Posts: 4,926
Threads: 266
Joined: Dec 2011
Reputation:
18
Location: Somerset
Car Model/Spec: 205 DTurbo
On the phone and can't find the thread which mentions about modifying the fuel filter housing.
I want it so the fuels always heated and swear I remember seeing someone say that you don't need to mess about with bonding penny's etc! If anyone could enlighten me on the matter id appreciate it a lot!
Also is there anything else worth adapting whilst I'm at it?
Posts: 1,497
Threads: 177
Joined: Dec 2011
Reputation:
3
Location: Highlands, Scotland
03-01-2014, 09:59 PM
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2014, 10:00 PM by Daniel306.)
Iv done it, that first link explain it. Getting the white plastic bit out can be hard but once its out the rest is easy, cut it in half and hammer a penny in the hole then put back together
Posts: 208
Threads: 34
Joined: May 2013
Reputation:
1
Location: Cornwall
Car Model/Spec: 306 1.9
Does it help much when running 100% veg?
I'm struggling to see the advantages of doing it? Im currently on 100% veg, fresh glow plugs and she starts fine and hasnt looked to not start yet this winter.. revs fluctuate for like 2 mins when idling then its fine,
Did you notice a difference after or no?
Posts: 1,497
Threads: 177
Joined: Dec 2011
Reputation:
3
Location: Highlands, Scotland
Moding the filter housing like that wont help starting, it works off the coolant so it cant do anything with a cold engine
Posts: 746
Threads: 49
Joined: Dec 2013
Reputation:
2
Location: Pie eating land.
Car Model/Spec: 306 HDI Estate + 205 HDI
I've done it and tbh didn't see a lot of difference. I mix 10% petrol in with the WVO during winter which does help as the viscosity drops, plus apparently the oil ignites quicker in the cylinder.
Like a dong I managed to snap the water sensor in the housing, covered it in resin which eventually leaked so I don't use it at all now.
With good plugs, no air ingress and longer pre glow it starts and runs fine.
Posts: 1,748
Threads: 41
Joined: Dec 2011
Reputation:
12
Location: Midlands
Car Model/Spec: Dtractor
The injection pump sends most of its fuel back down the return to the swirl pot in the fuel tank. Once this fuel is relatively warm as it circulates then a fuel heater is not needed. Only time doing this mod would be necessary is if you were to remove the swirl pot in the tank.
Posts: 223
Threads: 28
Joined: Oct 2012
Reputation:
3
Personally I found it stops the fuel filter plugging due to a build up of fats that can drop out in colder weather (really only applicable to WVO). Fuel temperature outputs at around 40-45 degrees which is perfect, as you can still blend petrol and not worry about vapour lock like you would get with a full FPHE. It really is a simple mod and you can seal up all the areas that tend to let in air while you are there, no reason not to do it. As I recall a 10c euro coin is a perfect fit.
'95 Peugeot 405 GLX with XU10J4RS and ITB's
'97 Peugeot 406 1.9TD with TD04
'05 RenaultSport 182 Cup
Posts: 217
Threads: 17
Joined: Dec 2011
Reputation:
0
Location: Romania
Car Model/Spec: 306 Sedan PH1 XUD7TE Dturbo
About running 100% on derv, is it ok to keep diesel cooler or hotter for better efficiency?