A Street Sleeper is reborn! THE END

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Street Sleeper is reborn! THE END
(22-09-2014, 06:34 AM)306Dan Wrote: Great news, beats pulling the tank then finding out its the switch, how long till she's back on the road now?

she is on the road now, been on the road since I 1st put built the car. As this shell was taxed and tested already.
I am going to have to change the front brake calipers as one isn't working as it should, We think its sticking, just aswell I don't give it any hell or do that many miles.
Thanks given by:
did a bit today, some pre mot checks. Also did a bit of wiring and putting on a few jubilee clips on the engine, also found one for the fuel neck too.
Only thing is I am having a right f*ck on with getting the handbrake to bite! its holding the car, but when you test it, trying to pull away, the car just moves as though its not even on! But when you try and push the car, it wont move.
going to have another look again tomorrow if all is ok, and maybe stone chip underneath. All looks ok there, so if I can have a butchers with the stone chip, we maybe laughing!
I have ordered two new front brake callipers too, as I think these are sticking when they get harmed up, or one of them is.
Thanks given by:
sounds like a 306 handbrake then...... useless
Thanks given by:
(22-09-2014, 10:55 PM)306Dan Wrote: sounds like a 306 handbrake then...... useless

the 306 has better hand brake, than the metro, metros have one for show!
Thanks given by:
306 handbrake being useless is a myth....well its fact for anyone who doesnt set it up right.

Metro handbrake being good is a classic joke though! lol

Like the little Fiat Cinq's....we had one in at work once, replaced shoes, cylinders, cables and mechanism kit...still couldnt get it to pass the MOT min %. Had to use discretion in the end because there was nothing else to do!!!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
You know its bad when it's on the brake rollers and you have to use the brakes to assist the handbrake
Thanks given by:
(23-09-2014, 12:37 AM)Piggy Wrote: 306 handbrake being useless is a myth....well its fact for anyone who doesnt set it up right.

Metro handbrake being good is a classic joke though! lol

Like the little Fiat Cinq's....we had one in at work once, replaced shoes, cylinders, cables and mechanism kit...still couldnt get it to pass the MOT min %. Had to use discretion in the end because there was nothing else to do!!!!

(23-09-2014, 03:20 AM)306Dan Wrote: You know its bad when it's on the brake rollers and you have to use the brakes to assist the handbrake

metros eat hand brakes cables, This one is a new handbrake cable, had new shoes and adjusters too, basically the rears were overhauled last year.
Thanks given by:
ok did a few bits today, as I got little something in the post,
new front brake callipers,
also so better dust caps too,
[Image: 2014-09-26135417_zpsbd8c87bd.jpg]

[Image: 2014-09-26135410_zps71d25fd7.jpg]

the dust caps are to replace the ones on the suspension,

[Image: 2014-09-26140010_zpsc844868a.jpg]

[Image: 2014-09-26140720_zps3c8fa122.jpg]

what happens is these seize on to the ends, and are a bit of a bastard to get off, due to them only covering the top part of the valve, so with the new blue ones, the full valve threads are covered, which stops the water from getting in and seizing the cap on.

[Image: 2014-09-26140545_zps20294270.jpg]
done the same in the engine bay, plus these are well easier to remove too.

that's the size differences,
[Image: 2014-09-26141106_zps56bb08c1.jpg]

also my new front brake callipers, this is the driver side, as this one was the one we were suspecting, was sticking. Which it is was as the piston was shot to shit, the passenger side didn't look that much better either.
[Image: 2014-09-26172630_zpsa8d320be.jpg]
so those were swopped over and brakes bled again. I think I will need to change the pads as one looks more worn than the other, which may explain the ABS feel I get when I brake at high speed, The car does stop no bother mind, but I want to make sure its really good!
so I am going to look out for another set of pads.
Thanks given by:
bought yellow stuff pads for the front, as I think one of the driver side pads have had it, all 3 are ok but one is worn more.
Thanks given by:
Why not green stuffs?
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
(26-09-2014, 11:00 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Why not green stuffs?

those are like a standard pad now, I think the ones I have on the car are not really that good either. just the same as the OEM ones I used for testing tbh.
Thanks given by:
well this car is off the road, due to the failed mot, It failed on the sills and floor pans, looks like the car has had a makeup job on the sills, when the arches were put in, the floors were due to the age of it, again another make up job?
Toms306 joked about reshelling again, is it cheaper again to go through that again?
Who knows lol,
going to start pricing the panels up, but its safe to say it wont be on the road this side of xmas!
Thanks given by:
Bad luck pal. maybe you should get a heavy posh rover more metal to fight off the rust Wink
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
(02-10-2014, 04:50 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Bad luck pal. maybe you should get a heavy posh rover more metal to fight off the rust Wink

nah i am finished with rovers after this one, plus i would be going backwards instead Tongue
Thanks given by:
well today, I cracked on taking out the interior, just to see what the damage is,
so after work I got stuck in, took about 2 hrs.

last pick as a car
[Image: 2014-10-08122208_zpsab2578c5.jpg]

after wards,

[Image: 2014-10-08142136_zps8c19936a.jpg]

The best part the damage!
front floor pans,

[Image: 2014-10-08132309_zps1410887e.jpg]

[Image: 2014-10-08132322_zpsc7117c21.jpg]

rear floor pans

[Image: 2014-10-08132259_zps444766da.jpg]

[Image: 2014-10-08132330_zps333add89.jpg]

driver side sill.

[Image: 2014-10-08132346_zps48c16247.jpg]

the lad came out and had a look, £400 quid to fix the lot. the sill is the most expensive part.

so just got to sort out a sill and an arch panel for him, then its a case of budget.
Thanks given by:
Surely you can get a cheaper quote. Seems a bit pricey to me.
Thanks given by:
(09-10-2014, 02:46 PM)aggyj17 Wrote: Surely you can get a cheaper quote. Seems a bit pricey to me.

Its the sill that's going to cost, as that has to be painted.
Thanks given by:
I fired this up to day, just to see if its still alive, and it fired straight into life, as though it was used daily.
I am just pissed off that, its come to a stand still, I cannot even swop the coolant over to the waterless stuff, as I need a couple more bottles.
so been working a few extra days and hrs to try and get some extra doe for the two repair panels.
Thanks given by:
Missed the update on rust. Big shame.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(03-11-2014, 09:53 PM)Piggy Wrote: Missed the update on rust. Big shame.

piggy I was f*cking guttered, when the mot tester f*cking failed the car on all four corners and the driver side sill and inner arch.
he said that this car is a better car than the red one, well the red one didn't have 4 f*cking holes in the floor pans for a start!
sometimes I do wonder if I binned a better shell really.
I am very temped to buy a new welder and fuckin fix the floors so I can have the interior back in the car.
Thanks given by:
Buy mgf.
Cut floor pans out and swap them! Mid engined Metro ftw!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(03-11-2014, 10:04 PM)Piggy Wrote: Buy mgf.
Cut floor pans out and swap them! Mid engined Metro ftw!

mgf floor pans are different to the metro floors sadly, I did break an mgf for the odds and sods for the conversion.
Id just build a space framed metro and do a 6R4.
Thanks given by:
Hey Procta, just read through the whole thread and boy does it give me inspiration. Shame about the floors though. Where does that engine come from?

Great attention to detail and its great that your old man chips in too Smile
Thanks given by:
(17-11-2014, 06:29 PM)blaze_the_6 Wrote: Hey Procta, just read through the whole thread and boy does it give me inspiration. Shame about the floors though. Where does that engine come from?

this engine came out of a lotus elise originally, so its been looked after as its had its head ported and polished,
i wanted to keep the car as OEM and the installation as OEM as possible, so there was less Question marks of failures and other f*ck ups. Its worked out really, really well! Basically i treat the engine as a elise lump so its bang on. The rest of the car is treat like the Gta was, as it runs the gta setup. A few other bits and pieces get treat like an mgf.
My dad has been there since day one with the metro, and he has always come out to tinker on with me. We did do lot of late nights with the old one! He thinks both were topper little cars at the end of it, ( he has even had a bit of fun with them!)
Thanks given by:
(17-11-2014, 08:21 PM)procta Wrote:
(17-11-2014, 06:29 PM)blaze_the_6 Wrote: Hey Procta, just read through the whole thread and boy does it give me inspiration. Shame about the floors though. Where does that engine come from?

this engine came out of a lotus elise originally, so its been looked after as its had its head ported and polished,
i wanted to keep the car as OEM and the installation as OEM as possible, so there was less Question marks of failures and other f*ck ups. Its worked out really, really well! Basically i treat the engine as a elise lump so its bang on. The rest of the car is treat like the Gta was, as it runs the gta setup. A few other bits and pieces get treat like an mgf.
My dad has been there since day one with the metro, and he has always come out to tinker on with me. We did do lot of late nights with the old one! He thinks both were topper little cars at the end of it, ( he has even had a bit of fun with them!)

lol your dad is awesome. Why a Lotus engine though. Not taking the piss, just curious lol Lotus and Rover dont mix in my head. is it an easy swap. I already gathered that you knew your way around a spanner but f*** me, a lotus engine...... wow.
Thanks given by:
(17-11-2014, 08:30 PM)blaze_the_6 Wrote:
(17-11-2014, 08:21 PM)procta Wrote:

lol your dad is awesome. Why a Lotus engine though. Not taking the piss, just curious lol Lotus and Rover dont mix in my head. is it an easy swap. I already gathered that you knew your way around a spanner but f*** me, a lotus engine...... wow.

Just what I could get hold of at the time, As my old unit died on tick over, In fact a lot of lotus stuff is based on rover. The engine drops straight in but a bit of trickery with the engine wiring and your away, But with using the MGF gearbox, there is a lot of shite on cutting this and bodging that, We lost our tempers and build the fucker up in the back garden! It all lined up and to this day we haven't even cut or chopped anything!
Its a vicious little thing when you wind it up, youtube vvc metros, and you will see what they can do, best one is reylands metro.
Thanks given by:
I take it that is a 1.8 lump and well done, im very impressed. I get pissed off with my car sometimes too but tbh, its gone really well especially with someone of my skill level, but putting things back together is much harder than taking them apart Wink

oh and you talk of space, my gazebo is 3/4.5m and its a literal 10 minute pop up. its not permanent and I recommend it mate. Even if you dont have the space though, you have done some cracking work considering!
Thanks given by:
I may still look at the gazebo idea for next year if we are ever caught short, Yeah the project has tried to push me to bin it all, Putting it back together is the fun part, as that's what its all about! This time around I managed to do it all better, and its worked!
you wouldn't really think it was a 1.8 would you! Two chavs in a corsa that they would sit off the arse of it, Procta here showed them whos the boss! The driver was pure pissed off after been shown up by a 24 year old metro! Not the 1st time I have had to show people up mind!
Thanks given by:
I have just ordered off the two panels I need and I may have the budget to get this welded and sorted, just have to wait and see,
Thanks given by:
This is an ace looking little car

Top work Smile
[Image: signaturerrf_zps1c82612b.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hi, building VNT'd 205 Sleeper in Chesterfield... 399road 145 71,155 09-02-2019, 07:52 AM
Last Post: Chris_90
  Citroen Dispatch Sleeper Kind of.. Will 2 1,962 15-02-2017, 07:24 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  205 dt sleeper, engine in :) Paul_13 171 55,136 20-04-2015, 09:19 AM
Last Post: Paul_13