MX5 turbo on the road again.......

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MX5 turbo on the road again.......
Thanks. I hope to have this back on the road asap but so much i want to do to it before hand.
[Image: 306oc_zpsf2d249a4.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Awesome stuff mate, look forward to FINALLY seeing this at some point lol turbo will be epic!
Thanks given by:
Thanks Curt, if the turbo isn't fitted when i finally bering it to hampshire i will just put the roof down and make the sounds affects Smile
Thanks given by:
This best be soon!
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
love it bud id say it will fair shift with the td04,always had a soft spot for these esp when there stanced keep up the good work Smile
[Image: 306sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Well after looking at the turbo and monifold for a while and moving it from one side of the shed to the other, as i walked past the car this evening i tripped and it fell into the bay........

[Image: 2012-10-18181247.jpg]

[Image: 2012-10-18181404.jpg]

Excuse the worst phone photos ever but it was dark and the flash is shocking.
Thanks given by:
dont need good photos to see a lovely snail in the bay! Big Grin
nice one!
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Hehe, it does look good, the actuator is sitting too high at the moment so stops bonnet fully closing so got to relocate it slightly.

Still waiting for a down pipe bought of ebay about two week ago and the guy onl marked as despatched today, not happy. I wanted to start mocking that part up this week.
Thanks given by:
Looks almost factory mate and thats a serious achievement in itself.

Easier option for the actuator bonnet clearance involves a spot of wet white paint on the top of the actuator to mark the bonnet and then a big hammer mate LOL.
Thanks given by:
Now THIS is winning, looking forward to drooling on it tomorrow.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Chris - There will be no hammer touching the bonnet......... i may have to external wastegate it but i think that may be out of my budget for now, but external wastegate and screamer pipe hmmmmmm

As for the factory looking part, i think that was just luck, but as soon as the piping goes on it will look less than factory, there is bugger all room in the bay to run it neatly.

Alex - if you're lucky i will let you see the wheels haha
Thanks given by:
Subaru decat turned up to today 3" is this a little overkill.........

[Image: 2012-10-19120321.jpg]

Compared to the original exhuast which is 2" but my stainless exhaust i have fitted is 2.5" so will be on the look out for a reducer and then i will have a lot of cutting and welding to get it to fit around the bulkhead.

Got to love a challenge
Thanks given by:
That thing's huge!

Inb4that'swhatshesaid
Thanks given by:
Been buying some boring parts this weekend that turned up today, but they are very vital in the running of a turbo, without it going bang especially as im not going for stand alone ECU ......... yet. No doubt when i get addicted to the boost i will want more power and need stand alone

[Image: IMG_0651.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0652.jpg]

The Bipes acu is the cheap pikey way of sorting the timing out on MX5 but it will do the job for the time being i don't want to see anything more than 6psi so this should be sufficient. Also managed to get an o2 clamp to trick the ecu into not cutting fuel when it realises too much is being pumped in.
Thanks given by:
Hahaha pikey lash-up ftw! Nice to see someone doing it to a petty for a change. Wink

(19-10-2012, 11:51 AM)Scott Wrote: That thing's huge!

Inb4that'swhatshesaid

It's even bigger in person, couldn't believe it when he whipped it out.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(23-10-2012, 02:07 PM)Poodle Wrote: Hahaha pikey lash-up ftw! Nice to see someone doing it to a petty for a change. Wink

(19-10-2012, 11:51 AM)Scott Wrote: That thing's huge!

Inb4that'swhatshesaid

It's even bigger in person, couldn't believe it when he whipped it out.

Hehe thanks, i was trying not to shock you too much.......

Got some even more 3inch pipe yesterday including another decat which i will cut up first just incase i get it wrong.

[Image: 2012-10-24091335.jpg]

And the decat is hks

[Image: 2012-10-24091351.jpg]

shame its not a stainless one otherwise i would sell it on, both pipes cost me £15 thats not a bad price. I did have to remove it off the bottom of two cars and there was a puddle underneath, its bloody scary jacking up two cars in one go. But as soon as i saw the midbox i had to have it.

[Image: 2012-10-24091342.jpg]

The pipe reduces from 3inch to 2.5 so it has solved my problem of how to step down exhaust size.
Thanks given by:
Turbos and big exhausts, this is getting good Wink
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Hehe, 2.5 exhuast is more than sufficient for 300bhp iirc but all subarus have 3inch exhaust so that will just have to to, quick spool i hope
Thanks given by:
It's been a while the car has sat in the shed is covered in lots of sawdust but hopefully there will be some progress while i have time off over christmas. Beginning with intercooler piping, just fitted one pipe so far, it made me feel good to be adding to car instead of just fixing a peugeot.

A picture just because im all excited about boooooost. If the oil lines turn up next week(very unlikely) i may even be close to starting it.

[Image: 2012-12-21152403_zps43efee6d.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ive just chucked away a skip full of wrc Subaru exhaust bits. really regretting it now that ive thought about how many uses they could've had....
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Awesome stuff mate, very excited about this Big Grin (and you helping build mine of course)
Thanks given by:
Looking good man! Can't wait to see this next week!
Thanks given by:
(21-12-2012, 05:35 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: Ive just chucked away a skip full of wrc Subaru exhaust bits. really regretting it now that ive thought about how many uses they could've had....

You should have chucked them this way, i need everything i can get at the moment

(21-12-2012, 05:38 PM)Curt Wrote: Awesome stuff mate, very excited about this Big Grin (and you helping build mine of course)

Of course i will help you with yours as long as you buy the bits off me once i upgrade to full management hehe. Oh and also i get to keep that cat.

(21-12-2012, 05:41 PM)vlj Wrote: Looking good man! Can't wait to see this next week!

hopefully it will have more on it next week. Unfortunately it will still be covered in sawdust
Thanks given by:
Started on the downpipe this afternoon, just tacked atm and the first weld did slip putting the top part out so got to grind that an realign but i think the bodged scooby exhaust may work, thats if it can fit through the tiny gap between gearbox, subframe and bulkhead.

Once again crappy phone picture but it gets the idea across.

[Image: 2012-12-24163527_zpsb1e4e8e1.jpg]

[Image: 2012-12-24163544_zpsd470180d.jpg]

[Image: 2012-12-24163441_zpsc0a14a12.jpg]

[Image: 2012-12-24163800_zps3bd9dd55.jpg]

My welding isn't amazing but as long as it doesn't leak no one will know as it will be painted and wrapped.
Thanks given by:
Good stuff man, watching it all with great interest... As you know I'll need to do the same lol.

Off to eBay to look at turbos and welders ninja
Thanks given by:
Been on hold for a day i learnt the hard way that you shouldn't weld galvanised steel and breath in vapours, whoops.

Back on track tomorrow though. With any luck by end of next weekend i will be able to drive the car even if it isn't running the turbo as will wedge the waste gate open for the MOT so as to pass emissions as it will be fuelling NA. then once on the road i can start playing with the fuelling.
Thanks given by:
(27-12-2012, 09:50 PM)Fozzy Wrote: Been on hold for a day i learnt the hard way that you shouldn't weld galvanised steel and breath in vapours, whoops.

Back on track tomorrow though. With any luck by end of next weekend i will be able to drive the car even if it isn't running the turbo as will wedge the waste gate open for the MOT so as to pass emissions as it will be fuelling NA. then once on the road i can start playing with the fuelling.

Between us we can get it done tomorrow :p
Thanks given by:
Haha this isn't something im willing to rush, taking it slowly and enjoying a fun project. Unless your amazing at welding and you can do that for me
Thanks given by:
(27-12-2012, 09:54 PM)Fozzy Wrote: Haha this isn't something im willing to rush, taking it slowly and enjoying a fun project. Unless your amazing at welding and you can do that for me

My middle name is steel

Though I tend to prefer gum gum, ask Ruan, Curt and Fooby - I'm actually rather good at using it and can apply it to anything
Thanks given by:
In that case you wont be touching the downpipe lol. I have plenty of exhaust paste but im hoping not to need it.
Thanks given by: