S16 idle

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
S16 idle
Yes I know it's that frosty again with another problem with his S16. Well as you guys were so helpful with helping me sort out the flat spots I fort I would test you brains again.

Basically I have had this problem for a while but only does it very now and then but it seems to be doing it a lot at the moment. When it's idling it kind of revs it's self up and down. Goes to about 1250rpm and down to about 700rpm. And when I'm driving along and then come to stop/slow down with the clutch down it cuts out. I guess that link though as I expect the revs are dropping to low and there for it cuts out.

Any ideas what the problem is? Help much appreciated
Thanks given by:
Idle control valve
Big silver canister on left hand side of cylinder head has an electrical connector on top and a hose or two coming off the bottom
Thanks given by:
+1 on the icv
Thanks given by:
(30-01-2013, 09:54 PM)swampy Wrote: Idle control valve
Big silver canister on left hand side of cylinder head has an electrical connector on top and a hose or two coming off the bottom

I will have a look in the morning. Got a pic of what I'm looking for?

So it to a case of replace it or can it be cleaned
Thanks given by:
You can't miss it, around same area as the oil filler cap.

The hoses that cone off it are breather hoses so it does get gunked up with crap

Also check the pipe work attached to it isn't split
Thanks given by:
Ok cheers mate. Will check it out tomorrow .
Thanks given by:
So I give it a bit of carb cleaner stuff at work today and I'm just going to see how it is now as it only does it every now and then
Thanks given by:
I have a spare idle control valve if you need one. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
I've got 1 on the spare engine I got but thanks anyway. Hopefully it's sorted anyway
Thanks given by: