Aftermarket Rev Counter to XUD

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aftermarket Rev Counter to XUD
How would I got about fitting an after market Rev gauge such as this to an XUD:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rev-Counter-Ta...588e354451

They run off voltage generated from RPM's which wouldn't be any use on an XUD right?

Just trying to figure out how to get ANY after market rev counter working on the 205.

Any help much is appreciated!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
cant see any reason why it wouldnt work as far as im a wear thats where the std counter picks up from!
Thanks given by:
wont work mate. needs an electronic wire to connect to such as a coil trigger wire. the XUD has nothing similar.

You need to get the sensor off a 306 and bolt it in to the 205 then nick the gubbins out a 306 rev gauge and wire it up.
Thanks given by:
(31-12-2012, 02:41 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: wont work mate. needs an electronic wire to connect to such as a coil trigger wire. the XUD has nothing similar.

You need to get the sensor off a 306 and bolt it in to the 205 then nick the gubbins out a 306 rev gauge and wire it up.

ive asked in the other post where the pick up is for the rev counter? can you point me in the wright direction?
Thanks given by:
back of the block on the webbing that faces the fly wheel
Thanks given by:
(31-12-2012, 02:44 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: back of the block on the webbing that faces the fly wheel

3 pin wire that connect at the front of the block by the fuel filter housing if so ive replaced that so it must be the cluster thats gone!
Thanks given by:
I've seen a 106 1.9 XUD on YT with an after market rev counter. There must be a way surely? Even if it involves using the 306 tacho sensor thingy?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
(31-12-2012, 02:44 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: back of the block on the webbing that faces the fly wheel
This, make sure you give it a good clean before you put it back on
MG ZR TD+ - gone and easily forgotten
Fabia vRS PD130 - New daily
Astra H VXR - new toy!
Thanks given by:
I can't remember exactly if after market rev counters can read the standard VR sensor on the back of the block...

However, if you know the ratio, you can use the W terminal on the alternator...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(31-12-2012, 02:46 PM)Dale Wrote: 3 pin wire that connect at the front of the block by the fuel filter housing if so ive replaced that so it must be the cluster thats gone!

nope its defo at the back mate.
Thanks given by:
W terminal on alternator is easiest way, the stock sensor is a farce to get working with anything other than the stock dashs'
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
(01-01-2013, 12:57 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(31-12-2012, 02:46 PM)Dale Wrote: 3 pin wire that connect at the front of the block by the fuel filter housing if so ive replaced that so it must be the cluster thats gone!

nope its defo at the back mate.

sorry just re read that post i didnt explain very well! the sensor pushes into a plastic housing at the back of the block then winds its way from the back of the engine to the front grey plug 3 pin that clips into a bracket but the fuel filter housing!
Thanks given by:
I would go alternator
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
How would you set it up on the alternator though?
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Darren & Ruan my alternator looks different to my 306's I'm guessing its the 205 one, the belts all look a lot thinner too.

Would the gauge I originally linked on eBay connect up to this W terminal?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
(01-01-2013, 04:58 PM)Ricky Wrote: How would you set it up on the alternator though?

ThisHuh
Thanks given by:
All alternators have a W terminal... Whether it's external or you'll have to pull the back off, but there will be one there...

The W output is the output off the diode bridge before it's rectified from what I can see... So you're getting pure AC off the back of the alternator, rather than the rectified DC output...

[Image: W-terminal.jpg]

You then need to know the drive ratio of the alternator and I think how many pole the alternator is - I'll think harder about it tomorrow when it's not half midnight...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
so if you knew the size of the crank pulley and the size of the alternator pulley, you could work out the ratio, then work a rev counter from that?
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
yarp!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by: