mainly to back street garages
anyone want a list who not to go too

Smile
Thanks given by:
Haha, I'm not even remotely surprised, cully, fixing them is such a pain, and the alternative is scrapping a whole shed load of cars!!

It's a f*cking stupid rule, IMO.
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
There not difficult to fix at all. 9 times out of 10, its just a case of cutting off the plugs on the seats and soldering! Airbags rarely go wrong
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(19-07-2013, 04:58 PM)Stephen Wrote: Thread revival I know, but does anybody know the latest on this?
So will it fail?

The airbag light for you can would have been on the steering wheel, no steering wheel, no airbag, no airbag light Wink
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(19-07-2013, 05:22 PM)AdamInNi Wrote: Does this apply in Northern Ireland as well does anybody know? I know our MOT is a lot more strict than the rest of the Uk...

Before January 2001 the airbag light doesnt need to work, if the car is after that date it has to work.
Thanks given by: