Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Top end rebuild
#1
Ok so for my summer project, I'm going to do a bit of work on the spare head I have for my 1.8. Old mans going to give me a hand with it seeing as he used to do this sort of work for jaguars.
With the head off, this is a perfect opportunity to do all the shitty jobs as well as refurb the head.
Im trying to get a list together of what I need really. I've got on there all the simple things like cambelt kit, top end gasket set, new valves for the new head etc etc but what else should I look at doing?
Cheers guys!
Team Eaton


1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
#2
Why did your dad molest jaguars? What did they do to him?
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
#3
Connor Wrote:Why did your dad molest jaguars? What did they do to him?


Wouldn't you if they let you? Personally I don't see any problem with animal molestation providing you ask permission first......
Team Eaton


1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
#4
Port polish?
[Image: Foxy2.jpg]
#5
Foxy-jim Wrote:Port polish?

Getting done. Grinding out the ports as well as they are very restrictive on the 1.8 head.
Team Eaton


1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
#6
i dont know much about engine internals but can you not get fast road cams and fit them at the same time?
#7
SRowell Wrote:i dont know much about engine internals but can you not get fast road cams and fit them at the same time?

Requires a remap which on the 1.8, requires a new ECU as apparently the Sagem ECUs are shite to remap!
Team Eaton


1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
#8
While you've got the head off take the rest of it out and fit a 6 engine ninja
#9
Scott Wrote:While you've got the head off take the rest of it out and fit a 6 engine ninja

FYC..... That would be too easy!
Team Eaton


1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
#10
There are different types of cams, and some of them you can run without a remap!
[Image: Foxy2.jpg]
#11
And also much more win Wink It's a lovely car mate, just needs the right engine whistle

While I'm here, inb4 'lol u mean diesel'
#12
Oi it's got a good engine in thank you! Just because we're not all driving v6s....especially broken ones!!

Tbh even without a remap, they normally run pretty crap.
Fitting cams isn't the most difficult job so if I can ever afford a new ecu, might get some fast road cams
Team Eaton


1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
#13
Your couch! My V6 is like sex panther, it's illegal in 9 countries, and 60% of the time, it works everytime.
#14
Clearly Scott it isn't as good as the 306. And I'm also disapointed as you own a 306 owners club yet you clearly don't live for the 306! Shame on you!
Team Eaton


1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
#15
I'm thinking. Of doing this too. Buying a spare head soon Smile so going to give a clean up, port polish and renew all valves, clean the cams up etc Smile
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
#16
They run ok without a map! They may cut out occasionally but will be fine! Just dont go for the flat out rally cams just get fast road ones!
[Image: Foxy2.jpg]
#17
Iirc the head is very similar to the gti one but the 1.8 ports are triangular! I reckon if they were ground out it would give a fair bit more power.

Might look into a new ecu towards the end of the year. If I get that then cams are a big possibility.
Team Eaton


1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
#18
Good man! May aswell put throttle bodies on too then and save money on mapping it twice!
[Image: Foxy2.jpg]
#19
Nah don't want the stupidly loud noise. It would sound porn but would be impractical for me.....says the guy who's now got a stupid loud exhaust
Team Eaton


1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
#20
I cant wait to cam and throttle body mine!!!
[Image: Foxy2.jpg]
#21
Yeah easier for you. You need one less can than me lol
Team Eaton


1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
#22
Very true!
[Image: Foxy2.jpg]
#23
would an xsi head be a straight fit but with better flow as its less restrictive than the standard xs head ports must be very similar as they use the same inlet manifold
#24
Or even better could you put a gti head on it?
[Image: Foxy2.jpg]
#25
Nope xsi head has a 86mm bore and the XS is 83mm.
I'm not 100% sure what the ports are like on the xsi but i do know there is a lot of room for improvement with the XS head.
Team Eaton


1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
#26
Foxy-jim Wrote:Or even better could you put a gti head on it?

Same problem as the xsi head mate.
Team Eaton


1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
#27
Fair enough mate! I have the same problem with the bore if 1.6 heads being too big!
[Image: Foxy2.jpg]
#28
Foxy-jim Wrote:Fair enough mate! I have the same problem with the bore if 1.6 heads being too big!

Pretty certain you can use the rallye head from the 1.3 though Wink
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
#29
Already looked into this and it will be a pain in the arse as all the sensors need to be changed and I wont be able to use my ecu as its a 3-plug not a 1-plug.
[Image: Foxy2.jpg]
#30
Get new valve guides pressed in and use new valve stem oil seals while your at it.

Maybe slightly larger inlet valves if your going for power.


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 9 Guest(s)