Ran out of fuel for the first time D:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ran out of fuel for the first time D:
Well, how much heavier is an estate to a 3-door? Can't be a great deal more than 100kg.

I have a stage 1 map (apparently) and give the car hell everywhere I drive, I've killed the clutch off recently by doing so. The absolute worst I could get was during a recent cold-snap where I spent a lot of time stuck in traffic - 48mpg. An average tank lasts 580-something miles before I fill up, but there's always a gallon left in there (52-54 liters goes in).

I honestly don't know how people get any less!
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
The estate weighs about 1200kg, so yeah about 100kg difference, however being an estate its more likely the stuff inside it that reduces mpg more than the extra overhang at the back. 100bhp/tonne isnt really enough imo, especially without any earodynamics, cruising gear or cruise control, and obviously anything extra inside reduces that power:weight even further. It always feels like its struggling and 'cant be arsed' tbh, both mine and Rowells felt the same so its not just that mines broken in this case, but maybe its because I got used to a car that didn't struggle...until I ruined it with a big laggy turbo.

However, I've got an idea the Y reg HDis had a slight management change, to make sure the emmisions were low enough for the 'new' tax system. Could be completely wrong but all the high mpg HDis seem to be newer ones (yours, Kezzieboys, oil-burners, etc) which are all Ys. Might just be a coincidence though.
Thanks given by:
If you want to see bad mpg's you should have seen our old car.

2.8 v6 ford galaxy its got the vw vr6 engine in it. Average mpg on a daily basis used to be 15-20mpg on a good day and if you went anywere quick you wer looking at 10mpg max

There are supercars that do better than that.

The best i ever got out of that woz 25 mpg on the motorway with cruse control on at 70mph.
when in doubt...... flat out.
Thanks given by:
(27-02-2013, 09:14 AM)Toms306 Wrote: The estate weighs about 1200kg, so yeah about 100kg difference, however being an estate its more likely the stuff inside it that reduces mpg more than the extra overhang at the back. 100bhp/tonne isnt really enough imo, especially without any earodynamics, cruising gear or cruise control, and obviously anything extra inside reduces that power:weight even further. It always feels like its struggling and 'cant be arsed' tbh, both mine and Rowells felt the same so its not just that mines broken in this case, but maybe its because I got used to a car that didn't struggle...until I ruined it with a big laggy turbo.

However, I've got an idea the Y reg HDis had a slight management change, to make sure the emmisions were low enough for the 'new' tax system. Could be completely wrong but all the high mpg HDis seem to be newer ones (yours, Kezzieboys, oil-burners, etc) which are all Ys. Might just be a coincidence though.

Mines W reg!
Just service your car I'm sure you'll start to see a bit more economy out of it, you are either driving it incredibly wrong or the car is broken
Thanks given by:
Surely coincidence seeing as mine has a remap?

Regardless, they serve a purpose - they're cheap and economical. Are they as economical as a car which costs twice as much on the used market? No, but you would have to do some serious mileage to outweigh those costs.

A 306 HDi is shed money. A used VW is a ripoff.

Regarding the extra weight thing you mention - this is also total bollocks. Once a car is moving it matters very little how much it weighs. The 406 Hdi with the same 90hp engine? 55-60mpg, 1350kg.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
(27-02-2013, 09:23 AM)vlj Wrote:
(27-02-2013, 09:14 AM)Toms306 Wrote: The estate weighs about 1200kg, so yeah about 100kg difference, however being an estate its more likely the stuff inside it that reduces mpg more than the extra overhang at the back. 100bhp/tonne isnt really enough imo, especially without any earodynamics, cruising gear or cruise control, and obviously anything extra inside reduces that power:weight even further. It always feels like its struggling and 'cant be arsed' tbh, both mine and Rowells felt the same so its not just that mines broken in this case, but maybe its because I got used to a car that didn't struggle...until I ruined it with a big laggy turbo.

Mines W reg!
Just service your car I'm sure you'll start to see a bit more economy out of it, you are either driving it incredibly wrong or the car is broken

It had a fresh service when I bought it as the owner couldn't find the service info...everything seemed clean, then I found out it had only been 3 months before (papers were stuck together in the SH) so that was a waste as well.

It's well beyond servicing/fixing now though. But thats for another thread, I'll stop filling Sams thread with shit now.

(27-02-2013, 09:27 AM)C.A.R. Wrote: Surely coincidence seeing as mine has a remap?

Regardless, they serve a purpose - they're cheap and economical. Are they as economical as a car which costs twice as much on the used market? No, but you would have to do some serious mileage to outweigh those costs.

A 306 HDi is shed money. A used VW is a ripoff.

Regarding the extra weight thing you mention - this is also total bollocks. Once a car is moving it matters very little how much it weighs. The 406 Hdi with the same 90hp engine? 55-60mpg, 1350kg.

But remaps aren't all the same though, if they used a 'better' system on the newer ones (not sure what numbers they used for those) then a remap shouldn't make it worse, better if anything! I don't really understand exactly how ECUs and maps work though, so I could be wrong.

Its not just the poor economy though, its the fact the tax on mine costs £220 a year...thats more than scrap value of the car! And costs more to insure than a golf or mondeo for some reason (seen as boy racer cars I guess). Then theres all the parts that need replacing, parts on thier own are a little cheaper most of the time for peugeots, but labour is still the same for things that need doing at a garage (I can't weld, I cant change bearings, I have no space to change a clutch), and in my experience they do break much more often, and get through a lot more wear and tear items as well, maybe I'm just unlucky and everything happens when the car gets to me due to the crap roads round here and the salty sea air rusting things, but thats just my experience.

And its getting the weight to move thats the issue, always seem to be on the throttle, and round town/villages with extra weight it's all stop start so terrible economy there.

As said above, thats now the last I'm saying on the subject.
Thanks given by:
I took fuel light roulette to another level before I got the 306, bought a £300 saxo vtr which ended up having no fuel gauge, made driving really fun......
Thanks given by:
mine easily does 650 miles on a tank and thats with a stage2+ map!
Thanks given by:

and then i replaced my MAF sensor and it was a lot faster and more economical!

And sean how the hell are you getting 650 out of a tank!

I dont drive round with anything in it apart from me, some jackets and a sub and tiny amp. Its had a second MAF put on it which improved things and all the tyres pressures are at 35 which is what they are meant to be? Its not as if i drive it particularly hard. I guess its because i do 260 miles on the motorway and the rest is all in town driving! If i was on motorway from start to finish im sure i could get about 580 out of it. Cant think of any reason why it shouldnt be getting 650. 150 miles difference just because im doing some town driving and its 100kg more?

Also when i started this morning the engine management light came on D: There was no difference in the drive so ive left it with the battery disconnected whilst im in uni today! Also had a quick check that could unlock the car with the key and the boot and drivers door doesnt work with the key! D: only the passenger door unlocks! D:
Thanks given by:
got 680miles driving frommy camp to cornwall once. i regulaly get 45-50mpg's and ive gto a heavy right foot!

I service her every 5k.
Thanks given by:
(27-02-2013, 12:41 PM)SRowell Wrote:

and then i replaced my MAF sensor and it was a lot faster and more economical!

And sean how the hell are you getting 650 out of a tank!

I dont drive round with anything in it apart from me, some jackets and a sub and tiny amp. Its had a second MAF put on it which improved things and all the tyres pressures are at 35 which is what they are meant to be? Its not as if i drive it particularly hard. I guess its because i do 260 miles on the motorway and the rest is all in town driving! If i was on motorway from start to finish im sure i could get about 580 out of it. Cant think of any reason why it shouldnt be getting 650. 150 miles difference just because im doing some town driving and its 100kg more?

Also when i started this morning the engine management light came on D: There was no difference in the drive so ive left it with the battery disconnected whilst im in uni today! Also had a quick check that could unlock the car with the key and the boot and drivers door doesnt work with the key! D: only the passenger door unlocks! D:

Sam I bet your motorway speed has something to do with your fuel consumption.... Tbh I would expect over 650miles to a 60 litre tank from a HDi. But it seems you either get a good one or a bad one, nothing in between, no one has found the magical mpg raising part yet though...there must be something failed on the bad ones that makes a huge difference, we just don't know what yet!

And whats up with the key lol?
Thanks given by:
I swear, every thread ends up about mpg.

I just fill up, then top up later. Who really cares about their mpg? :/
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
This thread started about mpg Dec.... lol If Sam had cared more about his then he wouldn't have run out. lol

I'm not 'too' fussed by mpg in all honesty, I'm fussed by knowing how many miles I'll get to a tank (as I don't trust the guage) and I'm fussed by how much each mile costs - so I know a 25 mile round trip will cost roughly £3.15. MPG is just the figure thats needed to know those other things. Smile
Thanks given by:
Nah it started because i kept putting it off until i decided to get some and then ran out 20m from the pumps Big Grin Like a boss!

ON TOPIC

When i started today the engine management light came up! my air bag light had been flashing too so i left the battery disconnected whilst i went to uni and it didnt clear any of the lights!

Any ideas about engine managements lights after running out of fuel? Its been driving the same if not better today!

Oh yeh motorway speed probably has something to do with it. im constantly at 3k for 260 miles. Do the Ipswich to Liverpool Run in about 4 hours :/
Thanks given by:
Yup, cars all drink fuel at 80+, yes even the golf. Tongue. If only it had a 6th gear lol.

Disconnecting the battery doesn't clear the engine light, there is a proper way to do it but I can't remember what atm. Or stick it on my code reader when you're back in Suffolk if you want.
Thanks given by:
if its a intermittent fault, it will disappear as soon as the fault is fixed. If its decided its permanent, it will need a reset.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Tom, you should know what the ingredients for good mpg are, if you don't know it's because you've ignored the last 50 times you've been told. :p

Sam, sounds like you need to get it on diagnostics and spend some time with a multimeter - key problem could be the BSI or just some loom issues.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(28-02-2013, 08:09 AM)Poodle Wrote: Tom, you should know what the ingredients for good mpg are, if you don't know it's because you've ignored the last 50 times you've been told. :p

Sam, sounds like you need to get it on diagnostics and spend some time with a multimeter - key problem could be the BSI or just some loom issues.

I know the 'driving styles' for mpg - I don't know what the key sensors are for it though. As none of them seem to make much difference lol. But it seems ridiculous that I topped the book figures in every car I owned until the HDi's, and the roads I drive havent changed so it must be something to do with the cars themselves.

Also, with the key, now I've re-read it I think he's using the old fashioned way to unlock (you know, having to put the key inside the lock! Confused ) and if thats the case I know you're boot lock is seized (mine is too) but I didnt know your drivers lock was seized as well. :/
Thanks given by:
Yesss! Airbag light was on this morning, opened the bonnet this morning and gave the radiator reservoir sensor a wiggle and its gone! Still getting the low water light intermittently. Will have to swap the sensor over soon!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hammer time ... no wait MOT time, err same thing! Megamonkey 13 13,650 19-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Last Post: Megamonkey