Project Double-stock HDi - On hold pending removal of thumb from arse

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Project Double-stock HDi - On hold pending removal of thumb from arse
How have I missed this recently lol!!

Some serious progress there, not much to go now! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Looking good mate. I'll drop you a text later in the week about the weekend. Smile
Thanks given by:
All that's left now is interior loom and cut dash, one flange on the exhaust piping, a load of gaskets, half the coolant piping, oil return pipes/hoses, heatshields and the actual installation of the engine. Then it's a couple of hours to spend bolting suspension on and i can drive it!!!
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
No pics again = MASSIVE FAIL.
Just teasing us again
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Im sure this has already been answered but...TL;DR

What are you doing about mapping this? Are you doing it your self?
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Sorry for lack of pics, i've cracked the screen on my phone and it's completely unresponsive. I will get some when the new phone arrives.

Sod mapping it myself, i haven't got the time to learn at the moment. Steve of HDi-tuning.co.uk is mapping it up for me, as ever. I've got a base map that should be good for north of 170bhp, but won't be seeing all that power for the first 1000 miles while i bed her in.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
[attachment=20306]

[attachment=20307]
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Awesomes Smile
Thanks given by:
I havnt seen this for ages. But some good work going on here alex . I like what im seeing ThumbsUp

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Nice ThumbsUp is it running yet??
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Hahah still not running, having to spend this weekend doing a headgasket and cambelt instead thanks to unfortunate circumstances.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Haha which of the fleet has broken this time?
Thanks given by:
New addition to the fleet wasn't ready in time for when we needed it.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
It's probably about time i updated this properly, with an explanation of what i've been doing and post some pictures of things rather than stuff lol. I actually dreamt about driving this last night, so have decided i'm developing a problem and need to get it finished sharpish for the sake of my mental health. As such, i've sacked off my mature and sensible plans for today and instead dedicated it to making a serious push towards completion. Going outside now to make a start and take some pictures, will do a proper write-up later once i lose the daylight.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Looking forward to the results Big Grin
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Good lad poodle! Should be a nice day Smile
I did something very similar recently hence my change in direction with the project!

This will be a new 306oc project beast!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Was pretty chuffed to be presented with this at the Christmas meet at the beginning of this month:

[attachment=20790]

So now i've got to finish it, else they might take the trophy back. lol

I realised i've been blithely listing items dealt with and not really given any detail on anything, so for anyone interested here is a more complete breakdown of the fabrication work done so far.

The TD05 cold side needed a couple of mounting lugs chopped off for clearance and some sort of tube on the outlet that i can stick a silicone on. Once i'd taken the dremel to it i passed it on to Jim at RH Davey (Daveyboy on the '6 forum) who did this for me:

[attachment=20780]

Jim also welded up the egr outlet on the inlet mani elbow, which we then drilled and tapped for a boost take-off. We didn't have a suitable fitting, so instead we welded two fittings together and wound her in with mole grips.

[attachment=20786]

The GT17 also had a few extra bits of metal that were in the way, so out came the dremel again. As with the td05, i needed a way of getting a silicone to sit nicely and preferably a bead to hang on to, the next pic shows what we came up with. This was one of a few jobs taken on by Emma (other half of samass), hence it being neater than most other bits of the build. Big Grin

[attachment=20784]

Next up was gauge feeds for the exhaust side - emp and egt. As ever i was too cheap to buy proper fittings, so spent some time with a drill, tap, welder and brake pipe flaring tool. I had trouble finding a suitable flat surface for the screw-in fittings to seal against, so had to come up with alternatives. The egt probe came with fittings, so i opted to use those and when it came to tapping the thread in the manifold deliberately didn't run the tap all the way through. This means the thread is effectively taper-fit and seals nicely when would up tight. The next challenge was where to put it, as you can i was juggling between clearance to the intake mani runners and being able to get a tool to the cut-down exhaust stud nut.

[attachment=20788]

The emp gauge feed is particularly bodgetastic. I felt it would be a good idea to have some sort of cooling between the exhaust manifold take-off and the gauge in the cabin, i had a few old brake line fittings lying around which looked about right for the job. I cut the female end off an old flexi, drilled a hole in the mani piping and welded the bastardised fitting over the top. This meant we could simply make a copper coil from some brake pipe, bang a male fitting on and flare it.

[attachment=20791]
[attachment=20792]

Now i needed a way to get all these gauge feeds from the engine bay through to the cabin. For some reason I seem to have taken the photo before this was introduced to the holesaw, but you get the general idea, the top-left hole is the one we modified.

[attachment=20781]

You may remember me wanting to keep the coolant pre-heater and wanting to make it more effective. Well i mentioned i'd found dt plugs were a very similar size and shape and a little more powerful, these were duly swapped, next up was finding somewhere to put it. It was never going to fit on the gearbox now some bellend has put a couple of turbos up there and i reasoned the closer it is to the heater matrix the more effective it will be. A bit more hacking of coolant pipes, a length of copper piping, taking a drill to the bulkhead (for the 3rd or fourth time that day) and some abuse of the original mount ended up with this:

[attachment=20782]

More to come later, wasting sunshine.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Starting to look really good man! I expect a passenger ride in this when its all done Wink
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Looking good pal...
I'm going to be doing something very similar for my EMP!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Looking very good mate, how much of that was todays work?
Thanks given by:
Good stuff Poodle Smile
Thanks given by:
Love this project good work poodle wen u hopping to have her finished :-)
Thanks given by:
You can have a ride any time you want babe. Wink

None of it, Chris. lol This is all work that's been done over the last couple of months, i just haven't gotten around to writing any of it up.

Paddy, I've given up putting a date on it because every time i do something comes along to mess it up or i realise there's a ton of fabrication to do that i'd forgotten about lol. Soon!

Back to the job in hand...

Not sure if i mentioned it before, but somewhere along the line Jonny got busy with the welder and chocked the top engine mount.

[attachment=20802]
[attachment=20803]

I've got a vibratechnics lower mount to match and will be looking into stiffening up the gearbox mount too, more on that at a later date. We also filled up the lambda  port on the td05, finished the last section of manifold piping and permanently shut the internal wastegate on the gt17. I took the various bits of piping into work and pressure-tested them, then spent the next couple of evenings grinding out and re-welding all of the leaks. lol

At some point in the middle of this i decided to sort out the wiring. Haynes was invaluable for this, helped me confir exactly which wires lead where and what i could get away with chopping. Haven't taken much in the way of pictures as there's nothing to look at, but have spent some time cutting out redundant plugs and wires and extending the odd bit where necessary. Off the top of my head the only things i can remember that needed extending were the coolant pre-heater feed, coolant level sensor and engine loom power feed. Pre-heater was easy, it's just two big power feeds so they were duly extended. For the coolant level sensor i extended the power and signal wires and grounded to a new earth point. The main power feed was a bit more interesting, especially when i discovered auto-electrical suppliers want £15 or more for a sodding distribution post with insulated mount and £12/m for 35mm2 cable. A trip to the local welding suppliers (thanks again, Jim Davey) brought the cable down to less than half that per metre, and he crimped a 8mm terminal on one end for me. I quite like the quick-release terminals on the HDi, so a quick bit of work with the hacksaw and mole grips and i had half of it that crimped round the other end of the cable. The other half was combined with an old exhaust rubber, exhaust mani stud spacer and a jubilee clip to create a nice insulated distribution post that i can bolt to the slam panel.

[attachment=20804]

I've drilled yet another hole in the bulkhead to pass the power feed through and have made a rudimentary grommet out of some left-over oil drain hose. Speaking of which, the oil lines were a bit of a challenge. Lots of confusion on my part combined with some on the part of the supplier and lots of delays meant they took nearly six weeks to sort entirely. However, credit where credit is due, Pirtek Southampton were absolute stunners in the customer service stakes - they made several changes to the lines at my request without further charges, despite me and my order being a chronic pita. The end result is some very tidy oil feeds:

[attachment=20797]
[attachment=20796]

You can see the oil drain in that second picture too, this one's such a tight fit i've had to take chunks out of the gearbox webbing to keep it from rubbing everywhere.

[attachment=20798]

Fozzy dropped in again last weekend and installed the dash, dash loom and blower for me, just the steering column left to mess with in the cockpit now. This dash had a hacksaw taken to it back in spring, couldn't believe how much weight we managed to take out of it, although you can probably believe it to look at lol.

[attachment=20800]

I do believe that brings us to this weekend's work. I spent yesterday afternoon stripping out the rear of the car ready for making a battery tray and installing the flatbed. Which, incidentally, i've just remembered will need modifying to fit the three-door shell, yet another job to add to the list. Rolleyes

[attachment=20799]

I also took the wire-brush to the servo, it looked a mess and was letting the engine bay down after Fozzy's sterling work from a previous weekend. A few coats later and she's good as new.

[attachment=20801]

Today was spent generally tidying; making hose clips and protectors, trimming bits of the gearbox and turbo mount to help pipe routing, filing sharp edges off, replacing bungs and copper washers, etc. I also dismantled the exhaust piping for what will hopefully be the last time and started filing down the mating faces of the flanges - they all warped when we welded them up, some badly - another couple of hours needs spending on that yet before i'll be happy with it. We also need to cut out all the gaskets and find a few more suitable studs, nuts, bolts and washers before it can all go back together.

You never know, i might actually take pictures as i go, upload them and write about it in time for next weekend... I wouldn't bet on those odds though. Wink
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Getting there. Ill be driving past yours in the next two weeks with any luck to go to work so ill stop in and have a look/lend a hand providing that kettle goes on Wink
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Good work fella Smile

A BMW distribution box for the cabling can be had for a couple quid and look 10x better than that out of place bodge!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(28-12-2014, 11:16 PM)Piggy Wrote: Good work fella Smile

A BMW distribution box for the cabling can be had for a couple quid and look 10x better than that out of place bodge!!

They are a pretty generic thing to be had on T'Bay. Or if you can wait Alex, ill see what i can pick up at the suppliers for you.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Cheers Niall, the kettle's always on and help is always welcome. Smile If you can pick up a distribution post for cheaps that would be great, i refuse to pay more than a couple of quid on principle, it's just half an inch of threaded bar with a bit of plastic moulded on the end.

Out of place bodge? Don't read the rest of the thread, you'll have a heart-attack. Tongue My local scrappy likes to charge through the nose, it's just not worth the trip over there, I'd rather spend the money where it matters.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Looking great dude.

Really coming along now. Just shout if you want an extra body for a weekend.

I'll take a curry as payment Wink :p
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Haha done deal, just want it done now tbh. *beepbeepbeep*
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
hey poodle, just read throuh the whole thead, took some reading, but well worth it.
Ive got a mk2 vw golf project that ive hardly touched for ages, reading this has kinda made me want to get on and finish it.

I'll have to pop up and have a nose at your 306 at some point, was up your way earlier getting some nice cheap diesel from the eastleigh asda.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The "stock" S16 project Jonny81191 44 12,478 14-03-2015, 05:09 PM
Last Post: procta