MG ZR: Cams & Maps

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MG ZR: Cams & Maps
(16-09-2014, 01:22 PM)Toms306 Wrote: I remember having a brake job done on my first car at a garage.

Replace leaking cylinder.

Left the garage being told 'it'll need to bed in'...first junction hit the brakes not much happened, I cut someone up and got beeped. Assuming it'd get better I carried on. Tbf, the pedal did get slightly better after that, but then the brake light came on and it got considerably worse...hmm, checked fluid level, below minimum! Confused

Ended up taking it back, they said they gravity bled it but that obviously wasn't enough, needed to be pressure bled.

So I wouldn't take the garages word for doing a good job lol. Particularly if it was KwikFit who I haven't used since!

Gravity bled brakes? lol now i have heard everything!
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
Worryingly common practice tbh, Matt.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
ive got millers racing fluid in mine super dot4 Wink

[attachment=19077]
Thanks given by:
I'm running Halfords Dot 5.1

Anyway on to the important question, which is faster, this or Alie's Cuore?
Thanks given by:
(16-09-2014, 11:55 AM)Piggy Wrote: So pedal went to floor now you say on track?...thought you said earlier it went hard on track but wouldnt stop?
In all honesty I cannot remember all I can remember is pushing on the brakes and nothing happening. But just assuming it went to the floor as thats what it did with Niall afterwards and even now it goes quite far before properly biting

(16-09-2014, 12:27 PM)Poodle Wrote: Sounds like you've got a leak or dodgy components somewhere tbh mate, that or the garage did a seriously shit job of bleeding the brakes. I'd be inclined to look into that a bit further, it's fooking dodgy when the mc starts to go.
Been looking at the cost for a replacement M/C and it's ~£15, think I'll just swap it out for the sake of it when doing the fluid rather than do the fluid then find it needs doing again.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAKE-MASTER-C...3f2576d0da

(16-09-2014, 06:37 PM)cully Wrote: ive got millers racing fluid in mine super dot4 Wink
Does it need replacing more often than normal fluid ?Know if the ATE blue fluid is any good?
(16-09-2014, 07:27 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: I'm running Halfords Dot 5.1

Anyway on to the important question, which is faster, this or Alie's Cuore?
Probably the cuore lol Or at least it has more confident braking that this atm
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
(16-09-2014, 05:46 AM)Poodle Wrote: How come he needs to replace that Procta, i thought the car was running fine?

What happened when your brakes went Steve? Did the pedal go to the floor or did it go hard and ineffective? I assume it was the latter, as a pedal that goes to the floor tends to cause a lot more panic in a situation like that. lol Reason i ask is that i don't think you boiled the fluid, that 5.1 isn't very old. What pads is she running..?

K series engines poodle are a bit of a bastard to diagnose when they act up. Mine seemed ok, but wasn't really pulling well, until I changed those two.
Thanks given by:
That is a bit random lol.

Not sure about buying second-hand parts like that, Steve, i just meant have a damn good look for leaks, perished pipes, etc. Jonny swears by the ATE racing blue stuff.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(17-09-2014, 05:39 AM)Poodle Wrote: That is a bit random lol.

that's these engines for you, mine was pulling hard but not as hard as it should be, when I read about the black box of tricks, That controls 3 things, and if oxygen part isn't playing ball, the engine wont perform well.
The ecu sensor I mentioned too can make these run odd as well, as the ecu cannot work out what the temp is, sometimes if its really bad. it will kick the fan on.
( that's how I found out my engine wasn't well, as I have that system wired to a front fan, That kicked in before the rear fan did)
they are just an odd ball engine and highly strung,
Thanks given by:
So not so much of an update on the car just bled the brakes a couple more times, got loads of air out and pedal feels slightly better to me. a friend said it felt totally fine to them so perhaps its in my mind.

the problem now is everyday I'm falling in/out of love with it. I spend all day at work thinking what else I'd like to drive but then when I get out of work and walk towards it I smile because it stands out against the array of silver vaxhauls and Seats. But then 10 mins later I'm annoyed at the suspension and get home utterly confused.
Having moved from my parents to my own place now for work I'm going to have to update the insurance as its still for their place the problem is I did some benchmarks on confused.com and for my parents it's £900 but change it to my new address and it's £3500. Now I'm not with confused but if that's the reaction my insurance will have of tripling the annual cost it makes the zr even less appealing, especially when I could get a clio 182/civic type r for a confused price of 2k and a fiesta zetec s petrol or diesel for confused price of 900. I don't want to phone up the insurance company just yet in case they give me a price I cant afford Sad
Spent last night writing up a sales thread for the mg group and was ready to press post but couldn't there's a part of me who still loves it and feels disappointed I've let it down by not investing in it and making it the car it could be if I sorted the suspension and got a quality remap for it but the practical part of me knows I'll through a ton of money at but never see that come back as it is right now I am utterly confused

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
1st thing is to sort insurance.
Dont wana be a grinch but if you have a smack and the insurers note you are no longer residing at your folks...thats enough for them to say byebye.

Call them and ask how much it would change perhaps? Then make some calls to others...dont just use confused.com

But in other matters...if you feel you need to move on, then move on. Move on and buy a 306 Tongue
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I think a lot of your frustation with the car stems from the fact you don't have any money to spend on it at the moment, so something that would be on your to-do list is instead allocated to the pissing-me-off list. Wink Tbf to the car, if you had the money lying about most if not all of the problems would already be fixed.

That said, by the sounds of it you would do well to do some proper research into insurance before making a decision.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Yeh Steve its still a fast car. Easily comparable to the 1.8. What you need to do is give the whole situation time. You need to get the insurance sorted but try and shop around. Swapping cars may not help. My insurance is cheap as its at my parents in the country side. The car spends the majority of its time there as i work from home 3/4 days a week.

Just give it time buddy and keep at it. Unless you want to get a 306... in that case get rid Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(29-09-2014, 11:55 AM)lolsteve Wrote: So not so much of an update on the car just bled the brakes a couple more times, got loads of air out and pedal feels slightly better to me. a friend said it felt totally fine to them so perhaps its in my mind.

the problem now is everyday I'm falling in/out of love with it. I spend all day at work thinking what else I'd like to drive but then when I get out of work and walk towards it I smile because it stands out against the array of silver vaxhauls and Seats. But then 10 mins later I'm annoyed at the suspension and get home utterly confused.
Having moved from my parents to my own place now for work I'm going to have to update the insurance as its still for their place the problem is I did some benchmarks on confused.com and for my parents it's £900 but change it to my new address and it's £3500. Now I'm not with confused but if that's the reaction my insurance will have of tripling the annual cost it makes the zr even less appealing, especially when I could get a clio 182/civic type r for a confused price of 2k and a fiesta zetec s petrol or diesel for confused price of 900. I don't want to phone up the insurance company just yet in case they give me a price I cant afford Sad
Spent last night writing up a sales thread for the mg group and was ready to press post but couldn't there's a part of me who still loves it and feels disappointed I've let it down by not investing in it and making it the car it could be if I sorted the suspension and got a quality remap for it but the practical part of me knows I'll through a ton of money at but never see that come back as it is right now I am utterly confused

That's because its a heavy posh rover :p see you should have gotten a proper rover Tongue
if you want to sell the heavy thing on I can try and ask a few metro cup lads if they have any info on anyone wanting a posh rover for the ZR160 cup.
Thanks given by:
I know how you feel, I worked it out last night that I spend £2000~ on tax/mot/insurance/fuel for my Nissan a year and £3300~ on my Punto tax/mot/insurance/fuel a year.

After number crunching I'm not particularly feeling too happy about an £5,300 out going..

The DERV-Bus needs reviving.

Get a DTub, sack off the Rover, smile away.

Never liked it anyway being perfectly honest (the Rover, not your particular one, just the model, shape, etc). Tongue

Your wallet will thank you.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Phone the insurers, I really cant see it triple just because of the area. Just say you're thinking about moving and just want a quote,.

As for potentially selling it though, I actually like your ZR, best colour imo and not been chavved (any more than standard lol), and I dont usually like ZRs lol.

Just gotta work out whether its worth spending the money on to you, or if you'd be happier with a different car... The fact you say it stands out to you in a car park and couldn't post the for sale thread seem to show you'd prefer to keep it... What I would say is don't get caught up on costs...no point saving a relatively small amount of money per year but driving something you hate (from my own experience with the 107!).
Thanks given by:
steve how old are you?
Thanks given by:
Steve. Man up, and let's make it the car it could be. We have skills and every tool under the sun at my place. With a few light chassis tweaks and some engine work it will be a beast.
JP
Thanks given by:
(29-09-2014, 04:44 PM)procta Wrote: steve how old are you?

he drives a rover so at least 50 id say.
Thanks given by:
Around my age ish from memory so early 20s I think.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
(29-09-2014, 05:18 PM)SRowell Wrote:

he drives a rover so at least 50 id say.

At least it's not beige like my 400 was back in 1996...that looked like a PROPER old man's car, and I was only 20.
Thanks given by:
He's 22... It says on his profile. Tongue
Thanks given by:
(29-09-2014, 06:11 PM)Toms306 Wrote: He's 22... It says on his profile. Tongue

that explains the high insurance then, if he is 22,
Thanks given by:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1999-ROVER-200...27ecd63231

Do eeeeeett. Then you'd be a connoisseur and not a boy racer Tongue It'd be sat outside my road if I wasn't getting wed!
Team hand-painted-commercial Vehicle
Thanks given by:
Thats a good buy ^^^^^

Just wants some exterior styling and a lowering smack
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Steve youll be f*cked off with whatever you buy, the FZS is 40 BHP less than the rover and if you go for a mk6/7 the same weight as a 306 and the CTR is an awesome car but do you really want to swap just to find the same problems that you've already fixed?

Check online and see what the difference in postcode risks are between your parents and your new place and I take it you've gone from driveway parking to street parking so expect an increase. I think when I moved here on what was a £600ish premium it was a £30-40 saving and that was changing form a D to a C and driveway to private car park but also from parents house to homeowner
Thanks given by:
(29-09-2014, 12:05 PM)Piggy Wrote: 1st thing is to sort insurance....
Sorting it today, havent enjoyed driving around knowing it's incorrect but having just moved into a place and being the only one with a job (ladysteve has one now though) all the immediate costs have fallen on me and I've been worried about them hiking the price up dramaticly

(29-09-2014, 12:17 PM)Poodle Wrote: I think a lot of your frustation with the car stems from the fact you don't have any money to spend on it at the moment...
It is, cheap tyres, crappy springs and sloppy gear linkage all wind me up now it's a daily but totalling up the cost to fix that will an extra £600-800 money I feel could be put towards a better car from standard. Although better cars normally means ones too advanced/cramped for me to work on (clio 182)

(29-09-2014, 12:32 PM)SRowell Wrote: Yeh Steve its still a fast car. Easily comparable to the 1.8....
I'm halfway through the year though so if i switch I'll loose my NCB, wouldnt mind if it was a month but April is renewal date Sad

(29-09-2014, 03:13 PM)procta Wrote: if you want to sell the heavy thing on I can try and ask a few metro cup lads if they have any info on anyone wanting a posh rover for the ZR160 cup.
If it comes to it I'd appreciate it Smile Would rather it go to someone who'd use it for what I wanted it to be rather than someone who will stick a big MG sticker on the side

(29-09-2014, 03:26 PM)silverzx Wrote: I know how you feel, I worked it out last night that I spend £2000~ on tax/mot/insurance/fuel for my Nissan a year and £3300~ on my Punto tax/mot/insurance/fuel a year.

After number crunching I'm not particularly feeling too happy about an £5,300 out going..

The DERV-Bus needs reviving.

Get a DTub, sack off the Rover, smile away.

Never liked it anyway being perfectly honest (the Rover, not your particular one, just the model, shape, etc). Tongue

Your wallet will thank you.
That is a fair bit of money to be forking out a year. I switch between liking it because its a bit loud etc and hating it because it gives people a bad impression of me
(29-09-2014, 03:54 PM)Toms306 Wrote: As for potentially selling it though, I actually like your ZR, best colour imo and not been chavved (any more than standard lol), and I dont usually like ZRs lol.

Just gotta work out whether its worth spending the money on to you, or if you'd be happier with a different car... The fact you say it stands out to you in a car park and couldn't post the for sale thread seem to show you'd prefer to keep it... What I would say is don't get caught up on costs...no point saving a relatively small amount of money per year but driving something you hate (from my own experience with the 107!).
Thank you, in terms of costs in its defence it has been very low. only the headgasket and even then with belts etc that was ~£200 but insurance will tell I suppose

(29-09-2014, 04:49 PM)jammapic Wrote: Steve. Man up, and let's make it the car it could be. We have skills and every tool under the sun at my place. With a few light chassis tweaks and some engine work it will be a beast.
I really want to Sad It deserves to be what it should be

(30-09-2014, 05:54 AM)Pete Wrote: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1999-ROVER-200...27ecd63231

Do eeeeeett. Then you'd be a connoisseur and not a boy racer Tongue It'd be sat outside my road if I wasn't getting wed!
Haha annoyingly it's probably faster than mine too

(30-09-2014, 07:33 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Steve youll be f*cked off with whatever you buy, the FZS is 40 BHP less than the rover and if you go for a mk6/7 the same weight as a 306 and the CTR is an awesome car but do you really want to swap just to find the same problems that you've already fixed?

Check online and see what the difference in postcode risks are between your parents and your new place and I take it you've gone from driveway parking to street parking so expect an increase. I think when I moved here on what was a £600ish premium it was a £30-40 saving and that was changing form a D to a C and driveway to private car park but also from parents house to homeowner

If I got a tdci though I could remap and get it to stage 1 power and £30 road tax. But like you say I could just end up finding new problems Sad
postcode wise im going from B to F. its not on street its like off street parking in a housing complex

Thanks given by:
Also a friend of mine has a 1.4 306 for sale as he's moving to London and can't take it with him so if the Zr has to go then I'll be back in a 306 temp car haha

Thanks given by:
(30-09-2014, 05:54 AM)Pete Wrote: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1999-ROVER-200...27ecd63231

Love it !
Thanks given by:
Well looks like the Zr will be going , insurance got back to be they want an additional £570 for the remaining 6 months Sad

Thanks given by:
Ouch. Bet they will give you a nice fee for cancelling though Undecided

That 1.4 306 is sounding a better idea rather quick!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by: