Sean's (& Ed's & Scott's) Astor GTi6

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sean's (& Ed's & Scott's) Astor GTi6
Sounds like you are having the same issue I did. Honestly think its something to do with the ptfe gaskets. Not cool
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Yeah but it's never been a problem before, and wasn't an issue on my old 6. It's only just started happening over the last few weeks.

Scott yes please! Can you keep it by for me I dunno when ill be able to collect, could you bring it to playzone that'd be awesome!
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
Yeah I'll take it off tomorrow morning Smile
Thanks given by:
Yeah mine was fine, then took it all apart and then would idle properly. Going to get two paper gaskets and wedge either side. That'll stop the air
Thanks given by:
Ed, check your whatsapp you bitch
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Right well I thought I'd update this seeing as I've been living with it for a week or so now…

I cleaned the ICV friday, which has solved the idle/stalling issue, but nothing else.

Basically as far as I can tell the symptoms are similar to when my TPS was unplugged earlier in the year. No idea why this would go so suddenly though??

It's similar in the sense that when I blip the throttle using only a cm or so of the travel, it revs only a small amount above tick-over (say 1250 ish). It also revs like a hdi; fly by wire throttle response almost. It's not nearly as pronounced as on an hdi obviously, but it's still a bit rubbish.

When driving, it feels basically like the first couple of cm of throttle don't actually do anything. There also seems to be excessive engine braking with no throttle, though this is intermittent.

Also, if I go from no throttle slowly through that 'dead zone', it actually feels like there's marginally MORE engine braking than normal.

Its completely doing my head in really…

I'm properly hoping it's the TPS just on the blink and a replacement from my old manifold will cure the issue. Anyone have any other ideas?
Thanks given by:
have you refitted the ptfe gasket more than once?

if you have the ptfe gasket can only be used once as it is a crush type gasket it crushes and molds to the manifold/head shapes
and once crushed wont re crush to take up any imperfections again

we use ptfe sheets to cut gaskets for steam flanges once a 3mm sheet is crushed in the flanges on removal it can be as thin as paper so it a throw away item not reusable
Thanks given by:
(08-11-2012, 09:01 AM)cully Wrote: have you refitted the ptfe gasket more than once?

if you have the ptfe gasket can only be used once as it is a crush type gasket it crushes and molds to the manifold/head shapes
and once crushed wont re crush to take up any imperfections again

we use ptfe sheets to cut gaskets for steam flanges once a 3mm sheet is crushed in the flanges on removal it can be as thin as paper so it a throw away item not reusable

Yes & No.
Yes I have re-used the ptfe gasket. I bought it used off Cwspellowe. I used it with no issues at all on the diablo. I then transferred it onto the Astor in early June IIRC again with no issues at all. I did remove the inlet manifold, but not the gasket from the studs when I did my oil change, as I intended to fit my oil cooler at the same time. It was put back properly though, and I don't see how a leak would result in a less responsive engine either?

I agree in some applications the gasket could be a one-use item. But the manifold should never be torqued down anything like enough to crush 4mm ptfe!!!
Thanks given by:
spay some carb/brake cleaner or easystart around the gasket joint on tick over and see if the engine note/sound changes

if it does then the gaskets leaking
Thanks given by:
(08-11-2012, 09:23 AM)cully Wrote: spay some carb/brake cleaner or easystart around the gasket joint on tick over and see if the engine note/sound changes

if it does then the gaskets leaking

I'll give that a try tonight Smile Surely having a leak on the inlet gasket wouldn't cause lethargic revs though? I'd have expected it to idle higher than normal and be more responsive if anything??
Thanks given by:
it would suck in more air messing with the mixture making it lean off reducing power
Thanks given by:
Believe me, you know when the gaskets are leaking on there. Mine leaked on my 1.8 because a bit of the old gasket less than 1cm across was still stuck to the block. It idled at 3500rpm non stop!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
That's what I thought Niall... I'll check when I get a chance in any case though...
Thanks given by:
Ptfe inlet gaskets are advertised to be reused up to 10 times Wink
Thanks given by:
in your case you may have too....;0

Thanks given by:
(08-11-2012, 02:36 PM)Matt Wrote: Ptfe inlet gaskets are advertised to be reused up to 10 times Wink

And God knows how many times Pellowe's had it on and off his poor Sundance!! lol
Thanks given by:
Haha exactly! Maybe time for a new'un!
Thanks given by:
f*ck that, just stick a couple of paper gaskets either side, job jobbed
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Right I popped down to my mechanic mate down the road and he sprayed a load of brake cleaner all over the place and the car didn't rev at all. So I'm inclined to think the ptfe gasket is fine!

Really pipping my hopes on it being the tps....
Thanks given by:
Ed -what is left that you havent checked / altered?
[Image: sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(09-11-2012, 06:14 PM)ben87 Wrote: Ed -what is left that you havent checked / altered?

