Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My first ever attempt at a light restoration
(19-11-2014, 05:48 PM)blaze_the_6 Wrote: Well guys, my range of Bilt Hamber products arrived today and I have a couple of questions.

The deox gel instructions say that the product must be washed off after a few hours, but I have seen many people on here claim to leave it on their cars for roughly 24 hours and seal in with cling film.

I believe in following manufacturer instructions but seeing enthuisiasts do the 24 hour stint makes me wonder what to do.

My second question is, I am using Bilt Hamber Electrox is a primer as stated earlier. I am still slightly confused as to if I can paint over original paintwork or strip the paint off the entire bay as I hoped to key it and paint over it.

Basically, the only parts of the engine bay that im attempting to return to bare metal is the rust patches, but the instructions state that the Electrox must be applied to clean steel.

If it helps my case in any way, my second coating will be 2k epoxy mastic.

Thanks peeps Smile

Lay the deox gel on nice and thick and put cling film over the top, if you can keep it shaded too even better, I've left it like this for 4 days once when I got really busy at work and still came off a treat with the hose pipe and a paint brush.
A tip with the hydrate 80 that a lot of people seem to forget is degrease the panel first otherwise it "fisheyes" of sorts and won't protect as well as it could.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: My first ever attempt at a light restoration - by 306Dan - 19-11-2014, 10:17 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diablo GTi6 restoration Joep83 2 2,331 27-09-2018, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Joep83
  S1 106 rallye. Restoration time! ozonehostile 244 100,796 10-01-2016, 04:00 PM
Last Post: ozonehostile
  Restoration xud11 akuma406 55 16,917 30-03-2015, 10:41 PM
Last Post: akuma406