Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My first ever attempt at a light restoration
(17-11-2014, 08:28 PM)procta Wrote:
(17-11-2014, 06:31 PM)blaze_the_6 Wrote:
(17-11-2014, 06:20 PM)procta Wrote: Its good to see that you saved her though to a very high standard. I always wanted to do the MG Metro turbo conversion on a the last phase of Rover Metro's.

I hear good things about the drive of a 306 so I cant wait to get ir dun. Just hope my rear quarter aint rusted through like some of the cars I have seen on on here :O

Maybe get a 6 next time bud but metro's are very rare and I bet they are like go karts Smile

its a unique motor to own plus its the same age as me Tongue

Oh and another thing, you are way more competent at working on cars than I am, so maybe you should take things to the next level and get yourself a wee MIG welder. Your car sorta reminds me of my old nova GSI rep with all the same body work issues as yours. Wish I saved it but didnt have a clue how or the money lol

They are very rare now, and they are a cracking piece of 80s/90s history. Novas i have to say are even rarer still than metros, back when i started off with metros 10 years ago, there were thin on the ground then! So god knows what they will be like now. You may step back to a nova, like i stepped back with a metro.
6 years ago, i decided why not have a go, at putting a car back on the road and going that extra step. Just a lot of photos and reading peoples threads on here too!
Have an idea on what you want this car to be, and don't steer away from it!
Remember do a bit at a time, and back off if things are going shite, also if things are going really well, but getting boring, stop and move on to another part of the car, maybe even interior or electrics.

thanks man, yeah I want my 6 to be really nice while going for the fairly standard finish. Im useless with electrics, hence the reason for labelling the whole loom. But I need to learn Smile

If I had my nova now, I would have sorted her out, although it was nothing compared to the 6 that I got now. It looked mint on the exterior and the GSI 1.6 lump was as sweet as a nut, but the previous owner undersealed the underside and trapped loads of moisture in. It did not last long.

When you look at fords and vauxhalls, you see a spec of rust on the exterior, then 9/10 the underside is FULL of rust! but I bought my 6 with no exterior rust thinking it would be mint underneath too. I cant weld or fabricate yet so what was originally meant to be an engine swap and exterior ding removal exercise turned in to as I call it, "a light restoration"

The price of the car and the rarity of it in scotland made me buy it though and im still happy I bought it.

I had a glance at the underside when it was parked in a shed and tbh, its all pretty good apart from some one using the floor as a jacking point Angry
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: My first ever attempt at a light restoration - by blaze_the_6 - 17-11-2014, 08:39 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diablo GTi6 restoration Joep83 2 2,266 27-09-2018, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Joep83
  S1 106 rallye. Restoration time! ozonehostile 244 99,048 10-01-2016, 04:00 PM
Last Post: ozonehostile
  Restoration xud11 akuma406 55 16,750 30-03-2015, 10:41 PM
Last Post: akuma406