Probably passenger seat, maybe rear bench. Once ed gets a lil paranoid everything is poked/tapped/prodded/cleaned
Thanks given by:
nice car. Sorry only read 1st thread. Can also confirm harry's 205 is soooo fast! Also that 306 they sold you is mint is you'll find! Enjoy
Thanks given by:
Was mint before Ed got it you mean.... lol
Thanks given by:
Haha just read the last few pages, explains what the thing weeping oil was when I stripped the sundance, funnily enough the dealer didn't know what I meant by "thingy" so I just left it as it wasn't too bad. Never had any running issues with it anyway so if yours is affected it probably needs replacing.

And I'll have you know that gasket only had about 4 of its lives used. If you weren't so paranoid and had t kept taking it off to look at those valve stems you wouldn't have ruined it, so don't go blaming me! /troll
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Lol fyc tom, it still I'd fringing mint!!

Right, hhappy days, it's fixed!! Plugged it into Peugeot planet this morning with Niall, the map sensor was buggered. So nipped down and grabbed my old one off the Diablo. Chucked it on after hockey this afternoon, it's sorted!! So happy!

I'm still going to look into the racoon filter at Some point fairly soon and will look into doing a faq when I come to change it if there's any interest?

And feck off pellowe, it's only been only Diablo once and then on and on the Astor twice... I spose its near the end of its reaching the end of it's usable life...!

Massive thanks time Niall for helping me diagnose the fault with pug planet!!
Thanks given by:
(10-11-2012, 08:37 PM)Ed Doe Wrote: the end if UTStarcom usable life...!

[Image: tumblr_m9v4ath2ka1qh01dx.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I'm on mazzs bloody tablet, the spellcheck is complete fail!
Thanks given by:
lmao

UTStarcom. How the crap does that even get onto spellcheck!?

Bloody taplets.
Thanks given by:
Right;

update. I think.

I've still got an issue with the car. It's less pronounced than before, but still there.

This is more token update for my project thread than a cry for help, given the scale of useless trolls on this forum, but here goes...

List of things still annoying me about my fecking car;

1. Sunroof fills up the interior light 'dimple' thingee. Blocked drains from the roof, which I need to sort out but haven't had a chance
2. Clonking from the suspension.
3. Frankly worrying changes in suspension geometry when crossing white lines/camber changes. far more pronounced than before…
4. Too much engine movement
5. f*cking annoying rattles from the back of the car when driving. Not located these yet for obvious reasons.
6. The throttle issue.

Expanding on point 6. The map sensor has improved things greatly, but there is still a numbness to throttle position changes that I'm hoping points to the Throttle position sensor.

I got pissed off with it on my drive home yesterday, so went outside and nearly got the whole inlet off to try to discount a number of things, and just to generally inspect things.
Observations as follows;

1. Map sensor plug (loom side); the plastic moulding at the back of the plug has cracked completely through. It also seemed to have oil/glaze on it, and in the pins of the connector too.

2. Throttle body/plate/air temp sensor was all clean as a whistle. Looked great, but on 2nd thoughts, surely there should be a little oil going through it from the ICV breather pipe, which is still piped in to the standard elbow as it should be…?

My thoughts are that when Niall plugged my car into pug planet; it may well have shown the tps to be working, in the sense it was giving some outputs. But I think (having spoken to Ruan) it may still be faulty, in the sense it's not varying the voltage output smoothly to the ecu, allowing it to 'predict' fuel demandbased on instant changes in throttle position, rather than having to wait for the map sensor to register change in manifold pressure to chuck more/less fuel in.? I need to get it hooked up to a multimeter, but will probably just pre-emptively bung my old tps on to see if that solves the issue. I'll clean up and electrical tape the tps plug up too in case it's causing any issues with moisture/oil getting in…

If anyone has any genuine advice, I'd appreciate some input. Just to stress though, I do have a sense of humor, but I'm fast losing it with the car at the moment, so if you fancy an opportunity to troll me, I'm warning you now I will just ban you. Feel free to continue trolling in other threads etc, but I need this to stay on topic so I can get my car fixed, before I just give up and take a lump hammer to it...
Thanks given by:
Coolant temp sensor? Think iv advised before bu if I have it's deep inside this thread
Perv 106 1.4 xs First Pug Love - Scrapped
Perv 306 1.6 5 Door Hore - Sold
110bhp 207 Hdi Sport - Used as a Brake
173bhp T25 Ph1 Diablo Dturbo - Scrapped
Thirsty Bitch Volvo 850 Estate - Sold
51bhp Berlingo Nad DT Van - Sold
Slow as f*ck Dispatch Work Horse

www.prestige-auto-care.co.uk
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Frosty's astor GTi6 Frosty 20 7,987 26-07-2018, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Frosty
  Sean's Diablo HDi Stage 2 168bhp & 290lbsft Just Sean 383 136,598 08-05-2013, 11:47 AM
Last Post: Poodle