Dum-Dums VNT 2.1TD OEM+ Bianca Estate. (loads of pics and video now added)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dum-Dums VNT 2.1TD OEM+ Bianca Estate. (loads of pics and video now added)
Where did you get the sheet steel from? And is there any more Tongue
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
He cut it off your car Matt. If you are lucky, there may be a bit left if you need it Wink
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Glad you've got some engine bits improved, still got loads to go though ;-)

How many psi is it running out of interest?
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(30-03-2014, 04:54 PM)Matt Wrote: Where did you get the sheet steel from? And is there any more Tongue
Local fabricators. Got them to cut it to size and make sure it was square etc. Only got the bit for the drivers side for now but I'll go and buy a bit for the passenger side when I get a chance. Its 530x400x3mm

(30-03-2014, 07:10 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: Glad you've got some engine bits improved, still got loads to go though ;-)

How many psi is it running out of interest?
Still a good bit to go, currently hitting 15psi, maybe a little more but it feels massively restricted, when I tried it wouldn't even hit 70mph in 3rd. Defo better with today's new fuel filter.
Thanks given by:
Still only half way there at 15 psi :-P
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
air filter off, drop the exhaust....watch her pull then Smile
Thanks given by:
Well as weirdly I hadn't updated this in a while I have been playing with the tuning and its quick and coaling like f*ck now. Desperately needs the FMIC fitting as the inlet temps are getting huge (like cant touch the inlet and piping after a drive). I have had her up as far as 22psi at times which is close to where Zack had her so feeling good. Need a bit more fine tuning though especially to sort my 1300rpm idle and try and remove the smoke but keep the power.

Also I have fitted a relay that my loom was missing and I got off Mitch and low and behold it appears my glow plugs are now actually working without a thick bit of cable hooked over them to the battery.
Thanks given by:
Smoke will go if you fit a Fmic mate. Big temps kill power.
JP
Thanks given by:
So got the drivers bucket in today. The subframe plate is drilled to make it adjustable so I can have it solid mounted as I wasn't a fan of the sliders that came with the seats.

You can see it here on my makeshift workbench as my actual work bench is covered in car parts and tools.
[attachment=15275]

I used a rear bench seat belt plug to take the belt so that all works
[attachment=15277]

Here they are fitted, really comfy, would still love to sit a few inches further back but then nobody could sit behind me even with tiny feet.
[attachment=15276]
[attachment=15278]

And from the back, you can see they arent central to the steering wheel still, bloody peugeot design. Still closer than standard seats though and look far better too.
[attachment=15279]
Thanks given by:
ive fitted mine too! pita not being central, but for me to mainstain being sat low i had to shift it slightly,or make a stupid subframe lol. you not using the original pretensioner?
Thanks given by:
Seats look great Chris !!!!!

Is that seatbelt legal Chris, shouldn't it have a pretensioner just like std as it's safety gear??
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
Wouldnt have a pretensioner if I had a harness?
Thanks given by:
Seats look awesome dude.

I know it's not a legal requirement to have pre-tensioners, but they could be easily retro-fitted. We did it with nialls just fine...
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
yeah i wasonly asking as i retrofitted some Smile
Thanks given by:
Sooooo, it's probably time to put an update in with this. The car has been a little neglected of late with me training for a Triathlon among other things. Shes decided shes not gonna play ball at the minute and I'm waiting on parts that wont get here till monday but Ill explain that with pics.

Anyway it's suddenly dawned on me that I have rather alot to do before FCS as I'm gonna be on the track so I need to remove the rear thermostat, replace the lower hose with a ph1 item and then a ph1 rad. Fit a FMIC and re tune the pump again. I also probably need to get a tyre changed and do both wishbones but I'm gonna steal the ones out the pile of rallye parts as I have Partner 800 P-bushes for them. Then I need to tidy up some bodywork, stop the roof leaks, fit the passenger bucket, stop the fuel tank leak and hopefully if time allows fit bigger fuel lines and sort the exhaust leak (although it looks like turbo elbow so might get left)

Tomorrow I'm gonna sort the coolant and air systems so remove a stat, change a bottom hose, change the rad and then fit the FMIC and fan.

So as the fuel system was a little bit of a lash up from when I built the car the filter was a random inline one I had kicking about so after a few hundred miles of veg when it needed changed I had a bit of a hunt through Halfords selection and came up with a HFF215 which has 8mm in and out and is about £3.50 on trade.
[attachment=16109]
[attachment=16110]

Anyway part of the lash up was the primer bulb that I'd had for a few years and used for pumping fluids into things (like the cabby roof reservoir). I know it was cheap when I bought and this decided to show first thing on a sunday morning. Essentially the car cut out and wouldnt restart until i removed the fuel filter. I assumed as the car wasn't sucking fuel properly that it was either the pump or a blockage in the lines. I could see there was only a trickle in the return line.

Anyway after fitting a new filter to see if it would run with a filter I got 300 yards up the road before it cut then coasted into a space. Anyway a few days later I got a bottle of diesel and a short bit of line and got the car running. Every time I pumped the primer I could hear the air and when it was running the amount of air bubbles running back up into the Irn Bru bottle was phenomenal as well as it being pretty much foam going down the return line. Anyway drove the car back just then decided to fix the grenade. Removed the spiral metal over it and replaced with jubilee clips, Easy (or so I thought). Got it plumbed back in and tried priming it up, que face full of diesel. The clip had split the bulb.
[attachment=16111]
[attachment=16112]

Anyway spoke to ECP (the only decent parts place in town) and a replacement is £15 even on trade! f*ck that, went hunting for a cheaper one and screwfix do draper ones at £8 so I can collect that on monday. On the subject of cheap I also found fresh veg at 50ppl!
[attachment=16113]
Thanks given by:
try a local independent motor factors for primer bulb - ecp are way over on their pricing for one. my local down the road is a much more reasonable £5/£7 ish for one.
Thanks given by:
Such an important piece of equipment to have on the car and always so damn temperamental...glad to see it's all sorted. and loving that front seat Smile
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
I got one on ebay, but a 12mm one for my 10mm lines as its restrictive internally.
About £7 I think inc postage. Very well made.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(11-05-2014, 08:57 AM)zx_volcane Wrote: try a local independent motor factors for primer bulb - ecp are way over on their pricing for one. my local down the road is a much more reasonable £5/£7 ish for one.
Yeah I looked but theres no other decent factors in town. Even the ECP bloke was surprised at how expensive they were.

(11-05-2014, 09:14 AM)ginge191 Wrote: Such an important piece of equipment to have on the car and always so damn temperamental...glad to see it's all sorted. and loving that front seat Smile
Yeah, I probably need to keep a spare in the garage (or in the boot actually) for when it next goes but I'll hopefully be on bigger fuel lines by then.

(11-05-2014, 11:42 AM)Piggy Wrote: I got one on ebay, but a 12mm one for my 10mm lines as its restrictive internally.
About £7 I think inc postage. Very well made.
Yeah ebay ones are a good price but I had no money in my paypal.
Thanks given by:
So had a productive day (well afternoon (well 3 hours)). Got the old rad off, lower coolant hose and got the thermostat out which was a mission on its own as all the bolts were impossible to get at and massively long. I then cut the pas pump off with the 9" grinder as all the bolts were rounded and fitted the ph1 lower rad hose which was a massive ballache as the 306 hoses are all smaller than the 2.1 outlet. Initially there was no chance of it going over but after soaking it in boiling water and covering everything with washing up liquid I managed to get it on with a bit of leverage.

Anyway it started to rain so I gave up and this is how she sits now. Just gotta fit the ph1 rad and FMIC tomorrow then if theres time fit the new priming grenade and tune the pump up some more Smile

[attachment=16144]
Thanks given by:
Not so fond memories of trying to get that bottom hose on when the engine went in, what a ballache of a thing!
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
I left the 2.1 hose on the 2.1 rear fitting and used a connector along the chassis leg Wink
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(11-05-2014, 07:18 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: Not so fond memories of trying to get that bottom hose on when the engine went in, what a ballache of a thing!
Yeah a bitch of a job, even worse with the car on the floor and 4000 miles worth of diesel/veg/engine oil/pas fluid and now CV grease all over EVERYTHING.

(11-05-2014, 07:23 PM)Piggy Wrote: I left the 2.1 hose on the 2.1 rear fitting and used a connector along the chassis leg Wink
Now that would of been the sensible option wouldn't it. Shut it you.
Thanks given by:
Well the car is almost back together Smile

Spent another few hours on it today and again rain (and hail and lightning) has stopped play.

So got the ph1 rad on and a fan mounted to it with cable ties (easy job) got the rad hoses on and moved on.
[attachment=16167]

Didnt have alot of strip/sheet lying around but did find these brackets and "measured up ", drilled and bolted them to the car. Somehow they were right first time.
[attachment=16168]

Got the cooler mounted to them and then bolted with a single bolt at the top then piped them all up. Really annoyed that the U bend I had to replace (drivers side of cooler) was a short leg one as it means that the run across the top needs a tiny joiner to make it long enough to reach the other U bend, its just another place to leak from and looks shit.
[attachment=16169]

The rest of it piped up without any issue.
[attachment=16170]

Anyway want to start topping it with water, got about a liter in and realised I was getting a wet foot. ARSE! Anyway it was the ph1 main rad connector at the bottom. I hate those f*ckers. Anyway had a look and the o ring wasn't seated properly, seated it properly, poured another liter in and got another liter on my foot. Not impressed by this point. Third time lucky, took it apart, seated it properly put a cable tie round it and guess what.... Yep, another liter of water on my foot. Took it apart, wasn't going to be doing that again so dried it all off and covered it all in silicone that is currently drying (hopefully). Leak through that motherfucker!

On a side note I fitted a new fuel grenade with a short length of hose so I can start her from a bottle of pure diesel. She is ready to start as soon as she decides to hold her coolant. Think I'm gonna take the front bumper back off and screw the stupid splitter to her just for lolz
Thanks given by:
Good work lad.
Those connections are absolutely stupid.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(12-05-2014, 06:00 PM)Piggy Wrote: Good work lad.
Those connections are absolutely stupid.
Yeah an utter pain in the arse. If it continues I'm gonna just araldite in a bit of ally pipe/joiner and use a jubilee clip.

If it holds off raining just a little longer I'm gonna go and whip the bumper back off and run a tap down the bolts and a die over the studs as they are rusty and stiff. Might even whack the washer bottle back on. Don't think I'm gonna drive her tonight now so will leave filling the rad till tomorrow, give the silicone a proper chance to dry.
Thanks given by:
Not sure what your connector is like but that connector on my rallye has been the bane of my life since charging. Blown off about 3 times in the garage and once at 60mph. Bloody wank design, what's up with a jubilee? Changed the hose in the end.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
(12-05-2014, 08:02 PM)C2K Wrote: Not sure what your connector is like but that connector on my rallye has been the bane of my life since charging. Blown off about 3 times in the garage and once at 60mph. Bloody wank design, what's up with a jubilee? Changed the hose in the end.

Yeah that'll be the one. Every time one annoys me I say I'm gonna modify one then it seems to decide to work before i get round to doing the mod. Hateful bloody things.
Thanks given by:
Not the best looking fmic installation fella but if it holds until you can get some better pipes etc then it serves the purpose Smile

How much to get it finished now bud?
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
(12-05-2014, 08:25 PM)devils_fuel Wrote: Not the best looking fmic installation fella but if it holds until you can get some better pipes etc then it serves the purpose Smile

How much to get it finished now bud?

It'll look alot better when I get a longer legged U bend. and then get to re jig it slightly.

Left I've gotta tap/die the bumper bolts then refit the bumper (its already been trimmed) and theres only 1 bolt each side. Put the washer bottle back in (2 bolts a pipe and a plug), fill and bleed the coolant system, cable tie some pipes out of harms way then decide if I fancy tuning the pump more. That really is it.

Might trim down the front plate top and bottom for better air flow to the cooler.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stage1 to 3? Because stage2 is for pussies..now with pics for added goodness toseland 49 31,214 31-10-2016, 11:00 AM
Last Post: toseland
Heart Dum-Dums Bianca GTi6 Dum-Dum 516 357,911 30-08-2014, 08:54 PM
Last Post: Dum-Dum
  The 2.1TD Bianca Sedan - Dum-Dums Project Cheap Dum-Dum 330 160,348 21-01-2013, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Dum-Dum